31,483 Posts
From owners manual (Documentation forum):
1st to 2nd a 13mph
2nd to 3rd at 19mph
3rd to 4th at 25mph
4th to 5th at 31mph.
For wussies.

One down 4 up. 5 speeds.

And 4th and 5th are overdrive ratios. Mmm.
1st 2.735
2nd 1.579
3rd 1.160
4th 0.935
5th 0.800

Still, the power is so addicting we search for 6th gear. That's where Ivan's enters the picture.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Lol ya but on my 03 warrior it's one down and 3 up which equals 4 and would still equal 4 if it was all up or all down your missing the point here. Was just trying to figure out what someone has done and why I dont have 5th gear. It runs great shifts fine. It has the power commander 3 on it but that dont have nothing to do with that right?

·
Premium Member
5,241 Posts
Ok well didn't know if you were new to motorcycles as I have had some interesting questions before.
It should have 5 gears and to loose 5th gear is not a common problem on this platform.

·
[Retired Admin-SuperMod]
31,483 Posts
Do you have 1st gear (down 1 from neutral)?

Either way:
Get the e-copy of the service manual and study clutch fiber replacement and cable replacement. Then read around here for tips and tricks.

Then disassemble the entire clutch and basket and take pictures at each step. Notice the Disc wire and other bits that can be removed in favor of all full Disc linings (no half linings).

Re-check your motor oil for metal. If none then read-up on the transmission gears and dogs. Learn how the (push) aka (pull) lever works. Learn about the motor-end cable connection angle. Also learn how to set-up the handlebar clutch lever.

If you don't find or stumble-across the solution then your transmission needs to be disassembled, which means splitting the cases.

From what you have posted, it seems unlikely that a prior owner was clutchless 'speed-shifting' and wore (for example) the second gear tooth height, because you would notice having to shift again. So your 5th gear might be missing. But it doesn't make sense either.

The devil will in this case be in your details.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Let's see some pics of this beast, maybe its highly modified.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Failing that i'd check clutch adjustment first,
Then check the rod adjustment between the gear shift lever and the gear shift shaft coming out of the engine.
It could be as simple as a bend in the rod or something limiting the travel in the assembly.
Also with the engine off see if you can select all five (5) gears by rocking the bike back and forth and see if you can actually select the gear, the higher the gear the further the bike will move back and forth before wanting to rotate the engine.
The tighter it is the lower the gear the higher it is it'll seem sloppier.

·
[Retired Admin-SuperMod]
31,483 Posts
I had hoped to hear something back regarding clutch disassembly by now. I should have mentioned where to find the free e-copy of the service manual when I posted earlier. But there's lots of links so probably already has it. My worry is it's possibly a dog issue but can't guess which gear is 'missing' so it's hard to decipher by web. And no pics etc yet. I'm still interested in this one. Hope we get some response.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts