RS Warrior Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

So I just bought my first warrior yesterday…its a 2004 with 32000km (20000mi) - in great condition so I did all the checks and changes after I picked it up…Today I went on a run with a buddy and after the first 15-20km, I started running into the following problem periodically throughout the day;

The throttle would become unresponsive and I’d have no acceleration, then it would randomly come back and sound like it was bogging out. The bike has V&H pipes and the PC on it, other than that it ran fine…i was having this issue on level, downhill, uphill, every gear, every speed. I looked through the forums and seen alot of talk about the CPS and TPS, before I take it into the local shop - any recommendations on a solution that could remedy it without me spending another grand or two?

Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
2,071 Posts
Welcome from Southern California!

Here's some info on the TPS recall.

Here's a list of all the potential recalls.

I'd call your local Yamaha dealer and ask for a recall check on your VIN. Also, while not always 100% accurate, check the stamped VIN on your frame to look for recall punches.

Let us know what the dealer says before trying to fix something that a recall fixes.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome from Southern California!

Here's some info on the TPS recall.

Here's a list of all the potential recalls.

I'd call your local Yamaha dealer and ask for a recall check on your VIN. Also, while not always 100% accurate, check the stamped VIN on your frame to look for recall punches.

Let us know what the dealer says before trying to fix something that a recall fixes.

So I called the yamaha dealership - both TPS/CPS recalls have been done. So on to the next issue…all the mechanics around here are working into next week and beyond..

·
Premium Member
4,563 Posts
Was it like it was running out of gas?
If so look into (search) the dry breaks. Unplug them, give them a little cleaning and squirt some WD40 into them and make sure when you put them back together they make a nice and audible CLICK.

Have you check the simple but sometime the overlooked things like ground connections, battery cables, battery connections loose or popping off. Also try disconnecting the PC3 as it might be dying on you or not connected correctly.

Also try running the codes and see what comes up.

Just suggesting simple and free things before you start throwing money and parts at it. It is a new bike to you so assume that no maintenance was done prior to you.

·
[Retired Admin-SuperMod]
30,569 Posts
Some items to verify (select the tuning pdf):

Reference Title:
9 Warrior Tuning and Trouble Tips plus Service Manual Notes May2021.pdf

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Was it like it was running out of gas?
If so look into (search) the dry breaks. Unplug them, give them a little cleaning and squirt some WD40 into them and make sure when you put them back together they make a nice and audible CLICK.

Have you check the simple but sometime the overlooked things like ground connections, battery cables, battery connections loose or popping off. Also try disconnecting the PC3 as it might be dying on you or not connected correctly.

Also try running the codes and see what comes up.

Just suggesting simple and free things before you start throwing money and parts at it. It is a new bike to you so assume that no maintenance was done prior to you.

So I took the tank and seat off, tidy’d up the wiring rats nest and reconnected the PCV - cleaned up the fuel lines, replaced all spark plugs and cleaned the air filters. Took it for a ride and it seems to be running smooth now! Only thing left is the engine light, but I don’t want to DC the battery because I don’t know which map is loaded on the PCV.
Cheers man!

·
Super Moderator
5,868 Posts
If it is running good, clear all your diagnostic codes, ride it again and check the codes again and see what pops up.

·
Premium Member
4,563 Posts
Also I "would" suggest connecting the PCV to a computer and see what map if at all is loaded. When I purchased my second Warrior it came with several bolt ons one being a PC3. So after I get it home and tear it all apart and replace fluids and plugs and clean connections and grounds.......I connect the PC3 to my laptop and you know what, no map was loaded. You never know.
Also by disconnecting the battery you do not lose the map.
I would do what Gilly and I suggested and check for any codes. Start by deleting the old ones.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Also I "would" suggest connecting the PCV to a computer and see what map if at all is loaded. When I purchased my second Warrior it came with several bolt ons one being a PC3. So after I get it home and tear it all apart and replace fluids and plugs and clean connections and grounds.......I connect the PC3 to my laptop and you know what, no map was loaded. You never know.
Also by disconnecting the battery you do not lose the map.
I would do what Gilly and I suggested and check for any codes. Start by deleting the old ones.

So I went through the diag, and had no error codes. So I should just D/C the battery then that should clear the check engine?

·
Super Moderator
5,868 Posts
So I went through the diag, and had no error codes. So I should just D/C the battery then that should clear the check engine?
You ain't done yet! :giggle:

Reactions: Nord04War

·
[Retired Admin-SuperMod]
30,569 Posts
The PC-V will retain its loaded map when the battery is disconnected. +1 I agree with Sir Hefty that you need to connect that PC-V to a computer and see what map exists. See the DOCUMENTATION forum for fuel managers and you'll find the PC5 PC-V section that has manuals if you don't already have them. Plus the manufacturer website has them.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You ain't done yet! :giggle:
So I’ve gone through all these steps on the forum so far, including the PCV map. When I go diag 62 it shows “1”, when I turn kill switch off then back on it doesn’t erase the “1” to “0” as it says it will. Check engine light still on when riding.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts