RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, with all the good info floating around, I thought I would focus a discussion on those who are interested in the 108 kit.
I too struggled w/ the question of what to do if anything. The hc pistons are not a bad deal for 3-5 hp at $300. But I knew that I would want more. Stage IV S*? cams? nah, here's why:

My budget is $1k or less (preferably less, since this is unplanned expenditure)
With any type of cams, you really don't see full benefit unless you do some cylinder head work so it's kind of a package commitment, which would put me over the $1k mark.
108? Yes, oh yes. I spent some time talking to Skip at OE, and here's what I learned. The 108 includes the 100mm pistons, 10.5:1, associated rings, clips, overbored cylinder heads (exterior paint stripped to expose bare aluminum - my preference), and associated 100mm gaskets. This is good for another 4-5 hp over the hc pistons mod.
Also, the porting of the rear exhaust manifold was highly recommended as it is good for another 3-4 hp.
I'm strongly considering going this route. All those who are pro-108, pls share your thoughts and findings. I need just a little bit more to get me there.....

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
I went with the 108 also but 3-4 hp from porting the exhaust manifold seems way too high. It's only one piston.

·
Premium Member
968 Posts
quote:Originally posted by Arthur

I went with the 108 also but 3-4 hp from porting the exhaust manifold seems way too high. It's only one piston.

Yea wheres the prove. "Dyno sheet."

TRex[/emoticons/emotion-2.gif]

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
This is the way I will probabily go for the reason that it is a good baseline for any future mods like headwork and cams for next year.

·
Registered
4,835 Posts
I'm going with the 108 kit too. you might want to consider getting some Carrillos while you're at it, especially if you are going to eventually add the heads, cams and higher rev limiter down the road, sure at $275 apiece they are not cheap, but would hate to throw a rod later on. That would suck.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I will be getting SS Pistons, springs and cams. The only thing between me an 100 horse is a ECU and the injectors. I cant figure out why anyone would want to get the 108 kit? What kind of power would I expect with just a 108 kit.

·
Registered
3,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
loud,
check out my post at start of thread. The 108 kit is supposed to offer 4-5 hp on top of what you get w/ the hc pistons (top end).
I don't have much experience w/ cams on bikes, but I've have a little with cars (have a Corvette C5 w/Lingenfelter motor w/ heads & cam at 525hp, etc.). The radical cams (any cam for that matter) need better breathing.
I'm curious, what increases are you expecting w/ pistons, springs, and cams?

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
My plan is the 108,cam,either OE or SS, and Ported manifold, Churches VBAK and tricky are in the mail, am waiting on Tree's to be delivered to my source, Feels like Xmas but more expensive.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'm picking up my Baby from the dealer today. Had the Propipe, BAK, PCIII, 30 tooth pulley, lots of add ons. I went with the O.E. 108, cams and ported rear exhaust. The exhaust is important to open up because there is quite a restriction in the stock pipe which causes turbulance and an unequal exhaust flow between the cylinders. This is not noticable with the stock setup but with bigger HC pistons, it will be. The dealer fired it up yesterday but had oil leaking from the cam covers. The gaskets are not included in the cam kit - Rob - how come? They only had 1 in stock so the other one goes on today. They said the bike sounds completely different - wicked - was what he said. Can't wait to rap the throttle.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
We've pretty much always just reused the stock gaskets...without a problem. The key is not hacking them all up when you're taking it apart or when it's apart.

·
Registered
5,034 Posts
I'm going with HC pistons, cams, springs and a PC111. I just couldn't justify the cost of the 108 cylinders, 6 cubic inches. That's a lot of dollars per cube. As for the cam, This is a pretty free breathing bike. With the higher compression pistons, PC111 and the BAK it will make a difference. I can pull the heads off and have them polished next winter.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
As with most anybody price is always a consideration but time was a big one for me, w/no cores available and being the procastinator I am I did not want the bike down for a month, Murphy's Law. I went w/the pistons, springs,PC111 Vbac and Rhineharts, should make a big difference.

·
Registered
490 Posts
just sent mine off for the oe 108 kit i was told by steve that i should see a 25 hp increase with propipe, and bak. i was also told a 2 week turn around if i have everything express shipped. we will see. i hope to have it back by may 8 for the myrtle beach bike weak. i hope to do heads and cam next winter.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts