RS Warrior Forum banner

600 mile scheduled maintenance

1K views 18 replies 18 participants last post by  kichigai 
#1 ·
Before asking my question, i'd like to give you a little backround.
1. I have never maintained a motorcyle before. First owned motorcycle.
2. I am mechanically inclined, since I have worked on my cars in the past.

Question: I have apporximatley 600 miles on my bike, is it worth going to the dealer to basically get an oil change and perhaps some fine tuning according to what the manual says or can I just do this myself? And if I do the work myself can I screw something up?

#3 ·
My answer is that no, it is not worth it. Spend 1/2 hour checking every bolt/nut you can to be sure they are snug, adjust your belt to be a little looser than you think it should be, check your tire pressure, change your oil/filter, then go for a ride. Wear a helmet and good riding gear. Hug your kids if you have kids. Plan for your retirement. Call your mom. Live long and prosper. Relax and have a beer.

#5 ·
Welcome!! I am sort of mechanically inclined (simple stuff but need help with the bigger stuff) I would say to look at the manual and do it yourself. will save yourself a ton of money...on this scheduled maint and future maint

#6 ·
I bought my bike new, and never took it in for service. I did it all myself (except the tranny recall where they installed the stage IV kit at the same time). You can find all the info here on the site. It is an air cooled bike, that just needs common knowledge and skills. Save your money and take pride in taking care of your ride.

#10 ·
I agree. I think this is required to keep warranty good but I'm not sure. Stealer told me this[?]

quote:Originally posted by mark1

Some say and I agree that for the first 600, take it in, so that if anything goes wrong after that they'll have less of an excuse not to cover it.

#11 ·
[/emoticons/emotion-2.gif][/emoticons/emotion-2.gif]Now that was funny right thur! Also true.[/emoticons/emotion-5.gif]quote:Originally posted by Shag

My answer is that no, it is not worth it. Spend 1/2 hour checking every bolt/nut you can to be sure they are snug, adjust your belt to be a little looser than you think it should be, check your tire pressure, change your oil/filter, then go for a ride. Wear a helmet and good riding gear. Hug your kids if you have kids. Plan for your retirement. Call your mom. Live long and prosper. Relax and have a beer.

#12 ·

Some say and I agree that for the first 600, take it in, so that if anything goes wrong after that they'll have less of an excuse not to cover it.

That's how I've always looked at it, personally.
I can handle doing oil changes and such after that, but for the first check I want the dealer's hands on it.

#14 ·
Do it yourself so in the future you'll know if your mechanic is missing things when you are rich and famous and take it to the shop. Hey, you're smart enought to get rich, you bought a Warrior! (okay I'll shut up now) Welcome brother.

#16 ·
I normally do things myself - BUT - if it's a new bike - yeah, I'd take it in for liability reasons. After that, no more dealer - do it all yourself.

Oh, I'm in the same category: mechanically inclined with no previous cycle experience. I've been able to make a couple mods all by myself! [/emoticons/emotion-5.gif]

#19 ·

Same for me! I have to agree with Mark. At least for the first check up, take it in.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.