RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So what do you all think (or know), is there any benefit to running a 190 instead of a 200 rear tire? I have always had a 200 on my '07 with not much luck with getting any decent amount of mileage out of it. Although, I do live on a very twisty rural road and I don't ride very slow most of the time.:D

Thanks for your help,

·
Registered
5,354 Posts
I personally think it turns in a bit quicker than the 200. I'm not sure everyone would notice the difference but I also live in the twisties and can definitely tell the difference. Added benefit is its cheaper. Much cheaper in most cases. Try it. You may not get more mileage but at least you'll save a few bucks.

·
Vendor
3,448 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,574 Posts
Yeah, I think I am convinced too. I am getting close to needing a rear, so am looking at the Pilot Road 2.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
190:

Cheaper
Better and larger selection of tires
Better turn in
Last longer and wear is more even
Most people cannot tell the minor difference in size visually

190 in action:

·
Vendor
7,301 Posts
IMO, because of the rear fender, anything smaller than a 240 looks a bit skinny. Having said that, I noticed right away that the 190 was even skinny-er. But that is the only bad thing i can say about it.

I dragged azz ordering a new tire. Next thing i knew i had cords showing. I needed to get to work on Monday (the bike is my only transport right now) I called everyone within 30 miles of me (in NJ thats HUGE). Everyone and their mother has multiple brand/model 190/50/17 tires in stock, the ONLY people to have a 200/50/17 were the 2 Yammi dealers and they both wanted $220 for the stock Dunlop D220. So, called the shop back with the best price on the 190 Roadsmart ($150) and here i am.

I put the Roadsmart on about 3k miles ago (4 months ago) and the "flickability" is improved. I thought maybe I didnt put something back together right at first but no, it was the tire. Ive just started noticing a slight flat spot in the center and it has tons of tread left. If it weren't for the fender being so wide i dont think i would ever go back to a 200.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I have been running 190s for my last two tires, they are great. I couldn't get more than 2500 miles out of the factory Bridgestones so I switched to the Michelin Pilot Road, then to the Pilot Road 2. I got about 6k out of the Pilot Road and right now I have 5k on the pilot road 2 and I will probably get about 6k before I have to change it. The bigest difference is it gives you a wider contact patch for hard launches. The difference I noticed with the dual compound is they stick like glue in the corners. I ran my pilot road 2 at the dragon with my wife on the back and when we got to the overlook in Tenn I noticed the edges of the tires looked like track tires. They really heated up and bit into the road. I was coming out of curves 55-60 and they never faultered even riding two up. I was impressed and I will definately buy another set.

·
Registered
79 Posts
So if a 190/50 improves handling, has anyone tried a 180/55? Is our stock rim to wide? Could not find any posts about anyone using a 180/55-17 rear, but lots of positive input about 190's.
I have a new Metzler Marathon 210 (not mounted, came with the bike), but now I'm thinking a 190 (or 180) would be better.

Thoughts?, Thanks, JB

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
I have a new Metzler Marathon 210 (not mounted, came with the bike),

Thoughts?, Thanks, JB
Don't have any experience with a 180 or 190 on the Warrior, but I do know, the 210 Metz was absolutely crap, in both handling and wear. I couldn't wait to get back to a 200, which handles great for me :cool:

Gav.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
I have a 200 marathon and am happy with the handling, just want to stiffen up the forks to stop the dive into corners. I can get ex raced on 190 dunlops cheap. They have the corners worn down but heaps of centre tread, might give em a go after readin this thread.

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
Love the 190 better than the 200. Never heard of anyone doing a 180. I'm interested in hearing about it if anyone has run one before.

·
Registered
79 Posts
190/50 vs 180/55?

Love the 190 better than the 200. Never heard of anyone doing a 180. I'm interested in hearing about it if anyone has run one before.
Yeah - it looks like a 180/55 would have nearly the same diameter as a 190, but just a tinch less width. More rounded, to hopefully even out the mismatch with the front tire?

·
Premium Member
1,752 Posts
I to noticed a big diference when I went from a 200 to a 190. The bike seemed to lean much easier. It took me a little while to get used to my new found agility.
M

1 - 19 of 19 Posts