RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
13,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I'm gonna throw this one out, because I can't be the only one who didn't know this. Several months ago, a member asked about what octane gas to use, and I immediately said premium. I've put premium in all my bikes, and I've owned a bike for almost 30 years. Bike runs smoother, it's only a few cents per gallon more, seems pretty common sense. Well, several members told me that the Warrior was made for 87 octane (unless you have high performance pistons) and I was wrong. Sooo, for the past 3 months I've been testing this out. Seems they were right. I don't get one mile less per gallon since I've switched to 87 octane. I don't get any more vibration, my plugs look awesome (maybe a little lean, but that's my fault, not the gas) and in every respect the bike seems to be the same. So, save your money, and go to 87 octane if you haven't already. There's got to be someone out there that didn't know this ;)

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Right there with you Leader.

I learned the same thing from this forum. I used to put the highest octane fuel in my Warrior, thinking that I was paying a little extra for a little extra performance. That is how it is marketed to the consumer, after all. And then I was educated.

I use only 87 octane in my Warrior, but 91 octane in my Nissan Murano (10.3:1 compression), as recommended by the manufacturer.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Exactly. My mustang loves premium, when I'm not feeling cheap ;)
Yep, I've put 87 octane in the Murano before, just to see, and to save a few dollars. It pings and knocks though, especially when the air temperature is high. So, it absolutely prefers the more expensive stuff, unfortunately.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I was just talking to a buddy about 87 octane last night. Told him that's all I ever ran in the Warrior. He has an 05 Hayabusa. Not sure what they were designed to run on, but regular unleaded does the trick for me.

I remember my first bike, an 82 Kawasaki 550LTD that ran on regular LEADED gas. There was one station in town that sold premium leaded gas that was like 93 octane. Made that little 550 really go!!

·
Premium Member
2,461 Posts
I will comfirm that 87 will not run in HC warrior. sounds like the valves are going to fly out at anytime. had to run 87 in emergency once. I run 93 sunoco no ethonol with startron additive for when i'm on the road and can't find gas with no ethonol .

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Glad you posted the info Leader Deuce. My Warrior is my 1st V-twin and before that I've owned nothing but high powered sportbikes that I ran 93 octane in.

I'll still probably pump some 93 octane in her every now & then just because she's my baby and she deserves a treat every now & then.

·
Premium Member
13,680 Posts
...There's got to be someone out there that didn't know this ;)
I guarantee there are lots out there who do not know this. The topic comes up on a semi-regular basis and will continue to show up now n then. Many, like you, will listen to the facts and go back to 87. Then there are those out there who are really into old wives tales. They will insist the higher octane rated fuel will give them more power, better mileage, cooler running, and will reduce their cholesterol. It's their money, they can waste it any way they want.:D

·
Premium Member
13,680 Posts
...I remember my first bike, an 82 Kawasaki 550LTD that ran on regular LEADED gas. There was one station in town that sold premium leaded gas that was like 93 octane. Made that little 550 really go!!
It was no where even close to my first bike, but I did buy a new one way back when. That lil 550 four was pretty quick. It handled well also. I hit a deer doing between 55 and 60mph with it. Killed the deer but I was able to keep the bike up. I wish I still had it.

·
Registered
109 Posts
idk, maybe its because of the high humidity down here in the tip of texas but, the engine made a funny noise when i was using 87. it made it when under load. almost sounded like pinging. i switched to 93 and it went away.
any theories?

·
Premium Member
4,574 Posts
Higher octane fuel helps to prevent pinging (which is actually pre-ignition before the piston reaches it's preset ignition position) because it has a lower flashpoint. Basically, in a high compression motor, the fuel has a tendency to ignite prior to the spark under heavy load once it reaches a certain heat and compression point. Using a higher octane prevents this because the fuel is not as volatile. Put another way, 87 octane will ignite before 93 octane will.

In a low compression motor like the Warrior, there is NO advantage to a higher octane, lower flashpoint fuel. But like oldman said, there are those who will continue to contribute to J Paul Getty's substantial retirement fund.

·
Premium Member
4,742 Posts
I read about this too a few months ago and switched back to 87. Also only get name brand gas. All the cheapies get their gas from the same exact tank at a bulk farm. There's one out here in Barstow. Cheveron has to ship their's in.

Haven't had any problems in the 100+ heat this summer on my 40 mile ride home from work everyday. Warrior's are bad a--!

G

·
Premium Member
13,680 Posts

·
Registered
867 Posts
The previous owner was using the higher octane fuel before I bought it. I immediately started using 87 octane after having learned through this forum. Does switching from one octane to another have an affect on the motorcycle / performance ?

·
Premium Member
13,680 Posts

·
Banned
1,864 Posts
This is from the owners model. Pump octane of 86 or higher or research octane number of 91 or higher. The manual does not say 86 pump octane is all that is needed for a specific reason. The octane the Warrior engine needs can change as combustion deposits build up and increase the compression ratios. Other variables that impact Warrior engine octane requirements include lower altitudes, higher air and engine temperatures and faulty spark timing, all of which create a need for higher octane. In CA the premium gas is limited to 91 pump octane. I prefer using 91 as this is the best insurance against engine performance degradation over time due to minor preignition, carbon build up or air/altitude conditions that push lower octane fuels into the area of poor performance. There is no one answer for Warrior engine performance and octane, which is why it says it there in the manual, or higher. The or higher is because Yamaha knows that engine condition and operating conditions can make the use of low octane ratings a suboptimal performance choice. The few extra cents per gallon seem to me to be cheap insurance against sub optimal engine performance. Is this a situation where each Warrior engine requires premium, no everyone runs in different weather conditions and with different engine tolerances during production and with different combustion build up and compression impacts. Me, seems that the manual is clear, up to the rider and the "or higher" recommendation from Yamaha is good enough for me and that is what I use as there is no common set of engine performance circumstances, altitude and envirnmental conditions. It is not as easy as saying, no problem use lower octane fuel. Without controlled tests I am unable to test to prove that 86 is good enough as 91 is not a performance improvement. And, riding location, engine production tolerances and build up impact engine performance so this is a moving target. Want to be sure you have the best and optimal conditions for engine performance, 91 octane or higher.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts