RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
in the market to purchase a warrior to modifiy and ride. a friend bougth his first bike this past weekend and i rode the 50miles or so home for him. it was my first time on a cruiser and i'm HOOKED!!! been riding sport bikes for years, and while i can't say one is better than the other, riding the cruiser and cruzin' (for lack of better terms) felt pretty **** good. anyways, did some research on cruisers out there and it seems like the warrior will be the bike for me.

since the a lot of the bike will be slowly reincarnated, i'm not wanting for spend a whole lot on a newer bike. are there any significant differences between the models years (e.g. major suspension changes, engine upgrades, brake upgrade, etc)? i don't plan on putting a lot of power or suspension upgrades so if there was a big change in suspension/engine/brakes from one year to another, that'll probably be the better buy for me.

also what are some common issues i should be looking for when buying a used warrior? are there some common problems older warriors are prone to have? how many miles are the stock drive belts good for?

i'm hoping to land a clean bike for about $6000 or less. found a fairly clean '02 at a near by dealer asking for $7200. it look stock other than some mirrors and exhaust. gonna stop by this weekend and see what kind of a deal i can get while trading in a honda 919. am i being too hopeful here?

lastly, although not related to the purchase, I plan on running 240+ tires on the rear. who makes good kits for this? where are good places to shop for warrior aftermarket parts.

thanks a bunch guys! i know i'm throwing a lot of questions out there. getting excited since i can start a new project again!

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
quote:Originally posted by sy0296

in the market to purchase a warrior to modifiy and ride. a friend bougth his first bike this past weekend and i rode the 50miles or so home for him. it was my first time on a cruiser and i'm HOOKED!!! been riding sport bikes for years, and while i can't say one is better than the other, riding the cruiser and cruzin' (for lack of better terms) felt pretty **** good. anyways, did some research on cruisers out there and it seems like the warrior will be the bike for me.

since the a lot of the bike will be slowly reincarnated, i'm not wanting for spend a whole lot on a newer bike. are there any significant differences between the models years (e.g. major suspension changes, engine upgrades, brake upgrade, etc)? i don't plan on putting a lot of power or suspension upgrades so if there was a big change in suspension/engine/brakes from one year to another, that'll probably be the better buy for me.
Very few changes from year to year, as far as engine there have been none.
Suspension few changes and none that would be noticed.
Brakes, all years use the same calipers and rotors but they did change the way they mount up on newer models(front) which I think started in '06. Some one chime in if I am wrong and it only applies to '07's.

also what are some common issues i should be looking for when buying a used warrior? are there some common problems older warriors are prone to have? how many miles are the stock drive belts good for?
You will want to have the VIN number checked against any recalls.
Thier are members with wel over 20k miles on original belts.

i'm hoping to land a clean bike for about $6000 or less. found a fairly clean '02 at a near by dealer asking for $7200. it look stock other than some mirrors and exhaust. gonna stop by this weekend and see what kind of a deal i can get while trading in a honda 919. am i being too hopeful here?
7200 is a fair price and most exhaust systems start at $300

lastly, although not related to the purchase, I plan on running 240+ tires on the rear. who makes good kits for this? where are good places to shop for warrior aftermarket parts.
Performance Edge or Cycle image for the 240 kit.
After market parts are every where. THere are also some flashing on the screen above your login name as we speak.

thanks a bunch guys! i know i'm throwing a lot of questions out there. getting excited since i can start a new project again!

Good LUck

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the awesome response lemming! looks like that 02 warrio will be perfect for me.

one more questions. i'm not really familiar with how cruisers ride. will there be negative side effects with going with a wider rear tire? when is it too wide? will 300 be unmanagable?

·
Registered
747 Posts
the wider the tire, the harder it will be to lean it over into a turn. Most people with the 240s report very little difference from stock. For the most part, no matter what size, people generally say it just takes a little getting used to.

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
quote:Originally posted by sy0296

thanks for the awesome response lemming! looks like that 02 warrio will be perfect for me.

one more questions. i'm not really familiar with how cruisers ride. will there be negative side effects with going with a wider rear tire? when is it too wide? will 300 be unmanagable?

You may lose some cornering going wider, also a little of your rear wheel power.(with a 240, the bigger you go the more loss).
I quick and easy upgrade for some HP is once you get your bike buy one of Churchkeys V-Baks (Big air kit) on average good for 3-6hp gain. Also the type of exhaust you buy can give decent gains too. This will help to offset some power loss going to the larger tire.

Oh and I ride an '02, so no shame in saving money...uh ..except mine was new when I bought it so I paid full price. [/emoticons/emotion-2.gif]

Once you find the one your looking for post back up and let us know what has already been added to the bike, will be glad to help steer you the right way.

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
Sounds like you have found a good deal, but when you talk to the dealer tell him exactly what you posted "I was hoping to keep it about 6000.00". If he comes down to 6 grand you got a deal, if he doesn't he probably will come down some. After he comes down it wouldn't hurt to ask him to throw in something you need; cover, first oil change when you need it, helmet, gloves etc...

·
Vendor
7,301 Posts
As of 06 there is radially mounted front brakes which does offer better braking. The seat mounting positions are changed on 04 and newer. The front pegs are slightly different on 04 and newer. Otherwise there are cosmetic differences (Steelbraided cables, colors, etc) but mechanically they are all the same. There are 3-4 recalls on the older models so you will want to check on those.

Good luck working things out with the dealer and hope to see you in the fold soon.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for everyone's advice. i've just gave the dealer a call and that particular '02 has 18,000 miles on it. i guess the previous owner really loved to ride! hopefully i'll be able to talk the dealer down close to $6k...cross your fingers guys!

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I would think you could do a bit better than 7200 on an '02. Definately check the recalls before purchasing one. The '02's had a tranny recall that was pretty extensive. Often peopel put new internals into the tranny (roadstar 5th gear) or engine (HC pistons, cams, etc) when getting the recall done. I would pay close attention to the cable shrouds and finish of the metal on a bike that old. If they look good the bike was probably garaged. The main differences in the models were ergonomic. From '04 on the foot position and the handlebar position were changed to a mroe relaxed position. Also, the two-piece seat allows you to take off the passenger pillion on later models. Other than that and a couple of recalls they bike is pretty bulletproof.

JT

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks JT. i actually just got myself a new '07 today. shopped around, looked at both used and new and got a pretty good deal on this one. i started a thread on it in the welcome forum...very excited for day break now.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts