RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

I figure i would ask here as im always amazed how everyone seems to know about everything! And I know that you guys actually "know" what your talking about...

Friend has a 2007 Triumph Bonneville. He had a seeping (oil) cam cover. He cam over for what we thought would be a 45 min fix. We removed the 4 bolts holding the cam cover, removed the cam cover, cleaned and replaced the gasket, reinstalled the cam cover, and hand tightened the 4 bolts (M6) that hold the cover down/on.

Took out the torque wrench, SPEC calls for 14 nm, so I set the wrench at 7nm and was going to alternate each corner torque-ing. The bolt never snugged! Just got mushy.... I pulled it, and saw the crescents of aluminum from the now stripped threads within the cam cap...

sigh....

The bolts each thread into the cam cap, which holds the cam shaft. the shouldered bolts stripping are apparently a "thing" on these bikes. The comon repair is to time-sert or heli-coil (i like timesert) the cam cap.

(LINKS TO ABOVE:08 Bonneville. Camshaft Holder - Triumph Forum: Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums

Stripped cam cover bolt - Triumph Forum: Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums )

THE QUESTION:

the cam shaft is visible through the threaded hole on the cam cap. so now way are we going to drill it out with it installed. The "other" forums all mention that you just remove the cam cap AND TURN THE MOTOR (and thus the cam lobe) to the top of its cycle to minimize tension on it.

Is it that simple?

1 - put bike in gear, rotate till cam lobe is "closed" (no tension) over both lifters
2 - remove the 2 torx bolts (make note of which end of cap is front/back)
3 - remove cam cap (is there anything under it that will fall apart or is super critical?
4 - insert helicoil
5 - clean, oil and replace cam cap (with same front/back as noted in #2)
6 - properly tighten the torx evenly, in steps, to recommended torque

Am I scared of this for nothing or does this need to go to a "professional"? Seems like if I can easily remove that cam cap, put it on the drill press, get the helicoil in it, and just drop it back on the bike, I'd be golden! I am just anxious that when that cap comes off, there will be 1 million bearings that will fall out, and everything needs to be positioned within a billion ten thousands of an inch accuracy or we'll burn up his cam, lifter, motor, and all of civilization as we know it.

Im trying to save the world here...please help.

2 Pictures below
Center opening between torx is striped

·
Premium Member
3,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
This is a perfect example of our community really being a step or 2 above others...

although no replies were publicly posted on this thread (out of concern for not being 100% sure), I still rcvd PM's with help, links and PDF attachments. This member puts the "B" in the EOBA banner he already has.

My friends bike is successfully back together with a time-sert repairing the striped threads on the cam journal.

·
Registered
1 Posts
So was it easy as taking the Cam holder out Repair it with a time sert and reinstalling it?
I'm going Through the same issue

1 - 3 of 3 Posts