Rear Tire Feedback- Your thoughts? - Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-20-2019, 02:11 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Rear Tire Feedback- Your thoughts?

I have 2009 Midnight Warrior. I searched through the forums and didn't find much.

Currently my bike has 4400 miles or so and needs a new rear tire.
200 50zr 17 Dunlop

What tires have people replaced theirs with? What do you like or not like?

Looking for some suggestions. I would like to order something soon, so I can get back on the road.
AntiN8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2019, 04:30 PM   #2 (permalink)

I went with Bridgestone exedra max. It feels much more domed than stock, and feels like it gets into turns with zero effort.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Diesel_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 04:55 PM   #3 (permalink)

I AVON TIRES..

That's what run......

Just my preference.........

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using Tapatalk
Desertboy13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-20-2019, 05:49 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertboy13 View Post
I AVON TIRES..

That's what run......

Just my preference.........

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using Tapatalk
Ditto. Avon AV80 3D Ultra

Sent from my SHT-W09 using Tapatalk
Rdubu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 11:51 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator

^^^^ x2 Dityo. Avon front and rear. Specs in my Profile on my Bike Tab.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

arizonawarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 11:41 PM   #6 (permalink)

I prefer the Metzler ME880 front and ME888 rear in factory sizing. Avon tires are another great option. Hope this helps.
Rg
InfidelXV1700pcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 10:56 PM   #7 (permalink)

Hi, I got 15,000 km on a rear Bridgestone excedra but had issues as it would slip in corners if I hit any white line markings (Australian roads). Don't know if they're the exact same tyre as in the states.
Swapped to a Metzler Marathon 6 months ago and very happy. They seem to need a little warm up for full traction. Can't comment on longevity yet. Got a fatal puncture recently and went with Metzler again ($310 au) but this time I went for a 55 profile instead of the stock 50. The improvements in cornering and handling are significant and I won't be going back to the 50.
Mates also recommend Avon as a better road holding tyre but say they don't get as much mileage with the softer rubber. Others swear by Pirelli claiming mileage in the mid to high 20,000km range.
Unfortunately you can't try before you buy.
Should also mention that Australian road conditions will probably be harsher than most US roads, road temperatures will also most likely be higher too.
Chuckles8699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 11:40 PM   #8 (permalink)

Bridgestone battlax b020 get good mileage out of them and never had traction issues.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Sandytows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 01:01 PM   #9 (permalink)

Up until this season, I've used nothing but Avons. I like the Avon Storm 3D X/M, it grips VERY well in corners and rain. And you can get a good amount of miles out of them - X/M stands for eXtra Miles.

Unfortunately for me, at the beginning of this season, I ruined my near new back tire by riding with too low air pressure. Not wanting to spend another $200+ for a replacement, I thought now was the time to try something different. Why go different? Late last season, I got a great deal on a Honda VTX1800 and decided to use this more for commuting and use the Warrior more for drag racing. So I bought a Shinko 003 Stealth (appx. $100 less than the Avon). MUCH better traction at the strip! I went from 13.10s to 12.80s of the first weekend. I'm sure I'll be giving up mileage with the Shinko but as I said, the Warrior is my weekend bike when I want to race or show off.

For street use, I recommend the Avon, if you're willing to pay that much more. Just my 2 worth.

Only a Biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.

dfhowes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 03:13 PM   #10 (permalink)

Man 3/10th is alot. Was that all in the 60'?
Heftysmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums > Warrior Forums > Suspension and Tire Tech