RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning I had to ride to my local DVA Office ( about 65k ). When I got to the first traffic light she just died. The good thing was she started straight away however, at each subsequent set of lights she did the same over and over. When I started her up in the DVA car park she was idling at about 500rpm. I thought to myself WTF as this hadn’t happened before. The trip downtown to the Gold Coast went without a problem other than the rear brake. So I pulled the seat off to have a play with the idling screw, unfortunately I could not turn it clockwise. Anti clockwise wasn’t a problem. So I’m wondering if that idling screw is faulty or is there something more that is going on with the bike. Once she gets up and running there is no problem however, I did notice that she was backfiring more today. Your thoughts and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Idle screws is probably turned fully up, hence it won't turn any further.
It sounds like you are running too lean. Probably caused by vacuum leak. My first guess would be LCV failure. How does the bike behave when you first start it up cold?
Could be another source of vacuum leak.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
28,184 Posts
Plus just to take it off the table . .

Disconnect both throttle cables at the motor end, and remove the idle adjustment screw at both ends.

Check that the intakes actuate and spring-return freely. Check for bent bracketry etc.

Reassemble as a fresh set-up using spec dimensions using the manual.

Somewhere along the path you will find the trouble.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi AZ, I’m really glad you mentioned what you have. I haven’t done exactly what you suggested, but I did disconnect the throttle cables. Then I traced the length of the idle screw to where it hooks in for the carbs. Yes I did have the manual with me whilst doing it. I looked at the idle screw connection ( sorry about not quoting chapter and verse ). I decided that it looked a bit grimy so I sprayed WD 40 down the outer casing. This had the effect of losening up the idle cable. I also cleaned around the base at the carbs as it was filthy. I got the idling to get back as close as factory setting I could. Once I cleaned everything up plus put the tank on, I took her out for a serious ride involving harsh and gentle riding for about 15. I then came back and let her idle for 10 mins and she didn’t act up at all. With regards to the backfiring I’m pretty certain that the AIS or whatever it’s called is required. The rub of the green is availability here in Australia which to my knowledge as non existent😩😎😎

·
Administrator
28,184 Posts
I'm wondering if a very old thread still exidts around here that details how to make your own -AIS kit and step-by-step install. When I get a break I will hunt using search criteria "DIY AIS Removal" or similar, maybe it will turn up.
Adding: there are hundreds of threads, cannot keep reading them to find the dimensions but I know they are out there. Between Churchkey, Redhorse, and BillH1943 the info is there. Maybe try better search criteria using advanced search. I'll have to move-on for now to other work.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes I’ve watched Bryan’s video and it is a good one. However as I said getting a kit here in Oz is virtually impossible. If I had my old shed I could fabricate the plates myself, but divorce can be a bitch.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
If I recall correctly I disabled mine on my first Warrior ('04, RIP) with aluminum I cut from a Coke can. Cut to look like the one posted above but thin. The AIS wasn't removed, just blocked off until I got a "proper" kit, which turned out to be just like the pic above.

Doesn't sound like you really need it though.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just found out that it will cost me $250AUD to have the AIS done. I walked out back and still couldn’t find the money tree. I might have to come up with a MacGyver to solve this problem. If someone can give me the dimensions of those plates, that would be most helpful.

·
Registered
366 Posts
If I recall correctly I disabled mine on my first Warrior ('04, RIP) with aluminum I cut from a Coke can. Cut to look like the one posted above but thin. The AIS wasn't removed, just blocked off until I got a "proper" kit, which turned out to be just like the pic above.
Yeah! You can leave the AIS unit, but only block the channels.
If someone can give me the dimensions of those plates, that would be most helpful.
Two ways:
1) I can indicate my measurements
2) you can dismount one of the ports and copy it

·
Registered
13,084 Posts
I bought a small piece of sheet metal from Home Depot. Then I removed the AIS hoses off the cylinders. Then I traced around them with a sharpie onto the sheet metal. Then I cut them out with a dremel grinding wheel. Then I mounted those new plates along with the old gaskets back onto the cylinders.

Might have taken a half hour and 6 bucks.

·
Premium Member
3,243 Posts
I also remember on my first Warrior before making plates I plugged the metal nipples with .45 shell casings (I think that was the caliber I used).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts