Tip for Re-Assembling a Starter's Brushes - Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-19-2014, 07:05 PM   #1 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Default Tip for Re-Assembling a Starter's Brushes

To those who keep asking . . . sorry for the delay. See attached.
Its better to download the JPG if you have a small screen.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Starter Brush Reassembly Tip.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	222.9 KB
ID:	82218  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

arizonawarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2014, 08:29 PM   #2 (permalink)

Interesting time for a post like this my brushes will be in next week.
Old 09-19-2014, 09:59 PM   #3 (permalink)

Ha! It works with batteries!

Seriously, thanks for sharing your tips and knowhow.
worry-her is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-19-2014, 10:58 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator

I have not messed with this yet, but would a thin plastic tube cut to the right length work as well? Such as a nylon bushing or the like...

DARK MIDKNIGHT WARRIOR
Check out the DIY MOD LISTfor many free, cheap, easy Mods!! You will be glad you did!
Nightshifter's and Insomniac's Thread New Member FAQ
rcoligan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 06:02 AM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator

A plastic tube would work but the spring-end has a bend in it to press against the back of the brush, so flexible tube would not work and the stiff tube selected needs to be a big enough diameter to accommodate the bent spring end but small enough to fit in that small gap. It seems like tube would be harder to install and remove in the tight spaces but I have big hands.

These plastic caps capture the spring's end without damage and they allow full retraction of the brushes with no chance the spring will push it forward during reassembly, so I've just been doing that as my norm. Plus they can be snagged from any typical wheeled office chair or similar, and even put back on the chair when done if necessary. These caps are most common on office chairs with arms that bolt-on. (attached)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	caps example.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	82306  

Last edited by arizonawarrior; 09-20-2014 at 06:18 AM.
Old 09-20-2014, 08:24 AM   #6 (permalink)

Send a message via Skype™ to tomba

clever prof...a bit of lateral thinking and a great pic set ...i've stolen the pic of course

i know nothing on this subject...not even enough to make me dangerous...but wizzy is an ex sparks so we will see what he knows

wizzy does know how to re-tighten a loose negative terminal on the battery that made the warrior stutter !!!

...................[i knew i'd get him back sooner than later] hahaha

WARRIOR - OIL CHECK VIDEO
tomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 11:17 PM   #7 (permalink)

Gentlemen what you need to hold back the wound spring should be based on your specific application. Something slightly wider than the brush holder and 3/4"-7/8" long approx. I used some scrap painted aluminum siding that i cut to size with a tin snips. Very simple task and 5/16"-3/8" wide.

My last rebuilt was fall '09' on a 87 TRX 350D Fourtrax Honda 4-brush starter as shown in the enclosed photos. I saved the old parts so went out in the barn to put some how to photos together.
Additional photos here: 87 TRX 350D Fourtrax

- Starting System
&

&

Last edited by alanh; 09-20-2014 at 11:22 PM.
alanh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 08:15 AM   #8 (permalink)

You do no need any super wazoo fixes/tools to hold the brushes up.

With long nose pliers or strong fingers rotate the brush spring to clear the top of the brush. Push the brush up so that a portion of it is above the top of the brush housing. Pull the business end of the brush spring up above the side of the brush & let it rest on the side of the brush holding it in place.

Never have had s problem with the above method, have rebuilt quite a few starters & generators.
Insure the commutator is clean & smooth, scrape the grooves between the commutator bars to insure definition between the bars.
Forum member #113

Brother of the Wind

All things great & small should be horizontal or perpendicular to the center line of the earth.

Last edited by Churchkey; 09-21-2014 at 08:32 AM.
Churchkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 11:09 AM   #9 (permalink)

"Never have had s problem with the above method, have rebuilt quite a few starters & generators.
Insure the commutator is clean & smooth, scrape the grooves between the commutator bars to insure definition between the bars."
  • ADDED: your methodology will work just fine with A&W's submittal example
If you get the opportunity to rebuild a Honda Fourtrax starter as i did, with OEM brush set, you'll need to come up with a wazoo fix as your procedure won't work with this powersports starter but perhaps it will with the Warrior .... at that time i even elevated the wound spring assy on its mount to facilitate placing the hooked end to the side of the brush holder and fyi the back of the brush on this design only comes flush with the holder. The brush woven conductor is the constraint coming from the side and its closed side on the brush holder < added

For those of you that want to clean up the armature commutator, be sure NOT to use aluminum oxide sandpaper

- Starting System
&

&

Last edited by alanh; 09-21-2014 at 12:57 PM. Reason: Added Note & commutator
alanh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 01:33 AM   #10 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Glad this conversation prompted other input!

Just from my perspective I've stopped using flat plates simply because I have big hands and the plates need to be cut small, then filed to avoid a sharp edge cutting the brush wire during install/reassembly/removal. Plus they get lost easily. A big thing was the round brush plate itself generally (to some extent) slips into the round starter housing, so if the little snipped plates overhang that circle then they get pushed aside during reassembly, meaning each of the next starter's brushes might need a different plate dimension. I think a lot of this was alluded-to by others earlier.

As we all know, powersports starters are small and have small bits. Sometimes its possible to move the spring onto the side of the brush holder but with these little springs I worry if the darn thing will somehow come loose just to piss me off.

I like the plastic caps because they are round and not sharp and don't overhang the circle so they don't get pushed aside and let loose the spring in tight spaces during re-assembly. Plus their shape captures the end of the spring in the same fashion as the spring's working position. BTW even the larger (pictured) caps allow the round brush-plate to slip adequately down into the round starter housing in most all cases. The big caps look like they overhang the circle, and they do, but the round shape provides a lot of clearance in most cases. Plus I have a set of 4 smaller caps too.

Wanna hear something funny? The first time I did this I put the caps back on the chair I swiped 'em from. Now I have a few caps in a real small clear zip-lock bag in a tool drawer. Every time I put 'em back I figure I'll never use 'em again, but time goes by and something comes up and there they are again.

Probably this is the kind of thing that we all do our own way 'just because' so I wonder if anyone else has a method they use just because they like to do it that way?!

Last edited by arizonawarrior; 09-22-2014 at 01:40 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums > Warrior Forums > Technical Discussion > Tech Tips