RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, Kosman has received my wheel and the 240 mod has begun. After much research on this site, talk and consideration (thanks Duke), I'm going with the 18"x8" wheel. I'm going to run the Dunlop 240 and do the swingarm mod myself. I can't see justifying the extra $$ and swingarm work at this time for the metz 240 with so little size difference from the Dunlop. I pondered going with the 260, but can't lose the handling and agility this bike has to offer. I am getting the wheel back unfinished and will see how it looks before I see about having it powdercoated. Don't get me wrong, I still reserve the right at anytime to go as big as they make.
Gotta love the Warrior platform!!

·
Premium Member
16,372 Posts
tapeworm said:
Well, Kosman has received my wheel and the 240 mod has begun. After much research on this site, talk and consideration (thanks Duke), I'm going with the 18"x8" wheel. I'm going to run the Dunlop 240 and do the swingarm mod myself. I can't see justifying the extra $$ and swingarm work at this time for the metz 240 with so little size difference from the Dunlop. I pondered going with the 260, but can't lose the handling and agility this bike has to offer. I am getting the wheel back unfinished and will see how it looks before I see about having it powdercoated. Don't get me wrong, I still reserve the right at anytime to go as big as they make.
Gotta love the Warrior platform!!

240 or 260...... it does not matter once you go phat. The handling will drastically changed, so why go smaller when you can go larger. As for the 8" rim and the Dunlop 240 that is a poor choice due to the fact it the smallest looking phat tire on the market. I understand what you are trying to do is save the cash and minimize the material that you will have to remove off of the swingarm thus allowinga smaller rim and the smaller dunlop 240to fit and minimize spacing/rubbing issue's is understandable, BUT you are giving up more then you realize. If you want to go phat do it right from the beginning. I would not go smaller then a 8-1/2" rim and I would not mount the Dunlop 240. You are tying your hands for future growth.

·
Premium Member
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Jimmy2 I will keep you posted on the progress. Darkstar, I fully understand what you are saying, but unfortunately I don't have the money to go 260 which would be sweet. I guess I'm taking baby steps. Crap, If I go 260 now, what will I do next winter!!!!! If someday Iwant to go 260 or 300 and had the money to do so, it will be out there calling my name.

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
There is nothing wrong with the 240. I love mine. The bike still handles and looks great.I drag my pipes and pegs still. I have the 240 and a freind has a 260 and you can hardly see any diference.The guys we ride with say it all the time, they dont see much diference.I do, price for mod and price for tire.I do have a moded swingarm with 8.5" wheel runing metz 240.

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
I am envious my friend for my wheel is still in the box waiting to be sent to Kosman.... the $ flow has seized lol. NEED PICS when you get it back and as you go so us skinny folks have something to dream about!!!!!! I think some gloss black powdercoatedwheels would look bad @ss against that (looks like gun metal grey) paint of yours

·
Premium Member
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Here are a couple pics of my Kosman wheel. They made it into a 18"x8". I am giong to try to get the tire installled tomorrow so I can begin the swingarm mod.I only have to do a very small work to remove the yellow around the weld. You can see it near the centerof the wheel near the black. The rest of the wheel they added looks awesome.Is it SPRING yet??????

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
When I got my wheel back from kosman I cleaned it up with a green scotch-brite pad with (very soapy) water. I had it over the kitchen sink and had running water rinsing the area I just worked on. It took the yellowing away and with a little work removed the remaining clearcoat from the origional wheel surface. Be careful not to remove any black paint. Go with the curve of the rim not circular motions it will leave swirls. Do this before you put the tire on its much easier. When it was all cleaned up and looked like clean bare aluminum I polished it with Blue Magic metal polish. It gave it a shine and provides some protection. You will have to reapply this a couple times a year. Good luck your half the way to a fat azz.

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
Looking good!!! I just seen on Extreme 4x4 yesterday, they're building a jeep with an aluminum body.... they wanted the body to look like it was chromed so they sprayed WD40 on it and used I think it was 400grit sand paper. Then used a Powerball (Mothers?) to polish it. Tell ya what it actually did look like it was chromed and not just polished aluminum.

Not sure if ya want chrome but just an option I guess. Keep them pics flowing

·
Registered
989 Posts
Wow you got that back quick. I emailed Kosman a few weeks back to see how long of a wait it was and I was told 6-8 weeks! You are almost there, now get that thing installed!

·
Premium Member
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well I got a bit too antzy and didn't read a couple of the last post before mounting my tire on the rim today. Oh well, I guess I will have to do the polishing with the tire on. I mounted it on the swingarm tonite and marked up where I need to grind. As many have already said, I won't need to take much at all off the swingarm with the Dunlop.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts