RS Warrior Forum banner
  • It's back! Enter your bike HERE for the Warrior of the Quarter Challenge!
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question. I have a 2002 that loves to shut off while riding at speeds under 60. As if you hit the kill switch. No matter what you try to do to restart it. Nothing works until you hit the horn a couple times. Has anyone else experienced this?

·
[Retired Admin-SuperMod]
31,907 Posts
Welcome aboard.

Odd problem. So before going further, may I ask how you are certain it doesn't happen above 60mph. Also, how you know that pressing the horn button solves it? I don't intend any disrespect, it's just a question that needs to be asked.

May I also ask about your bike. It's a 2002 Road Star Warrior, right? Or is it a normal Road Star. How long have you had it? Do you know if the several recalls were completed by the dealer?

One other thing. If you post clear pictures of your bike, from both sides and front/back, and also two clear pictures of the hardware and wiring under the rider seat, it will help. If you have pictures of what is under the top fuel tank it will help even more. If not, we can ask for them later (although you probably want to post them anyway so others can help you).

Hang in there. This trouble is probably harder to find than fix.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This only happens when I am riding normal highway speeds or lower. When I am riding hard I have no problems. It is a 2002 warrior. When it stalls I can tap the horn a few times and it will fire right up without stopping. Any other combination of buttons does nothing.

·
Registered
240 Posts
That's probably the weirdest automotive issue I've ever heard of. When I was tracking down my clock issue (reset every time I started it) I went through every electrical connection I could find (headlight assembly, under top tank, under seat) and cleaned them all with contact cleaner. Turned out to be a fuse - it looked intact but didn't have continuity when checked with my multimeter.

May the force be with you on your search for this gremlin.

·
Super Moderator
'05 Midnight
3,703 Posts
This only happens when I am riding normal highway speeds or lower. When I am riding hard I have no problems. It is a 2002 warrior. When it stalls I can tap the horn a few times and it will fire right up without stopping. Any other combination of buttons does nothing.
Have you verified that all recalls have been done? You may have a weird combination of failures caused my multiple recalled issues.

·
[Retired Admin-SuperMod]
31,907 Posts
I suspect this is a fake. He does not actually reply, he just loosely repeats from original post (op). He has not posted pictures so we can look for problems. And the trouble solution he describes is not electrically possible unless significantly terrible mods or repairs have been done (and even then its probably impossible).

There is always a chance that assumptions are being made by the Original Poster (OP) who in this case is cjworthman, but even then honking the horn resulting every time in being able to start the motor?

I half expect to soon receive scam pm complaints. You know, hey my buddy has that part email him. The only thing that has stopped me from swinging the moderator bat is fascination that someone would post that and then ignore obvious offers to help if pictures were posted.

Members here offering help have already typed far more than the OP, who BTW has logged-in five different times from 3 different IP regions and has failed to actually respond to any questions. He just loosely repeated the useless trouble and solution. It feels false. I hope I am proven wrong.

·
Super Moderator
'05 Midnight
3,703 Posts
I'm with you on every point but I'm also aware that sometimes, too many requests can overwhelm people and they need to be broken down into single, straight-forward tasks. I deal with this everyday at work. I'll send out a request with four asks. The response will address one of them, and not necessarily the first one. Then I'll follow up on the other three and will get a response that covers two... It's frustrating so if I know I'm dealing with someone that is only going to pay attention to one ask, I try to ask for the biggest, most impactful one first and then trickle the rest out as responses come in.

So, I start with the full set of asks, then adjust to how the person is responding. In this case, you asked quite a few questions. The OP covered a couple of them (highway speeds or lower, 2002 Warrior, horn through process of elimination) but didn't talk about recalls or pictures at all so I thought I'd probe on just one of those.

Lastly, I know that some guys are just men of few words and not all that inclined to social media, forums, or technology in general. Trying to give the benefit of the doubt in this case since it does seem like he's in the right place and the moderator tools at hand aren't raising any flags. For now, throwing him a rope and we'll see what he does with it.

·
Super Moderator
'05 Midnight
3,703 Posts
Funny he was just on 45 minutes ago.
Probably because all the notifications coming through on this thread.

@cjworthman, we really do hope you stick around and we're able to assist with your issue. But since we're not there with you and your bike, we have to rely on you and your communication to assist with troubleshooting and getting your problem corrected.

·
Registered
2003 Yamaha Road Star Warrior
1,232 Posts
My first thought was electrical, but then I thought hold on that really doesn’t make any sense.
If this was “real” someone here would have had the same problem happen to them. Why the 60mph be the demarcation line, if the problem happens below 60 it should happen above 60.
I checked my calendar and no it’s not April Fools Day. I checked to see if I took my meds this morning, nah that okay.
I searched through my manual and no I couldn’t find the Flux Capacitor.
So I’m totally flumaxed as to what the problem can be if it’s a real problem.
It reminds me about a trip I did to Holland many years ago. I remember a story at school about a boy who put his finger in a **** to save his town.
I wanted to see if I could do the same thing.
To cut a long story short I was able to achieve this, but something went wrong. When I put my finger in a **** she slapped me really hard.

·
Super Moderator
'05 Midnight
3,703 Posts
Welcome back!!

See guys, I told you to just be patient! ;)

Yeah, the TPS would definitely be more pronounced and the horn solution wouldn't be the correction step. Very interesting.

Any chance you could get a video of the issue when it's happening?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I can't get a video when it's happening because I can't make it happen when I want it to. It completely random. I can ride for a couple hours and nothing happens. Then all of a sudden it will do it 2 or 3 times in a few miles.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Each time it has happened. I tried something different. A different button, different combinations of buttons, turning the key on and off. The only thing that works is the horn. Has gotten to the point that I don't even let off the gas now. It dies and I tap a few times and it fires right up and continues down the road.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I just read back through all my replies. I want to apologize to everyone. To be honest I never expected that I would get replies so fast. I just posted my question with intent of checking the next day but I ended up sidetracked with work and I haven't even really messed with it much more until today.

I have been trying to find a short with no luck. I just removed the LAS and cleaned it because my thought process was....

Maybe the LAS could be sticking and since it is mounted right against the horn. Possibly the vibrations from the horn is shaking it loose. Turns out that it was not sticking.

I have not ridden in a couple weeks. I'm hoping for time this weekend.

·
Super Moderator
'05 Midnight
3,703 Posts
Super interesting. Honestly sounds like a loose wire somewhere. The horn fix is definitely a new one, though.

I had a brake light/turn signal acting up that was intermittent and I was never able to replicate it or fix it. All I knew was that everything would work fine when I was sitting still and my engine was off. Turned out, I had a loose connection in my running lights connection (blue wire) in the headlight. Spent about 3 hours going over everything I could, looking at schematics, testing... until finally, I could replicate the issue (and correct it) by inserting and removing my front left signal bulb... that got me onto the running light circuit and thinking about a loose connection (engine vibes causing the issue). Sure enough, a simple crimp on a loose connector fixed it!

Maybe something similar for you as well. A loose connection. A creased wire that opens up (breaks connection) with heavy engine vibrations. The horn may just be coincidental, but not causal.

If you have internally wired bars, I'd start there, specifically on your kill switch circuit. Also check and recheck all your grounds as well as your connections in your ECU. Might need to open up your control boxes on your handle bars to see if there is any kind of corrosion or other types of disasters hidden in there. Always look closely at any and all circuits, connections, and insulation to ensure it all looks to be in good order. Clean anything that looks off and use some dielectric grease in all connections you pull apart.

Let us know what you find.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts