RS Warrior Forum banner

65 Tooth Rear Pulley

38K views 105 replies 41 participants last post by  Heftysmurf 
#1 · (Edited)
Finally, reached down for 6th at 80 and found it!
It's a 65 tooth pulley from a late model hardley, 35 bucks delivered. I had to ream out the bolt holes, easy. Also had to shorten the belt by two teeth, not so easy. I had to order a new belt anyway (picked up a piece of gravel, made a nice hole in my belt).

If you were thinking about the 33 front, consider a HD 65 rear. There are a ton of them on eBay, 20 - 500 bucks, depending on how fancy. It's easy to do and you get about twice the effect of the 33 front.

[
] gps80mph -@- 2600rpm [
] Don't even think about high gear 'till 60. 4th now goes past 100.
[Roadie 5th gear, Roadie 33t front, HD 65t rear, Gates 128t x 1 1/8"]
Edit: 3/5/2012 (now 33t front, HD 65t rear, Falcon Carbon 128t x 1.5")

The new one...

See less See more
#83 ·
Do some searching on the forum. There are several threads on the subject.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

#84 ·
Read through this thread thoroughly, lots of good information about running a 31T front, 65T rear, as well as the 33T front 65T rear.

Basically, More teeth on front pulley equals more top end (less rpm at speed), less torque off line.
and the less teeth in the rear equals more top end (less rpm at speed), less torque off the line.
Vise versa if you add teeth to rear or reduce teeth in front.
You can think of this like bicycle gearing. Bigger ring in front, harder to pedal. Smaller ring in rear, harder to pedal. and vise versa.

#91 ·
Well Scotty it seems like you want a bolt on piece which is not out there. It seems like you want someone to ask the questions and make the purchase for you. Sorry ain't going to happen. If you would have read what I wrote then you would know what to look for. "Most" of those pullies will work with minor work. If you ask the ebay seller some questions then it might make the purchase feel better. I am also sure this has been done by many others and it wasn't rocket science and the 61 tooth pulley you bought....did it fit? If so then I guess you have your answer if it didn't what happened?

#92 ·
I guess, I'm gathering from the replies, that the Harley pullies must basically all fit. When looking for a 1 1/8" pulley, they seem to come up as 883's. In the past, when I requested more info on the pulley I bought, the seller couldn't answer. Yamaha near me couldn't answer any questions. It's really kinda pitiful how little people know about the parts they're selling, as well as people in parts depts that act like "custom" is another language. The 61t I bought would fit, but I decided I didn't like its look well enough to buy a new belt. I had to drill it out...I realize this is custom work and I'm not afraid of that, shoot that's what makes it fun. Anyway, I'm searching for a 68t to go with my 33t, maybe I can use the stock belt still. I was really pressing to get a specific harley, and hope I wasn't too much of a jerk about it. I had an auto accident a few years back with a brain injury and since then I've caught myself being a jerk more than once. Thanks for keeping it civil

#93 ·
You are correct and especially about ebay. Too many people just selling stuff that have no idea and that is why I always tell people to educate yourself as you probably know more than the Ebay guy. In regards to your quest, hit up Sandytows as he has that set up exactly and can maybe help you a bit further. Also what puts a spin on things when people are selling harley pullies is they come into contact with Buell pullies which are even narrower. Also some sellers measure the width never accounting for a little adjustment movement of the belt. Good luck on your journey and no worries...no harm no foul. Plus I am usually the hothead.

#94 ·
The 33/68 will work with a stock belt.
My 68t came from a sportster that's all I can say really. I bought my setup from another member "stellmon". The mounting holes needed to be drilled out and I think I have a small spacer in there to align the pulleys. Also.I had to grind my swing arm just a little to stop it from rubbing under aggressive riding.
It's been on there for 4 or 5 years now and I don't remember much else. Maybe search my post and you can find some info.
Or try an advanced search for threads that stellmon and I participated in and you might find his for sale listing.
The advanced search is a great tool but it takes some practice and it's best used on desktop/laptop and not mobile. Alan H has some great discussions about pulleys too.
But I'll be honest if I had to do it again I would probably not do the 68 and just stick with the 33/70.
This is my current setup.

Reactions: random_guy
#96 ·
Just to clarify, the reason I went with the 33/68 was to lower my final drive ratio. I was looking for a 33t and Stellmon had the 33/68 set for sale so that's what I got. While I did gain something I don't know that it's worth the effort doing 33/68 versus just the 33. A better solution for final drive change would be the 33/65 but that requires changing the belt to slightly shorter.
If you're looking for aesthetics the 68T gives you lots of aftermarket options if you make are willing to mod the pulley some, but personally I like the yamaha factory pulley especially chromed.

#98 ·
I can tell I have the 33t by how the clutch reacts, that’s just one tooth. Going 2 more teeth I feel is riding the clutch to its max. Just my opinion, but going to a 65t is really giving the clutch a hard work out. I‘ve had 2 Honda VTX1800s and I installed the 1300 final drives on them. That was also just one tooth, but worked out nicely. Anyway, thanks for sharing your experience with this subject matter.

#99 ·
70-2 is proportionally less difference than 32+1.
With a few upgrades rhe warrior clutch can handle serious torque. Popular mods the the Barnett pressure plate and the 2or3 full plate mod. Both of which I have. I can still lift the front wheel if I'm not careful.
The 1 1/8" belt becomes the weak link.

If you're really looking to make the gears taller the 33/65 is a great change with about 10% effect on final drive you just have to change the belt length.

#102 ·
Going by the previous post in this thread 128 teeth is the right length for the 3365 combination I don't know about the offsets

#103 ·
Sorry to bother you with this question, but I think you said you are running your bike with a harley pully. If so, is the belt straight over the center of the pully where it's bolted to the wheel, or is the pully offset away from the wheel? I keep going back and forth on whether or not to do this mod, and I keep coming back to wanting a project. Your input is appreciated

#104 ·
I'm sorry I just don't remember. it's been on the bike like that for a number of years and I have the bike put away in a friend's garage it's not easy for me to get to this time of year.

I don't think there's any spacers involved but I wouldn't swear by it

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.