RS Warrior Forum banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
8,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
For those of you that wonder why your trans will not stay in 2nd gear.

Customers bike with 45K on the clock.

The way it works: For clarification I'll call the clutch driven shaft the pinion shaft. The other shaft = output shaft.

Second wheel gear is always in mesh with the 2nd pinion gear it spins freely on a smooth shoulder of the output shaft.

The output shaft has an external spline the 5th wheel gear has an internal spline it slides on the output shaft. The dogs of the 5th wheel gear lock into the 2nd wheel gear & drive the output shaft for 2nd gear.

DSCN0223t.jpg (170.9 KB)
DSCN0229T.jpg (163.2 KB)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Hopefully I dont have that issue until 100k
lol

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
For those of you that wonder why your trans will not stay in 2nd gear.

Customers bike with 45K on the clock.

The way it works: For clarification I'll call the clutch driven shaft the pinion shaft. The other shaft = output shaft.

Second wheel gear is always in mesh with the 2nd pinion gear it spins freely on a smooth shoulder of the output shaft.

The output shaft has an external spline the 5th wheel gear has an internal spline it slides on the output shaft. The dogs of the 5th wheel gear lock into the 2nd wheel gear & drive the output shaft for 2nd gear.

DSCN0223t.jpg (170.9 KB)
DSCN0229T.jpg (163.2 KB)
Church,

There are many warriors with many more miles on the clock, so do you know or can shed light on (from your point of view):

• Is this year/model related
  • Is this driving style related
  • Does this depend oil used
Trying to clarify issues without trying to scare the living daylight out of people. My bike has done 175K (Km) and (luckily?) still not have seen any problems like this.

Great pics, as this says a 1000 words.

Dutch :cool:

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Nice contribution ... the photos say it All!
Alan,

Can you contribute to this with your experience?
the why, how and model related question?
Your bike has done more the 45K, have you experienced the same problem?

Dutch :cool:

·
Registered
8,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)

·
Administrator
5,909 Posts
Trans is basically the same all model years.

Not a mechanical failure or design issue.

Simple case of rider abuse.

BTW the clutch has also been abused a new clutch pack will be installed.

Pix of motor/trans disassembly from my build in '04.
http://www.rswarrior.com/forums/9-total-recall/87185-pix-engine-recall-gears.html

Trans gear set left to right: 1st, 4th, 3rd, 2nd, 5th.
Do you think that as long as you use the whole transmission gear set up, that you could put an 06 and newer transmission into an 05 and older?

·
Registered
8,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Do you think that as long as you use the whole transmission gear set up, that you could put an 06 and newer transmission into an 05 and older?
IDK. If the cases are the same it would probably work.

What is the benefit a newer year model trans offers?

·
Administrator
5,909 Posts
IDK. If the cases are the same it would probably work.

What is the benefit a newer year model trans offers?
They have 4 gear dogs instead of 3. And they have the newer longer threads on the output shaft and the new lock nut. Other than that i have no idea.:)

·
Registered
8,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Don't see the need for the mod, all year bikes have a 4 dog first gear.

Extra threads & different lock nut are used on the transfer case output shaft @ the drive pulley, Trans output shaft change = unknown.

·
Administrator
5,909 Posts
I have an 06 motor and the trans output shaft has the new longer threads with the new locknut, same as the transfer middle drive shaft.

·
Premium Member
8,963 Posts
^^^
That's correct (not that you needed my confirmation) and if I'm not mistaken all gears have 4-dogs but not absolutely sure :eek:

• ADDED: Nope ... I was wrong ... 3rd gear has 3-Dogs
...the output shaft is more robust as you stated!

There could be an issue with the engine case and i've uploaded some years ago a pdf file taken from the later year bike that shows the differences.

I'll return to include the url for that thread as time permits :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
My bike doesn't pop outta second, but I do have to hold the shifter up wile I let the clutch out to go into second other wise it puts me into neutral. Adjustment or worn out parts?

·
Premium Member
336 Posts
hey just so you all are tracking, the engine cases are all the same on the different years. there may have been some incidental design changes over the years but nothing that affected parts interchangeability... the oil/transfer case is a different story.
Yamaha redesigned the transmission for some unknown reason but that's the extent. I tore my 06 down because of 2nd gear issues as well and "tossed" in a spare earlier model transmission in there just to see if there were any difference, none. the spool, forks, guide rods, and everything else is practically the same. If any of you open up the engine case for any reason, i highly recommend getting your dogs cut since Yamaha want very aggressive with their machine work from the factory.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Hey Dutchy, my bike is doing this 2nd gear jump thing. 205,000 Kms. I reckon it's exactly what Church was describing and I reckon that pretending I was drag racing every time I took off from the lights has finally taken it's toll :(

Question for the techs, so what's the best way to fix this? just replace the worn parts or get a whole new transmission. Bear in mind I will be paying someone to do this and I'm also just about to pay someone to rebuild the engine with Patrick Racing parts. Cheapest to do them both together I guess. Does the engine have to be taken out to do the transmission work?

·
Administrator
5,909 Posts
Hey Dutchy, my bike is doing this 2nd gear jump thing. 205,000 Kms. I reckon it's exactly what Church was describing and I reckon that pretending I was drag racing every time I took off from the lights has finally taken it's toll :(

Question for the techs, so what's the best way to fix this? just replace the worn parts or get a whole new transmission. Bear in mind I will be paying someone to do this and I'm also just about to pay someone to rebuild the engine with Patrick Racing parts. Cheapest to do them both together I guess. Does the engine have to be taken out to do the transmission work?
Yes, the motor has to come out because the cases have to be split to gain access to the transmission.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
By abusing the trans, do you mean shifting without clutching?
Would a quick shifter reduce the impact of this type of shifting?

1 - 20 of 63 Posts