RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey all, I found a local shop that sells 100 and 115 octane fuel. I was wondering, will running a fuel at that octane help or hurt our cycles?

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
If you do a search there should be quite a few discussions on this. I run 87 with pipes, AIS blocked, Vbak, PCIII and custom map. It runs great. Should only need higher octane with HC pistons, etc.

·
Registered
410 Posts
For me it depends what there is when I get there. If there is 93+ I'll use it. If not, I use 89 and don't really see any differences!

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
Actually, on a stock bike, you will not gain, but actually loose performance. Higher octain = slower burning = need of more compression. The bike was designed to run on 87-89 octain. anything above that is a waist.... I would recomend running that, unless you are experiencing valve knock....

·
Registered
3,582 Posts
funny i hear that all the time, but when i downgrade to 89 or 87, the bike hesitates is very unresponsive and doesnt feel quite right. I only run 92+ around town, but on long hauls where i am trying to conserve gas, i do get the cheaper 89........

quote:Originally posted by redbullssg

Actually, on a stock bike, you will not gain, but actually loose performance. Higher octain = slower burning = need of more compression. The bike was designed to run on 87-89 octain. anything above that is a waist.... I would recomend running that, unless you are experiencing valve knock....

·
Registered
54 Posts
As another has said, unless you are running high compression, anything above 87 octane is just making the oil companies richer. The higher the octane the harder it is to burn. High compression generates more heat therefore it requires fuel that is harder to burn in order to avoid pre-detonation.

·
Registered
332 Posts
i must agree with the consensus here......93 octane works great on my vstar with high comp pistons and i notice a difference if i run 87 or 89 in it (poor performance). in the stock warrior engine, i notice no difference between 87 and 93.........except of course in the cost of a fillup. but then again, i work for an oil company so i am only padding my own pocket. i would never put the octane grades you mentioned in either of my bikes (waste of my hard earned pesos).

·
Registered
5,891 Posts
So what does a tank of good ol' 115 octane cost now days? $8-$9/gal...

I ran a tank of 111 last year when the temp was into the triple digits because of some knock and it does add a little sweatness to the exhaust...Then I discovered ethonol cured my bikes Ills for a whole lot less $$$

·
Registered
3,582 Posts
naa about 3.50 to 4.00 at any local community airport. have seen it cheaper. used to put the 100 in my car(hopped up Conquest TSi) from the airport. someone told me it was cheaper cause the Road taxes wernt included on gas at airports....cant verify that last part though.....

quote:Originally posted by Monstrddg

So what does a tank of good ol' 115 octane cost now days? $8-$9/gal...

I ran a tank of 111 last year when the temp was into the triple digits because of some knock and it does add a little sweatness to the exhaust...Then I discovered ethonol cured my bikes Ills for a whole lot less $$$

·
Registered
5,891 Posts
quote:Originally posted by dfwrswarrior04

naa about 3.50 to 4.00 at any local community airport. have seen it cheaper. used to put the 100 in my car(hopped up Conquest TSi) from the airport. someone told me it was cheaper cause the Road taxes wernt included on gas at airports....cant verify that last part though.....

I had no idea it was that "CHEAP" now, it isnt much more than 87

·
Registered
7 Posts
When I went from 92+ gas to 87, my 04 Warrior ran better. I used to have a lot of back firing. All that is gone. I have Big Shot pipes and PC/USB installed on the bike.......

·
Registered
718 Posts
I wouldn't use Avgas in anything after what it did to my Camaro. After three tankfulls I had a little hesitation and pulled the plugs out to find them completely fouled. I went back to 91 and it was days before the motor came back around. Don't forget, most aviation fuel I've run in to may have deiceing agents added that can wreak havoc with a stock motor. BTW, just a little bit of trivia. When STP says you have jet fuel in your tank, you really are. Jet fuel is just pure kerosene. Kerosene is great for cleaning carbs and injectors. Just don't add too much.

·
Premium Member
16,372 Posts
My performance modifications are listed below and I run 87 mid grade gas with zero performance issues, such as pinging, excessive back firing. Alot of fuel issues can be eliminated with a very good fuel management system via PCIIIusb and good custom map.

Orient Express, 108ci. Big Bore....1775cc....
Orient Express, High Compression Pistons, 10.50-1
A1 Sportcenter, Custom Ported & Polished Heads....
Patrick Racing, +2 Valves....
Yamaha Speedstar Springs....
Yamaha Speedstar Cams....
Carillo Adjustable Pushrods....
Yamaha Stock Lifter's replaced during rebuild....
Yamaha Speedstar ECU....
A1 Sportcenter, Custom Ported Exhaust Manifold....
Churchkey VBAK....
Power Commander, PCIII USB....w/custom map...
Dyna High Performance Coil's....
Taylor Racing Plug Wire's....
Rinehart Racing Exhaust System....flush cut....

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
nope, don't do it. u could do more damage than good, and end up payin a mechanic a whole lot more to fix it rather than paying the $8-9 per gallon or whatever it costs.[8D]

·
Registered
160 Posts
S$%^ if you want high octane fuel for running NOS or turbo run E85 here in minnasota there are stations everywhere and its cheaper then 87 octane -- you will have to richen your map... and you will get that nice sweet smell

1 - 20 of 31 Posts