RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im going to be getting new tires for my bike this spring and want a 210 but hear that they wear out a little to fast. I was thinking about picking up a rear wheel 6.5" wide but was wondering what other specs I need to look for such as diameter and what do I need to make sure it fits my warrior. Not to familiar with bike wheels. Looking to get just a rear wheel to save some $$. Thanks

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Some people say it's not just the tight fit of the Metz that causes the 210 to wear so soon but also the softer material. I'm not sure you'll really come out that far ahead with one on the wider wheel but I hope you'll let us know. I like the characteristics of the tire even if it doesn't last as long but then again I don't put as many miles on mine.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Im not really looking for info on the 210 tire. Im looking for info on rims. I just need to know the specs for the rear wheel. I dont want anything to change except for the width of rim. Basically what do I need to look for in a wheel measurement wise to make sure it will fit on my warrior

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
If you click on the link I posted it's actually about widening the wheel to fit the 210, and how it's notthe best idea only having a 6.5" wide wheel.If you're just going to buy a new wheel, you might as well get a 240 andnot bother with a 210. The factory wheel is 17" in diameter, and 6" wide. If you want a fat @ss, you'll have buy an18"x 8.5"wheel and get a new swing arm. Or Do a search for the DIY 240. For that you have your factory wheel widened and the dia. increased to 18" and a dunlop 240 tire, then must sand some material off the factory swing arm for clearance.

·
Premium Member
2,916 Posts
If you're going 210 you might be better off with a 7-1/2" x 18" wheel and yours can be modified by Kosman Specialties. That way you can get a Metzeler ME880 210/40R18 which is the same setup as the Raider has. Also there is no modification needed for the swingarm.

If you're going 240 you have two options.

Dunlop Elite III 240/40R18 with 8" x 18" wheel (Kosman). You will need to remove a little bit of stock from the inside of the swingarm for clearance.

Metzeler ME880 240/40R18 with 8-1/2" x 18" wheel (Kosman). You will need to remove a bit more stock from the swingarm for clearance. The Metz is about 3/16" wider than the Dunlop.

Anything beyond that and you'd be best to get everything done by one of the vendors that do fat tire kits. Mine is from Crown, but there is also G&S, Performance Edge, Cycle Image and BMS Choppers.

·
Premium Member
8,918 Posts
mikystyle said:
Im not really looking for info on the 210 tire. Im looking for info on rims. I just need to know the specs for the rear wheel. I dont want anything to change except for the width of rim. Basically what do I need to look for in a wheel measurement wise to make sure it will fit on my warrior
Wheels are proprietary for the Warrior model as they are for other motorcycles. The OEM nominal specs of the cast wheels are listed in the owners manual. If you don't have one it's available here: http://rswarrior.com/files/folders/owners_manuals/default.aspx

You'll need to check the various aftermarket manufacturers of wheelsto see if they have specific components to adapt their wheels to the Warrior. In most cases the aftermarket rear wheel will not use the OEM cushioned hub.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
AlanH said:
Wheels are proprietary for the Warrior model as they are for other motorcycles. The OEM nominal specs of the cast wheels are listed in the owners manual. If you don't have one it's available here: http://rswarrior.com/files/folders/owners_manuals/default.aspx

You'll need to check the various aftermarket manufacturers of wheelsto see if they have specific components to adapt their wheels to the Warrior. In most cases the aftermarket rear wheel will not use the OEM cushioned hub.

Makes sense. I might start looking into what wyomingwarrior said about the DIY as that might be the easiest way as I can see from some research that new wheels are pretty pricey anyways. Atleast I have the whole winter to decide what I want to do. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
Like Pep said, there are 2 DIY 240's:

Pep said:
If you're going 240 you have two options.

Dunlop Elite III 240/40R18 with 8" x 18" wheel (Kosman). You will need to remove a little bit of stock from the inside of the swingarm for clearance.

Metzeler ME880 240/40R18 with 8-1/2" x 18" wheel (Kosman). You will need to remove a bit more stock from the swingarm for clearance. The Metz is about 3/16" wider than the Dunlop.

I'd suggest the 8" wheel because minimal material is removed from the swing arm. Jimmy2created a Greatthread on "how to" with pics and the total cost for the 8" mod:http://rswarrior.com/forums/p/26948/286840.aspx#286840

The 8-1/2" will look better but you will actually need to remove a bit more material from the swing arm and have gussets welded onto the swing arm to keep the integrity. If you know someone who can weld aluminum I'd say go for it.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
I'd suggest leaving it alone! 210 vs 200 ? Who cares! If you're changing rims, you're going to pay alot to gain very little.

·
Registered
3,922 Posts
MrWilson said:
I'd suggest leaving it alone! 210 vs 200 ? Who cares! If you're changing rims, you're going to pay alot to gain very little.
+1, if your going to spend money why not spend it on a mod thats going to make a statement? i've had them all and theres just not enough difference between the 200 and 210 to justify the expense your going to encounter widening the rim to make the 210 fit better, it will still wear fast due to its soft compound. i know everyone is looking to save money in these hard times but some times you just have to bite the bullet and do what it takes to go fat. if you dont do it now you'll probably be kicking yourself in 6 months when you get bored with the 210 and want to go even fatter. thats my 2 pennies worth

·
Super Moderator
5,819 Posts
I would save my money up and get what I really wanted. The 210/ 17 is really crap compared with just about any other tire. If you want a fat ass, the 210 to me is not the answer. 240 is the next best thing to the stock. Still have your performance, and the fat look. These guys on this site are giving you the best imformation you could get. I would listen to them!

·
Registered
963 Posts
I used to run the 210 and loved how it held the road. If you are serious about getting a wider wheel you should just get a kit from one ofthe vendors. You will not regret it. I was chewing through a 210 every 3 to 4 months (about 3k Miles). Now I have over 6k on my 280 and still plenty of tread left, soI have savedabout $250 in tires already. I spend less money on tires and my 280 makes a huge statement!!!I feel for most riders out there the loss in handlingis a non issue. I can still out turn most of my buddies andam never left behind! Just my 2 cents....

Let us know what you decide.

Aaron

·
Super Moderator
5,819 Posts
The warrior is such a wide looking bike,the 200 to me even looks small. The best looking tires for the warrior to me is the 260 or my favorite the 280. The handling does suffer a bit,but like you said Judge, no warrior is going to walk away from me, unless it's Frankenstein's turbo.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You guys convinced me. Im gonna save my money and start looking at $240 kits. I like the idea of the diy but its kinda ghetto rigged in my mind so im going to stay away from that route. Gotta start saving those pennies.

·
Registered
3,922 Posts
mikystyle said:
You guys convinced me. Im gonna save my money and start looking at $240 kits. I like the idea of the diy but its kinda ghetto rigged in my mind so im going to stay away from that route. Gotta start saving those pennies.
good going
you'll be much happier when it's all said and done

·
Super Moderator
5,819 Posts
If you can save up enough money to get a 260, or 280 swingarm, you can run just about any tire you want up to the size of swingarm. I think with a 8 1/2 rim,you can run up to a 260 tire. So with a 260 swingarm you can run from 240 up to a 260. It gives you a good selection of tires to run. That way you can go from fat tire to a fatter tire.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts