RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello all,
im miles shy of 16k miles maintenance. im just going to have the shop do the valve adjustment since i can perform the rest of the work. what im curious about is if anyone has had this done and knows how much they paid. the local shop quoted $360 for the valve adjustment and $480 plus parts for the entire 16k mile mtx (like i said i will perform everything minus the valve adjustment). how specific is the adjustment? can i take the bike to a 'generic' motorcycle shop or is it that specific that it needs to go to a dealer? also if anyone is in the baltimore metro area and has a suggestion for a shop that they trust im open to suggestions. thanks in advance guys.
e

·
Administrator
29,681 Posts
A Yami mechanic will be familiar with the dissassembly and reassembly is all. $360 seems very high. That's an hour job, even if 2 hours that's $170 here. But with a free service manual you can do it yourself. That way your pushrod tube o-rings won't leak afterwards from some ditzy mechanic.

There is a link to the free service manual in the Technical Section in a post called Popular Mods.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
wow, excellent! i will look that link up right now! would rather put that $360 into the bike some other way! thanks AZ warrior!
e

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
I checked the valve clearances on my old Roadstar at 17,000 miles and they were perfect. I checked them on the Warrior when I did the HC pistons at around 12,000 and they were perfect.

Most of the guys on the Roadstar forum say leave them alone unless you have some noise.

You are not adjusting the valve clearances in theconventional sense as they are automatically adjusted by the hydraulic lifters. On each rocker you have one fixedarm and one adjustable arm. The adjustment is to compensate for wear and ensure that both valves have the same clearance.

I hope that makes sense

·
Premium Member
8,912 Posts
m2andi said:
hello all, im miles shy of 16k miles maintenance. im just going to have the shop do the valve adjustment since i can perform the rest of the work. what im curious about is if anyone has had this done and knows how much they paid. the local shop quoted $360 for the valve adjustment and $480 plus parts for the entire 16k mile mtx (like i said i will perform everything minus the valve adjustment). how specific is the adjustment? can i take the bike to a 'generic' motorcycle shop or is it that specific that it needs to go to a dealer? also if anyone is in the baltimore metro area and has a suggestion for a shop that they trust im open to suggestions. thanks in advance guys. e
Here's a couple of excellent threads, with comments from some of the heavy hitters,to make you feel more at ease regarding the 16K factory scheduled valve adjustment. Hopefully this info will be useful in your decision process!valve adjustment:http://rswarrior.com/forums/p/22017/281909.aspx#281909
Valve Adjustment?????:http://rswarrior.com/forums/p/25381/285273.aspx#285273
IMO, theWarrior valve adjustment islaborintensive with no real hard $parts to make money on and is the reason for the high labor cost. The dealer/shop is sellingtheir body & soul to perform the task and charges a higher rate because of this!

After reviewing your gallery i would expect that the custom exhaust could be left in place for the removal of the camshaft sprocket cover where as with myV&H Big Shots they must be removed. The coil & sensorrelocate plate must be removed as well as anything else above thecylinder headcovers that is in the way.I would expect the valve adjust/chk to take approx 4 hrs, start to finish

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks a lot guys! i have printed out about half of the service manual so far (im printing it out at my university computer lab since its free)! the last ride i was on the bike there was a strange sound coming from the engine. i should ride it one more time and pay more attention to the sound. it didnt sound like valves needing to be adjusted, makes me worry a little. again thanks for the links and support!
e

1 - 6 of 6 Posts