RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I was wondering if it's better to replace my stock pulley with a 31 tooth, because the big wheel kit I will have installed. The bit tire will definitely "slow" down the RPM so I thought a smaller pulley will compensate. What do you recommend, the Yamaha (STR4WM99-10-31, please confirm the part) or Barons? Yamaha is billet aluminium and Barons is steel. I always preferred Yamaha parts compared to Barons... If you know any technical issues related to fitting, please post them here.

Floren

·
Super Moderator
5,833 Posts
I would get the steel one Tech, because I have read on here where the aluminum after time will wear down and fail. As far as loosing some rpm because of the big tire,I didn't really notice much difference,and I run the stock 32 pulley. I am sure that you do loose some but to me not that noticeable. I think that when you put a 280 tire on it corrects your speedometer. I run with a friend that has a 04 warrior that has a BAK, big shots, pcIII,and stock tire,and I can run with him anytime. I say run the stock pulley and see how you like it first,and then go from there. How long before we can see it?

·
Registered
3,922 Posts
it is also my understanding that the steel pulley is the way to go. last year when i did my 250 tire i also converted to the 1 1/2"belt and 33 tooth pulley which feels pretty good on the highway and "ok" on the city streets, the place where it suffers the most is when i'm riding 2 up
i might go with the 31 for this reason, imo your bike should perform a little more like it did with your stock tire with the 31 if your running a 250 or bigger tire

·
Registered
719 Posts
I have a 250 tire and a steel 31 tooth pulley. I would say that I am slightly taller geared than stock. My speedo reads really accurate. My odo reads 4% under. That should give you an idea of where you want to go. Some want to be taller geared than stock.

·
Premium Member
1,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Reddog said:
I would get the steel one Tech, because
I have read on here where the aluminum after time will wear down and
fail. As far as loosing some rpm because of the big tire,I didn't
really notice much difference,and I run the stock 32 pulley. I am sure
that you do loose some but to me not that noticeable. I think that when
you put a 280 tire on it corrects your speedometer. I run with a friend
that has a 04 warrior that has a BAK, big shots, pcIII,and stock
tire,and I can run with him anytime. I say run the stock pulley and see
how you like it first,and then go from there. How long before we can
see it?
Thanks for the steel info, Guy. I will give it a try first on the stock pulley and check the speed with the GPS. If it is not accurate, I will switch to a 31 tooth... I should have the 280 done by the the GS Cycle guys in 2-3 months. They have the wheel to fix, swingarm to chrome and rear fender to scallop it as I requested... I would say that in Spring time, I should have it set. Once the rear fender is done, it will go together with the other tins straight to Dennis... for a blue fire paint.

Ross said:
I have a 250 tire and a steel 31 tooth pulley. I would say that I am slightly taller geared than stock. My speedo reads really accurate. My odo reads 4% under. That should give you an idea of where you want to go. Some want to be taller geared than stock.
Great info, thanks Ross. When you say 4% under, that means you run at 2880 RPM when in fact is should be showing 3000 RPM? I hope that is the case because it would be great news... but it should be the opposite, IMO. Let me know please.

Any of the big 280 guns with a 31 tooth pulley? Let me know how are the speed and odo measurements on your bike. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Reddog said:
I would get the steel one Tech, because I have read on here where the aluminum after time will wear down and fail. As far as loosing some rpm because of the big tire,I didn't really notice much difference,and I run the stock 32 pulley. I am sure that you do loose some but to me not that noticeable. I think that when you put a 280 tire on it corrects your speedometer. I run with a friend that has a 04 warrior that has a BAK, big shots, pcIII,and stock tire,and I can run with him anytime. I say run the stock pulley and see how you like it first,and then go from there. How long before we can see it?
+1 for the steel pulley. And, we want pics!!!

·
Registered
8,318 Posts
30 tooth with a big tire is great stop light to stop light but it will bea PITA on the highway unless you have the roadstar.75 5th gear.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Churchkey said:
30 tooth with a big tire is great stop light to stop light but it will bea PITA on the highway unless you have the roadstar.75 5th gear.
I had the 30T + 280mm out back. From a dead dig it was AWESOME. Highway riding required going just a tad slower. You'll need a different belt too...

·
Premium Member
8,921 Posts
Ross said:
As far as i know thespeedo & odo remain unchanged as the changes in ratio are down stream or afterthe speed sensor.

[*]EDITED: Doing the Road* 5th gear could be a factor if i'm not mistaken [/list]

A GPS is the only method to qualify the change from stock and actual speed. Admittingly, the enginerpm will be different for taller & shorter gearing at a given qualified speed using a GPS

·
Registered
429 Posts
GPS showed my speedo reads High,70 on the speedo with 65 GPS, stock tire and gears.So changing to a taller tire would give U more roll out,one revolution of the tire would cover more distance, and bring in the speedo reading closer to GPS. A taller tire effectively changes the final drive, we call it higher gear but it is lower numerically. I am still on the fence as to changing down to a 31 for more Hole Shot then back to 33 for a trip. So for now I will just keep the stock 32.

·
Premium Member
8,921 Posts
warriordude said:
GPS showed my speedo reads High,70 on the speedo with 65 GPS, stock tire and gears.So changing to a taller tire would give U more roll out,one revolution of the tire would cover more distance, and bring in the speedo reading closer to GPS. A taller tire effectively changes the final drive, we call it higher gear but it is lower numerically. I am still on the fence as to changing down to a 31 for more Hole Shot then back to 33 for a trip. So for now I will just keep the stock 32.
.... Here's something i updated recently: Interesting Read: 102's big brother

CLICK on IMAGE

·
Premium Member
1,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
AlanH said:
As far as i know thespeedo & odo remain unchanged as the changes in ratio are down stream or afterthe speed sensor.

[*]EDITED: Doing the Road* 5th gear could be a factor if i'm not mistaken [/list]

A GPS is the only method to qualify the change from stock and actual speed. Admittingly, the enginerpm will be different for taller & shorter gearing at a given qualified speed using a GPS
Aha, I was under the impression that the 31 tooth pulley will help not only with more speed on low gears but also it was recommended for big tire kits to counter balance the bigger diameter effect on speedo. Am I wrong about the second part? I saw one vendor offering a 280 big kit with a 31 tooth pulley...

How does the speed sensor readings are done? With a cable? I don't even know where is located, I will check the manual...
Unless Alan pulls some printouts on that also.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts