RS Warrior Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've tried several times to install my clutch cover. It does not want to go on easily. The first time after install I couldn't pull the clutch handle. Took it back off and got it on somewhat easier but now the gear shifter wont move. The clutch seems to be working fine. I am able to remove the shift shaft assembly easily from the case by hand. Is that normal? I have the Push 1 Rod (P/N 4XV-16356-01-00) facing the rear during install. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

vhockin

·
Premium Member
'05 Midnight
2,960 Posts
Just a friendly heads up that you may be on the wrong site. This forum is 100% dedicated to Roadstar Warriors. You might get a helpful response from someone who happens to be familiar with your issues but generally, you’re not going to get much help from this site.

Consider joint the Road Star Clinic. You should get all the help you need there.

·
[Retired Admin-SuperMod]
31,483 Posts
The R*1600 side cover is very similar to the R*1700 cover and the R*W cover. Common obstructions during reassembly are the roll pins (alignment aids) and the clutch push (pull) rack. Also, the clutch disk stack needs to be correct and the basket set correctly.

There is a link to the R*1600 service manual on the Road Star Clinic forum that has already been provided in this thread. As mentioned by others, it's smart to get your model-specific tips and tricks from those experts.

That said, post pics of your bike, I'll enjoy 'em because that is a great machine!

·
[Retired Admin-SuperMod]
31,483 Posts
Adding to my post above.

In case you don't already have the manual, my copy of the 1999 R*1600 manual shows the clutch arrangement on 5-64. It's the same for most or all model years but verify. The 1999 models in the manual are XV16AL, XV16ALC, XV16ATL, XV16ATLC. These are I believe USA49 and California models.

See page 5-68 for how to inspect/ check the pull lever shaft and pull rod. The pull lever shaft has the pinion teeth. The pull rod has the rack teeth. The shaft has a circlip. Notice rack direction, and use grease to help hold the rack for assembly. It also shows the correct set positioning of the pickup coil and its wire and what to use to seal the grommet. The grommet can in rare cases be the trouble in tightening the case cover.

5-73 helps to clock and gap the clutch cable motor end external lever. If off, it matters.

5-74 notice shift shaft parts orientation.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts