RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to do the first oil change (600 miles) after installing the Orient Express 108 cubic inch kit. I live in South Carolina, so it's pretty hot here - I'm guessing I should use 20w50?

Thanks in advance for the help.

·
Registered
4,527 Posts
I use 20-50 in the summer and 10-40 in spring, fall and especially winter. Use whatever brand blows air up your skirt because I personally think most of it is hype. I have the pistons sitting next to me that had 24k miles when pulled and they look fine using GTX and changing at 2-3k regularily

·
Super Moderator
8,496 Posts
I've run 10-40 -even here in FL. As long as it's changed regularly it's not worse than 20-50/20-40. I've had my engine apart twice and all the clearances are within spec. I don't however spend alot of time in heavy traffic, and after one run down main street during bikeweek, the oil is pretty much toast and it gets changed after bikeweek regardless of mileage if I do ride down there -which I try not to do.

·
Registered
4,527 Posts
here's a couple of interesting articles I have posted on my site from back a couple of years ago when I went on a research frenzy

[url="http://www.yft.org/tex_vfr/tech/oil.htm>http://www.yft.org/tex_vfr/tech/oil.htm

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Very interesting! Thanks Washington Warrior, I guess I'll be using Valvoline 20w50 dino for the next 3000 miles, then switch to Mobil 1 instead of Motul synthetic.

·
Registered
4,527 Posts
yeah, after reading the only actual test results on oil I could find, I decided if I change my oil at 3000 miles, it didn't make a heck of a lot of difference what oil I used unless I ride in high traffic or high temps. So, I use GTX because it's cheap and came in third in it's ability to hold it's viscosity. I saw no indication on any of my internal parts that there was anything wrong with the way it works. But like the articles say, if you aren't sure and don't want to take any chances, go ahead and pay 25 bucks or better at every oil change

1 - 9 of 9 Posts