RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
4,527 Posts
compared to a gsx-r 1000, it IS really slow and always will be. Currently, there is no way to advance the timing. You can stick on a turbo, NOS, big bore kit or all three and it will not seem as slow but you're comparing apples to oranges.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Elea247,

If the dealer downloaded a map for your PCIII then it should be good to go. There's no need or way to advance the timing...Being you said the map is supposedly a custom map, I'll assume that the dealer dyno'ed the bike and created a map for your set-up. If they didn't then they probably just downloaded a map from Powercommander.com that was close to your set-up.

What kind of pipes did you install? Samson, Vance & Hines, Cobra, Hard Chrome, others?

Any other mods?

Go to www.powercommander.com and check out the available maps that are there for the RoadStar Warrior. You can download them all or pick the one that is closest to your set-up. Try the map closest to your set-up and if necessary make slight adjustments manually on your PCIII, until you get your bike to run like you want.

I highly recommend that you do the "Perfect Install" on your PCIII, if it hasn't be done yet. Well worth it!![^]

There are also some good maps here...See if there isn't one that is close to your set-up. Or if you like tell us what your set-up is and we can probably find a good map for you to try. Unless you have your bike dyno'ed and a true custom map done...You'll have to settle for something that is close and make whatever adjustments necessary to get your bike to run the way you want.

Oh...And you can't compare a "super bike" to a "performance cruiser"...The Warrior is a different kind of beast...But be warned it'll surprise you![/emoticons/emotion-5.gif]

Mark aka Mad Man

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
wow you guys are fast. I have samson with an intake kit ( K&N) . the map was downloaded so the bike was not dynoed. They told me it was custom but i think what they meant is it was custom for my bike. I did just seen an ignition module online for $ 270 thats supposed to alter timing. Has anyone tryed it?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for the welcome. It is red with two silver racing stripes. new: bars, grips, stilleto seat, removed the bracket for the rear break cylinder. I wish i could find some midnight rims for it because i dont realy like the polished ones. I would like to repaint it this winter. Possibly flat black with two orange racing stripes that go all the way past the seat. heat wrap the pipes with black. change out the forward controls or have them powder coated black. I want to do something different with the headlight but cant think of anything yet. About the only two things i have seen are skulls and draggon heads. Both are way too expensive. Just a heads up, im sure most of you know but there is a recall on the pick up coil. I had mine replaced two days ago. Thank you for all your help. By the way i noticed that there is some debate about the M-109 going on. My roomate bought his the same time i bought my warrior and first day we dragged them. I kicked his ass but he sais he missed third gear. He still cant realy get anything for his bike yet so its fun to fire up the bike each day and rev it up so i can wake him up with my pipes.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Elea247,

What Samson's do you have? Street Sweepers, Ground Pounders, Slashers, Ripsaws?

Look in the "Classifieds" here and see if there are any Midnight rims for sale.

Red with racing stripes? Well...At least you got the second fastest color...[/emoticons/emotion-5.gif]

MIDNIGHT WARRIORS RULE!

Mark aka Mad Man

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
they are just like yours but with turn downs. yea i wanted the midnight but they didnt have any left. so i went with what they had. I dont have a stock bike for long. I had this one torn apart second day. its a nice looking bike, blinding, i bet its a bitch to clean. where is the break cylinder? did you use a relocator kit?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
no one has any rims. even the guys who put on the tire kits just alter the existing rims so they dont have anything left over.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Elea247,

Yeah...You probably got the Street Sweepers...Basically the Street Sweepers, Ground Pounders and Slashers are the same pipes.

Thanks! I like it...And Yes! She's hard to keep clean. I installed the relocation kit for the rear master cylinder to get it out of the way. There's a member here who thinks I should get a chrome brake caliper and bracket for the rear. I might one day...But I want to keep that dark, sinister look though.[}/emoticons/emotion-1.gif] What chrome I have on her now is just the right amount for detail, as of now.

Anyway best of luck with your new ride. If I can help with anything, just let me know.

Mark aka Mad Man

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ACTUALY, yes. i have been looking around all day for performance goodies. The only thing i found that would realy increase my horse power is compression. I have read about the high compression pistons and no one had anything bad to say about them. however when i bought the bike the guys in the service department told me that they were told in yamaha school that the high compression pistons are breaking connecting rods at high rpms. I think there are two compression pistons out there the 10.25 and 10.75. Is there anything that is 10 - 1 or less. I think the stock is 8.3 to 1 so even 9.5 to 1 would definatly give it a kick. If there is anyone else out there that installed the pistons, please let me know how it turned out.

·
Super Moderator
8,496 Posts
quote:Originally posted by Elea247

however when i bought the bike the guys in the service department told me that they were told in yamaha school that the high compression pistons are breaking connecting rods at high rpms.

Welcome.

Maybe they were talking about the Quad...
The Warrior isn't capable of high RPMs or any high enough to break a con rod...
10.25:1 is a good piston to get. Anything much higher and you could have detonation issues during the summer months with bad gas.
BTW you can do a static timing advance with the timing wheel but the gain is marginal.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Welcome, theres a ton of information on this forum and Ive found theres a tons of good peaple Im sure you will enjoy it here.[8D]

Insert Image:

25.76 KB

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you for your advice on the timing and the pistons. with the timing what did you mean by " static" is that when you set it up and it doesnt change with the powercurve and what degree did you go with? Also if i have a powercomander and pipes am I able to drop in the 10.25-1 pistons with no other modifications( Je or Yamaha?) and will it shake as bad as the big bore kit? Thank you so much for your help. You guys have been great. I wish I knew about this website earlier, i probably would never have bought the GSX-R 1000.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
please disregard the last message. I just talked to Patrick Racing and they said the big bore kit is the way to go. I would not have to mess with anything except the power commander, it would be more reliable and would not shake. Does anyone have a map they downloaded that is simular to my set up? Straight pipes, power commander, high flow intake kit. I also talked to them about timing and they said the idnition module was supposed to come out but it has been posponed because of production bugs. Thank you for advice.

·
Super Moderator
8,496 Posts
High compression pistons in the Warrior actually make it less prone to vibration and IMO they smooth the motor out.
Static means fixed. Not sure why a big bore would be more reliable. Sounds like a smoke screen sales pitch to me.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The way he explained it is that the high compression pistons are built for their cylinders and if mine are abit different then i will not get the full performance. With a big bore kit they are going to put in sleeves that are going to match the pistons percicely. I dont know it kind of made sence but he could have been blowing smoke up my ass. The part that did make sence to me is that he said that with high compression pistons i can get over heating. Thats part makes sence what didnt is that the big bore kit cames with the same high compression pistons. So now we have bigger displacement with bigger compression. It would only make sence to me that it would be more proned to over heating. I still cant realy get the horse power increase. The sales guy said it would only be 15. As i understand the stock model is about 78. So 15 is nothing. However, it would boost compression by 2 points and with the power comander and pipes i would think it would run better than just 15 horses. They said their turn around time is 15 days, which probably means 2 months. I'm leaning more and more to leaving it alone till winter and then tearing it appart. Im hopping to get some feedback from people with big bore kits.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I have speedstar pipe, churchkey vbak, pcIII. I downloaded a map from a member with the same set up. It ran alot better, but this spring I went and had a custom map done for 100 bucks, gained 3 horses. Went from 84.1 to 87.4. I am not sure on torque yet. I have to take it up and they are givin it a run for me to get that number. Welcome

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Elea247,

I'd say leave it alone for now...Ride her a bit and then later on if you decide you want to go with a BIG bore kit or even hi-compression pistons then go for it. Right now, I'd find a map that was close to your set-up and if necessary manually adjust your PC III, until you get the bike running like you want.

That's just my opinion though...

Me...I'm getting ready to install a NOS kit on my Warrior for a little horsepower in the bottle. I think an extra 35 or 40 horsepower at the push of the button is a better way to go. For now that is...

Mark aka Mad Man

1 - 20 of 32 Posts