RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here in Europe we have rumours, that Yamaha will soon introduce a new Warrior with the 1900cc/113-cubic-inch engine of the Roadliner.
Who knows anything about such a project ?

·
Registered
6,800 Posts
I guess we need to define 'soon.'

We have been talking about this engine upgrade ad nauseam. Prob won't happen, but....

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Not this year......Wishful thinking, but I dont see Yamaha ever doing this. This bike is in a niche market and has a following. If they were to upgrade the motor and do all the things everyone wants them to (250 rear tire, 113 cu in motor, chrome package) the price of the bike will sky rocket. Yamaha will price themselves right out of their market.

There are other bikes once you get into the $20,000 US range that people would gravitate to more than the Warrior.

If Yamaha does this, they will kill the loyalty of their previous owners and by pricing themselves out, the Warrior will eventually go away.

Face it guys the Warrior is an either you love it or you hate it bike. They are not going to get more people to buy this bike by making the engine 11 cubic inched bigger.

Dave

·
Registered
4,957 Posts
I don't want no 250 tire on the Warrior, bigger, stronger engine would be nice. Lighter would be okay and even tighter handling.

Try here:
http://www.yamaha-motor-europe.com/designcafe/en/public/index.jsp

·
Registered
5,332 Posts
I'm with Centerline. If the Warrior had a 250, I wouldn't buy it. 250's suck big time.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Centerline, I fully agree. Yamaha doesnt have to follow the Suzuki big tire craze. I personally think the Warrior is well put together now as is. Just my .02

·
Registered
11,588 Posts
WOW I didn't know Darkstars bike was that Popular...LOL.. He's probably the only one that will truley ever have a 113 motor in his bike..

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
quote:Originally posted by Warrior_Dave

Not this year......Wishful thinking, but I dont see Yamaha ever doing this. This bike is in a niche market and has a following. If they were to upgrade the motor and do all the things everyone wants them to (250 rear tire, 113 cu in motor, chrome package) the price of the bike will sky rocket. Yamaha will price themselves right out of their market.
I can not agree with this since the Warrior is no longer available on the european market.The 05 model was the last that was sold here.
The regular german price of the Warrior was € 15.000,- oder 19.000 US$ and in other european countries the Warrior was even more expensive.
The rumours say, that the new Warrior will be made for the european market.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I like the warrior the way it is. I'd like to see someone stick a inline-4 into the warrior, like a Busa-sized engine. Think thats possible??

·
Registered
3,582 Posts
dont think they would price themsleves out of the market, look at the new M109, 240, and a MONGO motor, is cheaper than the Warrior, if done right, could do it for the same as now, or a little more..........

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
the price of a 250 equipped Warrior SHOULDnt be any more than the MSRP now. ****- if a guy can mod his Warrior to a 240/250/260/280 for about $2K- a mass production wheel/swingarm option wouldnt cost Yamaha much at all.

·
Registered
369 Posts
quote:I can not agree with this since the Warrior is no longer available on the european market.The 05 model was the last that was sold here.
The regular german price of the Warrior was € 15.000,- oder 19.000 US$ and in other european countries the Warrior was even more expensive.
The rumours say, that the new Warrior will be made for the european market.
Wow...that's interesting. I had no idea that the Warrior was no longer available across the pond[:0]

·
Registered
7,696 Posts
quote:Originally posted by Gerry_the_Viking

I can not agree with this since the Warrior is no longer available on the european market.The 05 model was the last that was sold here.The regular german price of the Warrior was € 15.000,- oder 19.000 US$ and in other european countries the Warrior was even more expensive. The rumours say, that the new Warrior will be made for the european market.

Gerry, Yamaha only ever shipped 1000 units (Warriors) into Europe in 2003 and all of them were Titanium colour. They struggled to sell even these units so did not ship any more into Europe after the middle of 2004. All Warriors that you see in Europe are either the 2003 model or imported from outside of Europe (mainly the USA). I saw a pretty new looking Warrior today which had 2004 plates on it but after close inspection saw that it was an 03 model, obviously it was just old stock that did not sell until 04 or 05.

Now that begs a question. If Yamaha can't generate enough interest in Europeans with the Warrior as it stands and they can't sell enough units to make it financially feasibile to ship them in, then why on earth would they want to go through all of that pain again but with a bike that has a marginally bigger engine? It just doesn't add up.

A friend of mine wants to buy the new Suzuki M109 which is being marketed in Europe. Can he find one anywhere? Can he get a test ride? Can he **** coz very few of the dealers are stocking them because they are not selling. So far they have only sold just over 100 units in the UK and all of them 'to order' so dealerships are not holding any stock. I'm sure that Yamaha are watching the sales of this Suzuki 1900 Cruiser and asking themselves whether it's worth all of the R&D money to develop a specific 1900 Warrior cruiser for the European market. Why develop a bike specifically for a market that doesn't buy many cruisers? We have a sportbike culture in Europe and that's what sells, Ducatis, R1s, Gixxers and Blades, these bikes sell by the thousand every year, the UK sold about 150-200 Warriors in two years! Now the US has a large and well established Cruiser market, can you see where this is going? Your statements do not make any sense to me. If Yamaha do as you are saying then they seriously need to sack someone because it would lose money. Develop a cruiser for the US market yes but not Europe.

Remember that the Warrior, Roadliner, M109 and so on were ALL developed with the US as the prime market - all of these bikes were marketed and sold there first and only then were they adjusted to EU Road Regulations and sold over here. With Sportbikes it's generally the other way around.

·
Registered
5,332 Posts
The Warrior will go away. I hate to say it, but it will be cheaper for Yamaha to build a sport version of the Roadliner than to ground up redesign the Warrior just to accomodate a bigger motor. Throw some shorter fenders, inverted forks, and a different tank design on the Roadliner and, presto, new Warrior.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
quote:Originally posted by DFW_Warrior

... it will be cheaper for Yamaha to build a sport version of the Roadliner than to ground up redesign the Warrior just to accomodate a bigger motor. Throw some shorter fenders, inverted forks, and a different tank design on the Roadliner and, presto, new Warrior.

My thought's exactly. And I think that it will be a fantastic motorcycle worthy of the Warrior name. I don't think that using the Roadliner as starting block is a bad thing to do, after all it is heavily based on the Warrior to begin with. Throw some real R1 forks on it, a decent rear shock and make it handle sweet with a 240MM tire. That would be a bike I would really love to own.

·
Registered
7,696 Posts
quote:Originally posted by DarkStar

Heck, I would be happy with being able to purchase a MT-01....

Ed, the irony of that is that they can't even sell MT01s here in the UK either. Dealers are having to fit aftermarket pipes (Akrapovic) and make other special offers in order to sell any at all! The reason is the price, the selling price for the MT01 in the UK is £9349, that's nearly $18,000. For only a few pennies more you can have an MV Augusta Brutale 910 with a top speed of 160mph! In Europe Yamaha have just priced themselves out of the market with the Warrior & the MT 01. I find this a great shame because they are truly great bikes.

·
Premium Member
16,372 Posts
That's really sad that Yamaha would price themselves right out of the market. For the extra few $$$ you bet I would be making love to the Augusta Brutale....truly a bike in its own class....

quote:Originally posted by Brit_Warrior

quote:Originally posted by DarkStar

Heck, I would be happy with being able to purchase a MT-01....

Ed, the irony of that is that they can't even sell MT01s here in the UK either. Dealers are having to fit aftermarket pipes (Akrapovic) and make other special offers in order to sell any at all! The reason is the price, the selling price for the MT01 in the UK is £9349, that's nearly $18,000. For only a few pennies more you can have an MV Augusta Brutale 910 with a top speed of 160mph! In Europe Yamaha have just priced themselves out of the market with the Warrior & the MT 01. I find this a great shame because they are truly great bikes.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts