Tip for Re-Assembling a Starter's Brushes - Page 2 - Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-22-2014, 02:15 PM   #11 (permalink)

I decided to put on my creative hat today before tossing the old parts because i don't own office furniture .... so if you ever run into a difficult rebuild per my OP a Dime or Canadian Nickle will work too!

It's not likely you'll ever run into a smaller starter brush set than shown here

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Starting System
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&

&

alanh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2014, 01:17 AM   #12 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Awesome! And no tin snips required!

arizonawarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 04:50 AM   #13 (permalink)

I'm changing the brushes on an 05 starter and can't get the **** brushes to stay while fitting over the commutator.

None of the info above applies for the fitting of the new Warrior starter motor brushes as far as I can see. Totally different set up with the springs, plate screws and access.

Has anyone on the forum ever changed the brushes on a Warrior starter? if so, any advice or pictures out there would be much appreciated?

UPDATE...... done and dusted with some help from Heff..... thank's Heff

I'll post some pics later.

TO SEE OLD PHOTOBUCKET IMAGES WITH FIREFOX..

TO SEE OLD PHOTOBUCKET IMAGES WITH GOOGLE CHROME..

Last edited by Caledonian Warrior; 05-23-2017 at 07:22 AM. Reason: brains were somewhere else late last night...all sorted now.
Caledonian Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-23-2017, 05:58 PM   #14 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Glad you got it!

DARK MIDKNIGHT WARRIOR
Check out the DIY MOD LISTfor many free, cheap, easy Mods!! You will be glad you did!
Nightshifter's and Insomniac's Thread New Member FAQ
rcoligan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 12:39 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caledonian Warrior View Post
I'm changing the brushes on an 05 starter and can't get the **** brushes to stay while fitting over the commutator.

None of the info above applies for the fitting of the new Warrior starter motor brushes as far as I can see. Totally different set up with the springs, plate screws and access.

Has anyone on the forum ever changed the brushes on a Warrior starter? if so, any advice or pictures out there would be much appreciated?

UPDATE...... done and dusted with some help from Heff..... thank's Heff

I'll post some pics later.

Thats alright big fella glad to help on the other side of the world. Its all easy now and you are now the northern expert, lol

Heff

heff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 12:35 PM   #16 (permalink)

Here is what I used recently to hold the brushed back. pieces of 14 gauge copper wire WITH the insulation on them. I tried it with no insulation and they would slip out.

16 gauge probably would of been better but 12 gauge would be to big.

I also found it easiest to take the gear off the end of the shaft. That way I can then set the armature, I think it the right term, in the brushes and then slide the center housing, with magnets, on. Just be careful the magnets will pull that housing down at approximately 9 million MPH. Then just set the top plate on and bolt it together
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	22472800_10155778397833545_1309463043_n.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	18.6 KB
ID:	190185   Click image for larger version

Name:	22547712_10155778397838545_1826708391_n.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	20.0 KB
ID:	190193  

milkman672042000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 04:52 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkman672042000 View Post
Here is what I used recently to hold the brushed back. pieces of 14 gauge copper wire WITH the insulation on them. I tried it with no insulation and they would slip out.

16 gauge probably would of been better but 12 gauge would be to big.

I also found it easiest to take the gear off the end of the shaft. That way I can then set the armature, I think it the right term, in the brushes and then slide the center housing, with magnets, on. Just be careful the magnets will pull that housing down at approximately 9 million MPH. Then just set the top plate on and bolt it together
This look like a solution that would work for mine. I've got Joey's old starter in there for now and it works, but mine looks better.

05 Speedstar Stage IV

Brizzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 03:36 PM   #18 (permalink)

+++1!
jimsnorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 08:27 PM   #19 (permalink)

If I have to do this someday, lots of great info!!! Love to see different ingenuity to get the job done!
WORYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 10:59 PM   #20 (permalink)

Does the starter need to be re-lubed with engine oil after disassembly and cleaning?
Advertisement

Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums > Warrior Forums > Technical Discussion > Tech Tips