RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody, and thanks for having me here.

I have a 2005 Warrior with 15,000 miles, meticulously maintained... Has always been a great bike.
It developed an issue that no shop or Yamaha dealer can seem to solve.

It intermittently runs as if it had a carburetor that was stuck on full choke oh, that's the best way to describe it.

The bike has a fresh tune up, fresh fuel, new air filter, new spark plugs, new coils, new ECU, new battery.
It has Vance & Hines pipes and it had a power commander of some sort and I took it off to see if it made any difference and it made none.

I'm quickly approaching the point of no return with this thing as the ECU alone was $700... And I can't return it of course.
Help!

·
Premium Member
8,694 Posts
Really sorry to read this but my knee jerk reaction is an issue with the LCV (Linear Control Valve) … Lots of press if you do a search and easy to defeat for trouble shooting to validate its operation.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Hey, welcome to the forum. I have an 05 myself so after reading your blurb I have a couple of questions 1. Was the commander connected when you had the tune up?
2. Is it up to date with its maps ?
3. Why did you need to get all that stuff in one hit for the bike.
Opinion here, if your Yamaha dealer can’t fix it, find another Yamaha dealer.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Really sorry to read this but my knee jerk reaction is an issue with the LCV (Linear Control Valve) … Lots of press if you do a search and easy to defeat for trouble shooting to validate its operation.
Thank you for the reply! I keep hearing about this valve, where is it and what does it do? And what's involved in defeating it?
TIA
Hey, welcome to the forum. I have an 05 myself so after reading your blurb I have a couple of questions 1. Was the commander connected when you had the tune up?
Thanks for having me ?.
the power Commander was hooked up but we later found out that it didn't even have a program in it. The thing appears to be useless and it makes no difference whether it's hooked up or not.

The parts that were replaced were installed one by one during the past year or so.
A vague code showed up that indirectly pointed to the ECU which is why I replaced it and it did nothing.

1. Feel free to ask w

·
Registered
206 Posts
Thank you for the reply! I keep hearing about this valve, where is it and what does it do? And what's involved in defeating it?
TIA

Thanks for having me ?.
the power Commander was hooked up but we later found out that it didn't even have a program in it. The thing appears to be useless and it makes no difference whether it's hooked up or not.

The parts that were replaced were installed one by one during the past year or so.
A vague code showed up that indirectly pointed to the ECU which is why I replaced it and it did nothing.

1. Feel free to ask w
Hi, with my limited knowledge on all things Warrior I think that If the commander had not been programmed it would be useless. So I would hold off tearing it from the bike. When you get this current problem solved, find a good Yamaha dealer and they will set it up for you. The reason for my question about replacing all that stuff was based on how it was written. It gave me the impression that it had all been done together ( just me being anal lol )

·
Registered
334 Posts
The LCV acts like a choke for cold starts, if this is failing intermittently then bike will go rich. Disconnect it and see if that cures your problem, lots of guys bypass it altogether, especially in warmer climates, bike just might start harder when cold.

·
Registered
932 Posts
The LCV acts like a choke for cold starts, if this is failing intermittently then bike will go rich. Disconnect it and see if that cures your problem, lots of guys bypass it altogether, especially in warmer climates, bike just might start harder when cold.
A failing lcv can cause excessively rich or excessively lean situations. While it performs the same function as a choke it's best to think of it as working in the exact opposite manner. When the engine is cold the ECU adds extra fuel for a high idle warm up. To prevent that mixture from being too rich the lcv opens and adds extra air.
So if the LCV fails in a closed position the bike will be hard to start when it's cold. If it fails in an open or partially open position the bike will probably cold start fine but will be excessively lean when warm and running.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,574 Posts
My 2 cents, maybe over priced at that. You can run the bike without the LCV, many of us do, just need to open the throttle a bit upon cold start so I kind of doubt that's the problem. Sounds more like either a TPS issue or maybe a stuck or bad injector? Questions:

When it goes very rich, does throttle position make any difference? Does it resolve on it's own and if so how long usually? Does shutting it off and restarting make any difference?

Since it runs fine most of the time and to make the diagnosis easier I would disconnect the PC, sounds like it is not working anyway and the bike should run without it if maybe a little lean. Last suggestion and an easy one: Make sure both of the quick disconnect on the fuel line are clean, tight, and spray a little WD40 on the O rings.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
A failing lcv can cause excessively rich or excessively lean situations. While it performs the same function as a choke it's best to think of it as working in the exact opposite manner. When the engine is cold the ECU adds extra fuel for a high idle warm up. To prevent that mixture from being too rich the lcv opens and adds extra air.
So if the LCV fails in a closed position the bike will be hard to start when it's cold. If it fails in an open or partially open position the bike will probably cold start fine but will be excessively lean when warm and running.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
A huge thank you for all the replies.

For starters, we lubed up the fuel quick connects and went for a 200-mile ride and it seems perfect.
A new LCV has been ordered just in case.

We also found these hose's unhooked and capped off underneath the left side panel. What in the world is this about?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,694 Posts
Those are abandoned hoses from the AIS Pump that's still on your ride ... Suggest you download the Yamaha Factory Service Manual and read up on the Air Induction System (For Emissions) and then do a Forum Search for AIS Block-Off Plates

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Those are abandoned hoses from the AIS Pump that's still on your ride ... Suggest you download the Yamaha Factory Service Manual and read up on the Air Induction System (For Emissions) and then do a Forum Search for AIS Block-Off Plates

Thank you.
I probably won't worry too much about it then as the bike is finally running excellent.

Thanks again for your time and knowledge.
👍🏁🏁

1 - 13 of 13 Posts