RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did the AIS block off today. Went to the auto body shop on base to make my own block off plates and the guy working there wanted to help a little too much so after I marked to aluminum pieces to drill the hole he got involved and wanted to operate the drill press. Maybe it was a safety thing and he had to operate it. Long story short holes were off and the plates were not cut the way I wanted them to be cut. I was not confident in the work so on the way home I stopped and bought (2) 3/8" vacum caps incase the plates didn't work. I didn't really like the way it looked so I just capped off the elbows and reinstalled them. I spent 1.99 on the elbow caps and 1.99 for the small vacum cap (package of 6). I am still looking for something to block off the 1/2 hose coming from the air box. Anyone have any ideas? What happens if I dont block that hose off at all? I am trying to avoid going back to the auto parts store and I am also trying to avoid using a 1/2" bolt. So there it is the $4.00 ghetto AIS block off. Oh yea it cut out almost all of the popping and backfiring.

·
Administrator
29,662 Posts
That's cool. If you later get a chance to pickup a set of plates they look much better than the plugged hoses. As for the airbox line, why nut shove a bolt in it for now, and pick up a rubber nipple next time you're at the part store. Follow that hose to the airbox and see how it connects,I think there's justa plastic hose stuboff the airbox isn't there?

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Arizona Warrior said:
That's cool. If you later get a chance to pickup a set of plates they look much better than the plugged hoses. As for the airbox line, why nut shove a bolt in it for now, and pick up a rubber nipple next time you're at the part store. Follow that hose to the airbox and see how it connects,I think there's justa plastic hose stuboff the airbox isn't there?

I plan on giving it another try or just getting them with the VBAK when I get it. As far as the plugged hoses, you can't even see them unless you are down with a flash light looking behind the left side cover. You are right it is just a small hose stubb off of the air box. After I got it all back together I started the bike and put my finger over the hose and there was no sucking or blowing. Yes I put my finger in it and it did not suck or blow so it was determined useless. I went for a ride with it left unplugged and there didn't seem to be any adverse effects. I will put something in it today just to be on the same side.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Determined not to be defeated by those pesky AIS block off plates. I broke out the dremel and went to work. I was able to grind them down and make them fit. While I was waiting on the paint to dry on the block off plates I decided I didn't need to belt guards any more so off they came. Now I am going to go for a ride to make sure all is well and find a 1/2" plug for the air box hose.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I just picked up some 3/16 aluminum and used the gaskets at templates and cut my own block offs. That piece also became used for a voltage reg bracket and for relocating the rear brake switch. Costs me like $5 or something. 4k miles on that mod and does not leak. Just shaped it with a bench grinder and filed the ends smooth.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts