RS Warrior Forum banner
21 - 40 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
741 Posts
Another question. I have the opportunity to get a transmission out of a wreck. Is it possible to remove the transmission without splitting the cases?

·
Registered
8,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Another question. I have the opportunity to get a transmission out of a wreck. Is it possible to remove the transmission without splitting the cases?
No the transmission gears are in the crankcase.

The transfer case can be removed from the engine.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Another question (what would I do without this forum?). I’ve decided I’m going to get the transmission repaired and want to pre-purchase the parts that I reckon I’ll need to reduce downtime (and keep my fingers crossed I won’t need extras).

I’ll definitely need:- 5th wheel gear and 2nd pinion gear and reckon I’ll get the relevant fork shift.
Does anyone know which fork shift this is?

Are there any other parts I should get, seals, bearings etc?

Also when I looked up the parts list for my 05, I see that the 2nd pinion gear is no longer available but the part is listed (different #) for an 06. I expect the 06 part would go straight in. Can anyone verify this?
Oops, that’s 3 questions, not 1 :)

Thanks guys

·
Administrator
5,911 Posts
The 06 has 4 gear dogs on some of the gears that the 05 only has 3 so you might check into it more before you purchase the parts.

·
Registered
633 Posts
I'm on the fence here with my high mileage '02. I have 138k miles on the clock and I had a soft whirring noise coming from the drive area on my bike, which I heard coming to a stop, in 1st & 2nd gears only. Now, over the past year, it has progressed into more of a howl, a groaning, bad bearing noise! And I hear it all the time now... I currently have it on my lift. I parked it until I can decide on how to proceed. I'm 74 and getting a little worried that I won't be able to do a repair by myself. I don't know what is bad, yet, just worried that I'll ruin a serviceable engine/transmission if I continue to ride. I did ride daily, now I have to cage it until I resolve the issue. Biggest problem I am finding is trying to find a mechanic. Seems it is a trade going by the wayside. I've been to a couple of Yammie dealers and they aren't any better. No techs, is what I keep hearing. I live in Santa Cruz, and 90% of the shops we had are gone. The couple remaining basically only do service, or wrench on singles! I'm gonna pull the rear wheel off and get under it with my stethoscope, and see if I can at least localize it to a zone. No red dust, belt is fine and new, tensioned correctly, using the tool. Recently replaced all my wheel bearings before my last cross-country trip. Engine is still 100%. I have not, nor do I race either. Yeah, when I first got it for the first few years it was WOT, but never banged gears, never popped the clutch, rode pretty smoothly, still do. Sorry I usually don't toot my own horn, but that needs to be said, here... We are collectively "spirited". IMHO

·
Administrator
5,911 Posts
Make sure it is not a wheel bearing or just tires being cupped bad enough to make that noise.My Harley is doing the same thing and the wheel bearings are good but my rear tire is cupped. It could also be a bad bearing in your transfer case. All these are an easy fix. If it is the transmission, then you will have to split the cases. I wish you were closer Jim, i would give you a hand.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Tires are nearly new, Avons. Unfortunately having ridden it for the past 12 years, daily, I know how worn tires sound, not them. It's a bearing noise. I listened to it worsening, for a year, hoping it wouldn't go further, but alas... I'm hoping that after I get my rear wheel off and give it another listen, I'll know more, and then make a decision. I'd pull my motor and or tranny out of my Norton in a minute, but this sucker is bigger than me, now @ 74. I'm still pretty darn capable, but I have 74 years on my "clock" and I really don't want nor do I need a big project! This is bigger than I want to tackle.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Hey, thanks Robert. I'm gonna give 'em a shout. This is the longest I have not ridden, from my own volition, in the 12 years I've owned my Warrior. I've been 'grounded' twice, due to two shoulder surgeries. This one 'hurts' the most 'cause it isn't medical, just mechanical...

·
Registered
633 Posts
My uneducated guess is that it is in the xfer case assembly. I drained the oil the other day and there is a lot of metal flake in there. I'm going to pull the cover and give it a look. By the end of the day, I may be selling my '02, just for what it's worth, as a perfect ride in every respect except for that noise. I am still planning on riding it over to Campbell and let Chris @ AE Kustomz give it a listen. Spoke with him today. He told me that it's a big job, requiring some special tools, which he doesn't have, adding to the the expense of a repair. May be shopping for a newer ride... I do have two Snortys, (Nortons). Both need attention, one more than the other. 750 is somewhat dissembled. Some tranny parts found their way into my 850... 850 is in need of fluid changes, and new coils, and tires now too. He's been on the center stand since I got my Warrior, 12 years... My Warrior totally spoiled me...

·
Administrator
5,911 Posts
I changed out my transfer case from an 05 to 07 parts and it was not a big job and i did not need any special tools. There is only a few parts in there to have to deal with. It is nothing more than a jack shaft. I wish i lived closer to you, i would gladly help you fix the warrior.

·
Registered
633 Posts
That is a very magnanimous offer. I love this 4m. Robert (umpire3) has a xfer case missing the middle gear. I haven't researched what the middle gear is yet, but I think I'll take him up on his offer. And, thanks for the info regarding special tools. -Jim

The microfiche lists, what looks like the entire final drive assembly, as the MIDDLE DRIVE GEAR. http://www.bikebandit.com/oem-parts/2003-yamaha-road-star-warrior-ca-xv1700pcrc/o/m145635#sch254056
This has me thoroughly confused. Can you shed some light on that?

·
Administrator
5,911 Posts
I have a middle drive shaft out of my 05 that i will not use again, part #8 in the parts fich. It is in good shape. It has the same part # that the 03 has. Your more than welcome to it if you need it. If you can pay shipping it's yours. You might want to change out your bearings unless they have low miles and are in good shape. The right side bearing comes out easy. The left side has to be pressed or knocked out. I used a long ratchet extension with a socket on it to push it out. I used a seal driver to put the new bearing in.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Gilly, I don't know the condition of my Xfer case yet. Would you think that I may need it regardless, since I do have 138k miles on the clock? I can certainly pay for shipping, and will. Why don't we just assume I'll need it and let's get the ball rolling. Let me know what to do & I'll get my part going. -Jim

·
Administrator
5,911 Posts
My bike had 64,000 when i removed the middle drive shaft. It was doing fine with no problems. I just had the bike tore down so i more or less just rebuilt the transfer case with 07 parts. If you have a manual, you can remove all the stuff and inspect it. If you need the Middle drive shaft that i have you can have it. It may be just the left side bearing that's bad and your MDS is OK. There's no time limit on my end, do whatever you have to to find out what's wrong and if you need my MDS just send me your address and we can go from there. If i can help somehow let me know. It really is simple to work on if you have a manual, or look at the parts fich to go by.

On re-assembly, that center nut that tightens the center plate under the outer cover, there is a gasket on that bolt that has to be there, it looks like a washer. Make sure you replace it or you will have a leak.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Thanks, Gilly. I will try to keep you informed. Looks like you are referring to item 21? I guess I'll start to tear it down this weekend. I won't be able to do a lot, I'll be having company. Some of the things I've done to my bike have been a lot easier than they looked. Like belt replacement, couple of hours. Looks like huge job, but was actually quite easy...

·
Administrator
5,911 Posts
Thanks, Gilly. I will try to keep you informed. Looks like you are referring to item 21? I guess I'll start to tear it down this weekend. I won't be able to do a lot, I'll be having company. Some of the things I've done to my bike have been a lot easier than they looked. Like belt replacement, couple of hours. Looks like huge job, but was actually quite easy...
If i'm looking at the diagram right the gasket is #11.

21 - 40 of 63 Posts