RS Warrior Forum banner
61 - 80 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
13,111 Posts
Just so you know, switching to a Harley pulley isn't for looks. It changes the gear ratio somewhat. So you will run lower RPMS -for example, at 75 MPH instead of running 2800 RPMs you might run 2500. Which is nice, except you also lose some low end torque and speed off the line. It's a tradeoff. I'm about to switch my front pulley from a 32 tooth to a 33 tooth. This switch allows me to keep the stock belt, and I achieve the same effect. So if you're shooting for lower RPMS, then switching the front pulley is definitely cheaper. All you need is the pulley, not the belt. Switching the back pulley will allow you to bling it up, but you also have to buy a belt, so...

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
i have been looking for a 33 tooth pulley to use in my trip kit but i think i will go this way instead. looks like a sound decision.

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
That does seem to cause some confusion. A pulley will measure 1 1/4" while the belt will measure 1 1/8". Same-o-Same-o.

·
Registered
13,111 Posts
If you're going for bling then the rear pulley mod is the way to go - but then you will have to buy a belt. I love my 33 tooth front pulley. I can't tell any difference off the line, but it's about 200-250 rpm lower at 75 mph, which is a decent amount, and my speedo is reading more accurately now. Plus I get to use the same belt.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I want more than 200rpm less if I can get it. The warrior is such a low end monster I don't see the need for the short 1st and 2nd gear that come stock.

·
Registered
13,111 Posts
You'd probably have to do both mods then -I'm not sure the rear pulley mod gives you more than 250ish either. There's a member in Australia who's done both. I don't remember who though -sorry- but you could probably search and find him. I imagine you could use the same belt you'd need for the rear pulley mod.

Actually -rereading this thread I see bladerunr did it.

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 · (Edited)
Yup I did! and I'll not go back.

AlanH did the math.... the 65 rear makes a BIG difference.
Link -> http://www.rswarrior.com/forums/14-.../113506-65-tooth-rear-pulley.html#post1508513

and

You'll need a new belt at some point anyway.

If there is ANY downside, at idle, 800rpm, clutch out, the slowest I can roll is eleven mph-gps. But since the nearest traffic light is thirty miles from here... I don't sweat it too much.

·
Registered
13,111 Posts
You know, I never really thought about doing this, since I have a 33 tooth front. But... it's also 1 1/2 inches wide right? Never bothered to measure it, but I have a good sized gap on both sides. So basically I'm halfway home, and as noted, Harley pulley's are out there. And as you note, I'll need a new belt someday anyway. So... I may go for it. I actually have a second hub anyway, so I could definitely play with this.

I would have to change belts to a 128 right? What's the stock belt, 130? - I ask that because I have a 33 front, which probably wouldn't make up enough to keep stock. Oh, and we're talking about switching to a wider belt anyway.

One question -I noticed you said you had to shave a little on your swing arm. How much is a little? Enough I need to get a welder involved?

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #74 ·
128 Yes. You can go inch an a quarter or inch an a half with that front sprocket, up to you. The little grinding you'll do for the inch an a half sprocket is near the lower belt guard mount. I didn't re-weld, shouldn't be a problem.

Have fun with it...

·
Registered
752 Posts
so i've read this thread three times now and i want to do the 65t rear 33t front. Where can i fond the 33t? I already found the 65 rear. And is it still possible to get the roadstar 5th gear?

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #76 · (Edited)

·
Registered
752 Posts
Sweet. Im gonna start looking today! And I should probably start putting together my mightaswell list too!:D

·
Registered
752 Posts
Where can I get a roadie 5th gear? I have an 05. Is that too late?

·
Registered
752 Posts
Blade thanks for all the help. It looks like the 05 may squeak in. Think ill just throw it out there in the wtb and see what happens

61 - 80 of 106 Posts