RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I am new to this forum. I am looking at an 02 warrior for sale and the guy tells me the tranny recall has been done already. He also says when the bike is at idle and he pulls in the clutch to put in gear sometimes the engine dies. Does anyone know what the problem might be? Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
242 Posts
WELCOME to the forum, should be a easy fix, you RPM'S could be set to low at idle,i have mine set for 1,000 RPM, at idle, hope this helps

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Welcome to the forum. could be a neutral saftey switch or a bad electrical connection to the clutch lever or the kickstand

·
Registered
4,938 Posts
I think we need a clearer description of the problem.

"pull in the clutch to put it in gear"

This statement sounds like it is stalling while pulling in the clutch which I have never heard of. I mean it is still in neutral.

We all have fallen for the "pull in the clutch and pop it into 1st gear and she shuts off" cause the kick stand is down.

Like Dr. Evil says...."Need more infooooo, throw me a bone heeerrrre"

Seriously, is it dieing when letting the clutch out while in gear??

If you could be more specific,, we may be able to assist pretty quick.

Oh, and a hardy welcome Sparky!!..if I may be so bold as to call you Sparky.

quote:Originally posted by sparknit

Hello everyone, I am new to this forum. I am looking at an 02 warrior for sale and the guy tells me the tranny recall has been done already. He also says when the bike is at idle and he pulls in the clutch to put in gear sometimes the engine dies. Does anyone know what the problem might be? Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
you pull the clutch in then put it in gear and as soon as you put it in gear it bucks with you then dies. sidestand is not down.

·
Registered
7,695 Posts
quote:Originally posted by sparknit

you pull the clutch in then put it in gear and as soon as you put it in gear it bucks with you then dies. sidestand is not down.

Welcome to the forums sparknit. What you have just described sounds exactly like what happens with the sidestand down, it's a fail safe electrical switch that stops you from pulling away with the stand down. Perhaps the sidestand switch is faulty? You should check it by bypassing the switch just to see if that is your problem but just check the wires to it first and make sure it's clean and not caked in mud or anything, check that the plunger on the switch isn't stuck in.

If you put the bike into Diagbostic mode (on the tach) scroll through to ser 20, this is for the sidestand switch, it will say either 'on' or 'off', as you put the stand up and down it should change between the two (retracted='On' extended='Off'). If it doesn't change then this is a good indication that the switch ist kaput.

Do you get any Error Codes in the Tach Display at all when you turn the bike on? I believe that a Code 19 could be the sidestand switch.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I dont know if it would throw up any codes cause i have not bought the bike so it is not in my possesion. Im just tryin to diagnose the problem before I buy so I dont jump into something major.
Thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
3,508 Posts
quote:Originally posted by paintshakerdave

Sounds like the clutch may not be adjusted properly and drags to the point it kills the engine when put in gear.
That would be my guess.It has happened to me several times after a couple of days of hard riding,burnout or hard launches.I would fire the bike up and go to pull out of the garage and when I kicked it in gear it would die,I adjusted the clutch and it's all good.By the way welcome to the family!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts