RS Warrior Forum banner
  • Warrior of the Quarter Challenge 23Q1! Enter your bike HERE
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am working on istalling my CI 240 kit I am a little woried about the clearance from the rim to the swingarm i have the adusters for the belt even on the left and the right but the left side seems very close to me the right side is ok the brake line seem to be a little close on the right so i fliped the clamp around but now i am worried about the left side here are some pic thanks for the info

THE RIGHT SIDE

THE LEFT SIDE

· Registered
1,078 Posts
Those look like my clearances too:

http://www.rswarrior.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=22533

What I have found is that depending an the tire I will rub a little or not rub at all. There is enough difference from one 240 to antoher 240 to make up to 5mm of difference. That being said, I am riding my bike pretty hard lately and while I occasionally get a bit of rub I have never had any tire damage or any actual problems from it.

I would NOT be worried in your case, it is most likely the tire itself that is causing the tight clearances and will not impact your performance or tire life in any appreciable way IMHO.

JT

· Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My worry is not about the tire but the rim hitting swing arm
quote:Originally posted by jaytee

Those look like my clearances too:

http://www.rswarrior.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=22533

What I have found is that depending an the tire I will rub a little or not rub at all. There is enough difference from one 240 to antoher 240 to make up to 5mm of difference. That being said, I am riding my bike pretty hard lately and while I occasionally get a bit of rub I have never had any tire damage or any actual problems from it.

I would NOT be worried in your case, it is most likely the tire itself that is causing the tight clearances and will not impact your performance or tire life in any appreciable way IMHO.

JT

· Registered
2,893 Posts
No problemo - I have a Daddy who has a machine shop. Oh yeah!!!

Ross - DIY = Do It Yourself

quote:Originally posted by 357WARRIOR

If you do more than just the 240 you will need more than just grind...[/emoticons/emotion-5.gif]

· Registered
3,935 Posts
I want to thank all old friends here for good comments and helping a fellow warrior.

I highly recommend considering the 31 tooth pulley for more clearance. The larger diameter wheel goes further up in the arm, where it is narrower. 31 tooth pulley allows more slack so the front ede of the tire will move back where its a bit wider. the 240 gives you 6% taller gearing. A 31 tooth pulley gets 3% back. But most people seem to like the taller gearing.

Jaytee is also right, there will be variance form tire to tire.

357 Warrior, chris, we have to get together soon while our faces are still recognizable. You must be what 60 now /emoticons/emotion-1.gif

· Premium Member
'04' Warrior - Super Fine Metallic Black
9,378 Posts
IMO, if the Swingarm is modified properly you shouldn't have to change to a 31T front pulley to resolve the tire or wheel clearances if running the Metzler 240 with a 18" x 8 1/2" wide wheel.

Based on my recent DIY 240 mods using the following components:
  • Metzler 240/40VR18
  • Kosman weld-up wheel 18 x 8 1/2 w/square edge flange
  • 33T Road* front pulley using 130T belt
Throughout the physical process of removing metal from the swingarm there was a concern on my part about clearances using the larger front 33T pulley that would displace the front wheel approx 1/4" closer to the swingarm pivot.

Minimal mat'l was removed from both sides of the swingarm to prevent penetrating the welded hollow gusseted castings yet providing at least a nickels worth of clearance when the wheel & tire are positioned anywhere's between full FWD & REV based on the single slotted hole in the caliper mounting bracket which acted as a story stick.

It's very critical that the rear wheel is square and properly aligned in the swing arm and that all component parts in the wheel and hub are assembled properly.
FYI, my mounted 240 Metzler when laid on a flat surface or using a straight edge, only the tire touches and not the rim!

I suspect that there is a difference in methodology amongst the vendors regarding the required modifications to a 240 swingarm and the subsequent clearances

I'm happy to report that i have in excess of 400 miles on my modified swingarm and there is no tire rubbing. Presidents Day Weekend ride with forum members was a excellent test in the canyon curves.

Enclosing some photos showing various clearances of near completed arm while mocked up during the mod process

Rear Brake Hose Clamp Clearance: Top & Side Views based on Existing Wheel Position using the 33T Road* Front Pulley & 130T Belt. Use of the Yamaha BRAIDED STAINLESS STEEL REAR BRAKE LINE would cut down the profile of the assembly. The Kosman modified wheel has near zero run-out so there is no fear in contacting the clamp unless of course you throw a wheel bearing :( :rolleyes:

View of Caliper Mounting Bracket in the Adjusted position using stated components

· Registered
767 Posts
Alan, great pix and explanation. I am planning a DIY 240 setup, and without seeing your results, I would have been very concerned with this small amount of clearance, but if you are not seeing any problems, it makes me feel a lot better. Based on your results, it doesn't look like warrior202 has anything to worry about.

· Premium Member
'04' Warrior - Super Fine Metallic Black
9,378 Posts
It was 357WARRIOR that gave me a heads-up to how little tire clearance there was on his and Riverat's 240 kits as well as the fact that there was no welding or reinforcement involved [
]
quote:Originally posted by rdarnitall

Alan, great pix and explanation. I am planning a DIY 240 setup, and without seeing your results, I would have been very concerned with this small amount of clearance, but if you are not seeing any problems, it makes me feel a lot better. Based on your results, it doesn't look like warrior202 has anything to worry about.

· Registered
2,893 Posts
Most just grind it.

quote:Originally posted by Joerider677

I'm new to the Warrior. I'm having a little trouble grasping exactly what you guys are doing with teh swingarm. getting the Barons? or modifications to the stock? Is it grinding and rewelding or what?

Thanks

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.