RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last weekend I finally got the rest of tools needed to remove anything from my Warrior.
While processing to remove all electrical harness connectors and mark them, I arrived to the seat area. Everything went smooth, ECU bracket was removed easy, battery box... except 2 connectors that run along the oil tank. DANG. One was the oil temperature sensor (goes on the engine's lower right side) and one is lost somewhere under the oil tank... It looks like a small connector hidden there, attached to the oil tank. There is virtually NO space to pass the connectors through. How do I disconnect them? I wonder if removing the oil tank cover will suffice to clear the space needed for connectors passage. Let me know how should I tackle this issue. I hope I do not need to remove completely the oil tank.

I will take pictures tonight, so you see what I mean. While I was working on the bike to remove the components, I was amazed how well was everything placed... until I arrived to the 2 above mentioned connectors. What a pain...They are the last 2 connectors who stop me from completely removing the harness and repair the damage present on it.

Thanks guys for posting your suggestions... I really need you on this one.

·
Premium Member
1,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think that might be it, Alan (from looking quickly at the service manual, just about to leave work). From my memory, the wire is pretty thick, wrapped on a OEM rubber factory band at 45 degrees angle (not the thin rubber sleeving we have covered with a ton of electrical tape). If you look under your seat, you cannot miss those 2 wires... they run toghether through the very small space between the middle frame and oil tank.

Give me 2 hours to post the picture, it will be clear to you what I have to fight with.

·
Premium Member
1,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Alan, I was hallucinating about the OEM rubber factory band at 45 degrees...

It is there... but on a different location. Now, the pictures speak for themselfs. Let's take a look.

Oil Temperature Sensor:

There is no way I can pass the sensor connector through the clearance zone.
Can the small bracket you see in the clearance zone be extracted without removing the oil tank? In the picture, the sensor wire is resting on it. You see my dilemma here... I also need to order some sleeve that covers this wire, is there a specific name for it? It looks like some sort of heat shield sleeve, since it is used near the engine area also.

Second Wire:

Now, this looks easier to work with. I need to remove the reserve tank. Do I have to worry about any broken seals?
Once the tank is removed, I can actually see better what is going on in there, where the white bracket/connector is located.

Let me know if I should NOT do anything stupid with the reserve gas tank. In the service manual, it looks like all I have to do is remove few bolts...

I also have another question. I could also cover the the current damaged sleeve with convoluted tubing and use some wide shrink wrapping to fix it in places a ton of electrical tape is used. Should I go this road or actually order a new harness? The wires are not damaged inside, just the sleeve is comming apart...

·
Premium Member
8,921 Posts
I would document the various wire colors and polarity of the specific connectors and just extract the crimped pins to R&R the harness w/o the connectorsor as you stated remove the aux fuel tank mounting screws to faciltate the R&R. I've not been down this road as stated earlier! Good Luck

·
Premium Member
1,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That is a very good solution, Alan. However, I never extracted any crimped pins out of a connector, especially on my Warrior. I cannot grab the actual pins... Can I gently pull the wires with a pair of pliers, so they snap out of the connector housing?

Almost there... soon the wires will be free. That is the last step on removing the harness. Do you agree that Yamaha engineer was not very bright with this "mod"? I think his wife called him: "Come home now!" He stacked the wires in there and gone he was...

I will document my experiences in this thread so if someone else will venture my way, they will know what to do.

·
Registered
8,318 Posts
If you cannot figure out how to get the pins out of the connectors there is another method.

Just cut the wires in a convenient place.

Reassembly, Slide shrink sleeve on the wires, braid them & solder, put the shrink sleeve in place & heat the sleeve.

·
Registered
260 Posts
+1 on Church's idea. You should be able to get the terminals out of the connector plug. Using a sewing needle look at the face of the plug and see if you can see the release latches of the terminals. Alos look to see if there is a plastic release latch on the face of the connector also. By face I meen the side that would actually make contact with the mating connector.

·
Premium Member
1,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys. If I can find out how to remove that bracket in the clearance zone where the wire is resting on it, I will be OK. I cannot find anything in the service manual, related to it. Once the bracket removed, I should have enough space to pass the connector through clearance zone...

Now, where can I can that type of wire sleeving, like in the picture above?
And what would you recommend me to replace with for the sleeve that covers the big harness that goes along the body frame?

·
Premium Member
8,921 Posts
boomstick said:
+1 on Church's idea. You should be able to get the terminals out of the connector plug. Using a sewing needle look at the face of the plug and see if you can see the release latches of the terminals. Alos look to see if there is a plastic release latch on the face of the connector also. By face I meen the side that would actually make contact with the mating connector.
+2 for Churchkey or +1 for boomstick ... theliquid tight connectors come apart just like all the other Hitachi connectors. I suggest you review REDHORSES discussion of internal handlebar wiring where the crimped pinremoval is covered in detail. I use a minature screw driver to depress the plastic tab in the plug as described by boomstick

·
Premium Member
1,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks guys. I will grab a pair of very small screwdrivers and fiddle with the connector tonight...

Just for reference (from Richard's site, currently down):
You can remove these metal terminals from the plastic connectors without damaging them. If you look at the end of the plastic connector, there are little plastic levers next to the metal terminals. If you depress the plastic levers, the metal terminals will pull right out. I used a small paperclip to press the plastic levers and then leveraging the paperclip against the terminals enough so that the terminals didn't lock back in. You can see the top left photo of the blue connector, the terminals and wires have been disengaged and they will pull out of the plastic housing.

I still need advice where I could order online the heat shield sleeve present on the oil temperature sensor and what wrapping I should use to replace the big harness sleeve. Convoluted tubing with shrinked tubes at ends will do, for the big harness?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts