Wide tire/swing arm problems (280 Avon) - Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-24-2019, 08:28 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Wide tire/swing arm problems (280 Avon)

So, I picked up a really clean 08 a while back and immediately tore it down for a wide tire setup. Fast forward to recent installation of said kit, and I had pretty bad interference between the belt and the tire. This threw me a bit because due to prior discussions before deciding on the 280 setup, there wasn’t supposed to be anything like this unless I went with a 300, which was never really on the table. I pulled the wheel back off, shimmed the pulley out exactly .250” and reassembled. After getting the belt tight and the rear wheel true, I still have interference between the two as well as another area of concern. I have .055” of clearance between the tire and the belt up top and the belt is just barely touching the tire on the bottom. The other area of concern is clearance between the tire and the swing arm. With everything tight and true I only have .052” of clearance at the apex of the tire left of center. Now the swing arm issue I have no doubt can be remedied with some removal of material and maybe having to add back some weld. My biggest concern is the belt. How much have the 280 guys shimmed out the rear pulley and how have you kept it hub centric as the hub is tapered a bit? Also how much clearance would be at a minimum to be safe between the tire and the swing arm? I don’t really know how much the tires can move and grow.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A33D8747-7408-44DD-A606-0C91ECCBF429_1574641408540.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	101.0 KB
ID:	218714   Click image for larger version

Name:	CCBBD6AF-1544-4592-A2CC-D4C0E8382DF0_1574641477812.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	218716  
Hotrodgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2019, 08:58 PM   #2 (permalink)

First welcome from SoCal.....

Second, who did u get ur wide tire setup from?.?

Third, You should've got a pulley spacer for ur pulley......... Or Pulley's......

I would contact the person u got ur kit from
And get ur space / spacers..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using Tapatalk
Desertboy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 09:18 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for the welcome.

The kit came from a very reputable source I found through the site. I have reached out but haven’t had a response yet. I don’t doubt I’ll eventually get a response, just thought I’d see how much of a spacer some guys are running and what my options are for getting the belt away from the tire.

Pulleys and spacers weren’t a concern in the initial discussions for this setup so none were sent. That being said there was a little concern about setting up a 280 kit for a 280 tire that nobody could get ahold of and get measurements for.

I have some concern about the front pulley as well. If I have to really push the rear out what are my options for the front? Do the regular road star pulleys give any extra real estate to the outside or is it all to the inside. I found some decent info through searches, unfortunately most of it is fairly old and any pictures associated are no longer hosted.

I mounted my pulley back to the wheel without any shimming and the inside belt edge sits just shy of .200” inside of the tire with a straight edge sitting against it.

But again, what would be considered a safe clearance? I no longer have a factory wheel to check what I had before.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F80F2FA9-4038-43E2-AF54-C2D72D3C62A9_1574644620352.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	134.5 KB
ID:	218718  
Hotrodgn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-24-2019, 10:43 PM   #4 (permalink)

If you get a 33 tooth 1600 Roadstar pulley, it’s 1 1/4 inch wide, and would give you 1/8 more inches

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

LeaderDuece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 11:31 PM   #5 (permalink)

Location: From Whittier,California Live in Ventura,California

Have a look down your belt to your front pulley and you'll see where your belt it's running and how much more of a spacer you'll be able to get away with. Better yet remove your drive pulley cover to see.

2002 XV1700 Roadstar Warrior
My Mods
Cobra Fi2000 PowrPro with CVT(Non-Black)
Speedstar Gen2 Exhaust

Riding On the Darkside #2 (235/45/ZR17 BFGoodrich G-Force Comp-2 A/S)

Rudy Jeremias
(562)303-6036
rij1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 01:45 AM   #6 (permalink)

Welcome to the brotherhood and the best warrior forum.

Normally there is a spacer with a 280 set up.

Shadow Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 01:49 AM   #7 (permalink)

Not to throw gas on the fire , but even though I wish I would've went 280
I'm happy with the 250..

It fits and looks awesome and didn't have any Issues like u stated...

I knw its Frustrating, but u need the space
/ spacers. To make it work properly

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using Tapatalk
Desertboy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 02:21 AM   #8 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Usually its easy to get the Avon factory tire dimensions off their USA or UK website, they have even responded to emails. Plus there is a front tire and a rear tire thread with dimensions for many brands and models, both are older tire threads but sometimes members update by posting their tire info.

arizonawarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 04:06 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotrodgn View Post
..... The other area of concern is clearance between the tire and the swing arm. With everything tight and true I only have .052 of clearance at the apex of the tire left of center...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotrodgn View Post
...... I have some concern about the front pulley as well. If I have to really push the rear out what are my options for the front? Do the regular road star pulleys give any extra real estate to the outside or is it all to the inside. I found some decent info through searches, unfortunately most of it is fairly old and any pictures associated are no longer hosted.....
This might be of some interest:
I've done the Road* 33T Frt & 70T rear using a 1-1/2" 130T drive belt with a DIY 240 swingarm.
You can check my Flickr hosted photos if interested HERE for the build and clearances.

The Road* 70T rear pulley is offset approx 3/16" off the Warrior stock pulley centerline. The belt is 3/8" wider and the outer edge of the pulley runs closer to the stock swing arm by 3/16" (half the difference.

The OEM Road* 33T Front pulley (99-03) being wider is also offset by 3/16" either side of center. The Baron 31T pulley I suspect is very similar being that it is made for the Road*. Not having hands on experience with it I can't comment and only speculate!

Be aware that the 33T Road* Frt Pulley using the stock 130T belt will bring your rear wheel approx 0.250" (7mm) closer to the swing arm structure colliding with the apex of your tire.

It's my expectation that your weld-up wheel was widened equally across its centerline as shown below.

View of Caliper Mounting Bracket slotted hole in the Adjusted position using 33T Road* Front Pulley & 130T Belt in bottom 2-photos. As stated this MOD moves the rear wheel forward 1/4" approx.

Based on your interference you'll want to stay with the stock 1-1/8" Belt.

- Starting System
&

&

alanh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 04:53 AM   #10 (permalink)

You have to use a spacer to move the rear pulley out, i think i use 1/4". If you are adjusting your rear wheel using the markings on the swingarm that could be some of your problem. Adjust your rear wheel using a measurement from your swingarm pivot point to the center axle. A modified 280 swingarm could be off due to the modification, mine is off enough to make a big difference. My belt is close to the tire but not touching top or bottom. You can also run a wider front pulley to give you some extra room, but the stock pulley should be sufficient. I ran a widened stock rim for a while and it measured a little less than 10", but now run custom wheels and the rear is some what wider, but no problems with either.

Gilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums > Warrior Forums > Suspension and Tire Tech