RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: How wide is raider wheel?

Well I just went to the local Yamaha dealer to get my 210 dismounted and was hoping to look at a raider there, but they're all in storage now for the winter. The mechanic said he measured 6 1/4" but that was with the tire still on the rim so prolly more of a guestimate.




JIHBONE said:
i think its 18X7.5 thats wat the raider forum guys r sayin.


They must be measuring the outside of the wheel, our wheel is 7" on the outside, and 6" on the inside. Good to know though cause I'm gonna guess it's just 1/2" wider than ours.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,916 Posts
Re: How wide is raider wheel?

Metzeler recommends a 7-1/2" rim but it seems I recall a 7" rim mentioned in reference to the Raider.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,912 Posts
Re: How wide is raider wheel?

wyomingwarrior said:
Well I just went to the local Yamaha dealer to get my 210 dismounted and was hoping to look at a raider there, but they're all in storage now for the winter. The mechanic said he measured 6 1/4" but that was with the tire still on the rim so prolly more of a guestimate.


JIHBONE said:
i think its 18X7.5 thats wat the raider forum guys r sayin.

They must be measuring the outside of the wheel, our wheel is 7" on the outside, and 6" on the inside. Good to know though cause I'm gonna guess it's just 1/2" wider than ours.
As stated the Raider rear wheel is 18" x 7-1/2" where as the Warrior is 17" x 6"


TheMetzler 210/40R18 is a NEW tire size and was built specifically for the Raider 7-1/2"rearwheel and will fit on a 7.00-8.00 in rim according to their '08' tire guide.


This type information is readily available in the Owner's Manual Onlinethat can be viewed on the Yamaha factory site here: http://www.starmotorcycles.com/star/service/viewmanuals/star_manuals.aspx


There's some excellent info listed in the rear of the manual under specifications. Even transmission ratios and frt/rear pulley specs



Most alloy wheels are nominally 1/2" wider, approx, as wheel width is measured at thesealingbead.


 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: How wide is raider wheel?

slngshott said:
Why the need? U putin raider wheels on a warrior?


Actually sending my wheel into Kosman to have it widened to fit the 210. Wow I didn't know it was that wide. I was just gonna have mine widened 3/4 of an inch. But I can go up to 1 1/2 inches for the same price. I really like the 17" wheel. Don't want an 18" and don't have the extra for a DIY 240. This will only be $450 + whatever powdercoat I do cause I have a midnight. THANKS GUYS!



This project was delayed about an hour ago..... I just boxed up my wheel and was bout to go ship it, when one of our renters notified us they're moving out of state. We keep their deposit but now we need have to pay the morage on 3 houses (evicting renters in Michigan also). When it rains it pours!!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,912 Posts
Re: How wide is raider wheel?

wyomingwarrior said:
Actually sending my wheel into Kosman to have it widened to fit the 210. Wow I didn't know it was that wide. I was just gonna have mine widened 3/4 of an inch. But I can go up to 1 1/2 inches for the same price. I really like the 17" wheel. Don't want an 18" and don't have the extra for a DIY 240. This will only be $450 + whatever powdercoat I do cause I have a midnight. THANKS GUYS!


This project was delayed about an hour ago..... I just boxed up my wheel and was bout to go ship it, when one of our renters notified us they're moving out of state. We keep their deposit but now we need have to pay the morage on 3 houses (evicting renters in Michigan also). When it rains it pours!!
wyomingwarrior .... sorry to hear about thedelay



I would suggest you review the economics of going with a Dunlop 240 tire on the larger weld-up rim in lieu of the very pricey Metzeler 210/50zr17 on the 6-1/2" wide rim. You'll go through 3 Metzeler rear tires as well as the mounting chg's which will pay for the 18 x 8 or 8-1/2" rear rim and Dunlop tire
and you'll ajust to the handling very quickly
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Re: How wide is raider wheel?

If I can just get renters in at least one our houses I'll be good to go........ anyway..... I'll keep everyone updated on the process.


Don't really care for the 240. The DIY 240 is about $800. I can widen my wheel to 7 1/2" for $450 (adding anything up to 1 1/2" is same price) and that'll make the 210 fit properly and get good milage out of it. I want to keep my wheel a 17" also. I've heard the 240 raises the rear about 1 1/2 inches. I can get a 210 through Dennis kirk for $169 shipped.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,912 Posts
Re: How wide is raider wheel?

wyomingwarrior said:
If I can just get renters in at least one our houses I'll be good to go........ anyway..... I'll keep everyone updated on the process.


Don't really care for the 240. The DIY 240 is about $800. I can widen my wheel to 7 1/2" for $450 (adding anything up to 1 1/2" is same price) and that'll make the 210 fit properly and get good milage out of it. I want to keep my wheel a 17" also. I've heard the 240 raises the rear about 1 1/2 inches. I can get a 210 through Dennis kirk for $169 shipped.
I'm confused with your logic here



The 210/50zr17 as stated is made for a 6-1/2" wide rim. What are you planning to mount on the 7-1/2" wide rim

[*]Not the Raider tire as it's made for a 18" rim[/list]


Further, the Kosman weld-up wheel (18 x 8-1/2" square edge)cost me $595.00 back in Dec '07' plus shipping charges!


Frankly, i didn't think that they could widen a stock wheel 1/2" only. I thought there was a minimum of at least 3/4" for the doner parts???


Also, the 240/40 Dunlop Elite 3 can be had for $135.00 if i'm not mistaken and you'll get 10,000 miles on that tire. You'll be lucky to get 3500-4000 miles on that Metzeler even with a 1/2" wider rim.


EDITED: http://www.jakewilson.com$137.99 Landed to your door! I recently mounted one on a friends bike from them.

[*]3 tires x (169.00 + 25.00 mounting) = $582.00 - (138.00 + 25.00) = $419.00 difference
[*]2 tires would = $ 225.00 difference[/list]


Good luck
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Re: How wide is raider wheel?

AlanH said:
]I'm confused with your logic here



The 210/50zr17 as stated is made for a 6-1/2" wide rim. What are you planning to mount on the 7-1/2" wide rim

[*]Not the Raider tire as it's made for a 18" rim[/list]


Further, the Kosman weld-up wheel (18 x 8-1/2" square edge) cost me $595.00 back in Dec '07' plus shipping charges!


Frankly, i didn't think that they could widen a stock wheel 1/2" only. I thought there was a minimum of at least 3/4" for the doner parts???


Also, the 240/40 Dunlop Elite 3 can be had for $135.00 if i'm not mistaken and you'll get 10,000 miles on that tire. You'll be lucky to get 3500-4000 miles on that Metzeler even with a 1/2" wider rim.



I'm not putting a raider 18" 210 on, I already have a 210 on the stock wheel. A Kosman 18 x 8 1/2 I was told will be over $600 with the bearing install + the shipping on top of that. PLUS I must fork out the $138 for the 240 equaling almost $800. I already currently have a 210 with only 500 miles on it and looks BRAND new. The only reason you get 3,000 miles out of a 210 on a stock wheel is because the tire is too wide to fit on the stock 6" rim. Though some have reported up to 4000 miles on the stock wheel. You can't tell me that by widening the wheel 1/2 inch to properly fit the tire, you'll get the same milage out of the tire as if keeping it on a 6" rim. I only planned on widening it 1/2 inch (yes I made sure they can do it, their site states 3/4" min but they said they could do 1/2" and the first 1 1/2" is same price). They also said they'd do bearing included in price. Though I think (now that this project is delayed) I will actually do 3/4" total, that way the 210 fits properly and should get 5,500+ miles and will only cost me $450 compared to $800. I am on a budget and even if wanted the 240 I wouldn't be able to do it, and it would take a long time to store that $450 to until I get the extra $250. Plus like I stated earlier, I've never been a fan of having the rear lifted the 1 1/2" by going to an 18" diameter wheel.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,912 Posts
Re: How wide is raider wheel?

.... not to have the last word here but you might want tovisit the tire manufacturers web sites forthis data.


Another factor that contributes to therapid wear on the 210 Metz 880 is thethin tread depth.


The18" dia wheel doesn't lift the bike 1-1/2" as the 240 tires are low profile.


Here's some comparisons of the tires in question and the slightlylarger diameter tire will only raise the bike 1/2 the difference or the radius













Tread depths


Diameter








0.217"
(5.5 mm)
210/50r17 Metzeler
25.28









0.256"
(6.5 mm)
240/40r18 Metzeler
25.79









0.375"
(9.5 mm)
240/40r18 Dunlop Elite 3
25.91



Good Luck
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,916 Posts
Re: How wide is raider wheel?

Mike,

Alan is absolutely correct and is simply trying to help avoid making a mistake that will eventually cost you more money in the longrun.


I checked the Kosman website and the 8" rim is $595.00. The 8" rim is the recommended width for the Dunlop Elite III 240. Also you may not need to remove any material from your swingarm to get it to fit and if so very little. My 8-1/2" wheel cost $595 plus shipping both ways which came up to a total of $630. Shipping may now be more, but Kosman's prices have kept fairly stable.

Tread depth is a key issue here and is the #1 reason why the 210 (17") Metz wears out so quickly. 1/2" in rim width isn't enough to gain the additional mileage you're desiring. Also, the 210 on the Raider is a 210/40R18 which is completely different tire than the 210/50Z17.

A couple other things to consider:
The 240 size tire is going to be around for a while due to it's popularity.The 210/50Z17 is an odd size tire so how long is it going to be available? You end up widening your rim 3/4" and possibly have no options for a tire to fit it. With companies downsizing worldwide and reducing their inventories they can't afford to manufacture or stock dead items.

Secondly, you end up with a wheel that you not only can't sell to someone else but also can't modify it again. You would need to purchase another wheel and that's costly.

I guess my best advise to you is this. Save your money to do this thing right. Don't be impatient or hasty with your decision. If you do it right the first time, you won't need to spend more to make it right later.

One other thing. I noticed you have been inquiring about powdercoating and I assume it for these wheels. The wheel you get back from Kosman will still have the weld bead on it. It costs nearly $200 additional to turn it down smooth. However, the bead is extremely clean looking and uniform. It almost looks like it belongs there. I had my wheel powdercoated over it and it looks fine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Re: 210 wide wheel project. NEED HELP!

Pep said:
Tread depth is a key issue here and is the #1 reason why the 210 (17") Metz wears out so quickly. 1/2" in rim width isn't enough to gain the additional mileage you're desiring. Also, the 210 on the Raider is a 210/40R18 which is completely different tire than the 210/50Z17.
First off, I hope you don't take anything I say/have said as arguementative, I'm just trying to gather as much info as i can before doin this mod. I know you guys have been around this bike a lot longer than myself and there's no doubt you fella's know what your talking about and I do greatly appreciate your guy's input.



So what you guys are saying is the 210 doesn't last long because of tread depth? How come all the 210 threads here on the site for years have only blamed the low milage of the 210 on the sole fact that it's only a 6" rim? Guess I've had it drilled in my head through the countless # of the threads stating this and figured widening the rim could fix this issue. I have thought of it being an odd size and the fact that only Metzler makes it. I've tried doing a quick internet search to find a phone # where I could talk directly to personal from Metzler to inquire about the rim size and the future outlook of the 210 but have had no luck finding a phone #. I think I'll change the title to this thread to get more input and ideas. lol



Thanks guys for your input!!!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,916 Posts
Re: 210 wide wheel project. NEED HELP!

Mike,
I'm sure that it's a combination of rim width and tread depth, but 1/2" more width isn't going to make much of a difference. One of the main reasons I went with the Dunlop is because of tread depth. Tires cost way too much to be replacing them yearly and in my case it would be more often than that. I would possibly recommend the 7-1/2 x 18" with the Metz 210/40R18 but they don't list the tread depth on that one.
I know you're attempting to save money on the initial investment, but I'd hate to see it "bite" in the end (no pun intended). Right now you're not forced to do anything, but if you make the change that you're planning, you may eventually end up in a "no ride" situation until your able accumulate enough funds to make another change.

I haven't taken offense to anything you've said or posted. You need to get enough info to make a decision that works for you. It's a tough one.

You're method:
Kosman Wheel Mod (widen 3/4") $ 425 plus shipping both ways

Other options:
Kosman wheel mod ( 8" x 18") $ 595 plus shipping both ways
Metz (240/40R18) 138 delivered

I've sent you my cell number in case you'd like to discuss this.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,214 Posts
Re: 210 wide wheel project. NEED HELP!

Man I sure Hope this project works out for you --BUT--- I can't understand spending any money on anything that would allow you to run a SORRY metz 210 Tire! THEY SUCK!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Re: 210 wide wheel project. NEED HELP!

Thanks Pep.... I'll prolly be giving you a call after Christmas (will be busy working and family coming in). Given the recent financial set backs here in the past day or two, I will have a month or so to research more.If I can sell my current 210 that'll help purchase the 240 tire..... then it'd be a matter of convincing the wifey for that extra $175. Well looks like this project has come to a screeching halt. lol.


I would just like to extend a big thanks to AlanH and Pep for your insight
. This is exactly why I love this place!!!!
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top