8,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Attachments

·
Registered
8,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is it yours?
Yeah, it will be 60 years old next year & I want to drive it for its B-day.
That's my current excuse.
Engine build begins this week the bare block is on the engine stand.

·
Premium Member
10,729 Posts
Yeah, it will be 60 years old next year & I want to drive it for its B-day.
That's my current excuse.
Engine build begins this week the bare block is on the engine stand.
You going carb or EFI, big or small block?

·
Registered
8,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You going carb or EFI, big or small block?
Top end will be 89 Vette aluminum head L98. Will sort things with a carb the TPI will go on after the car is drivable.

Gen-1 350 4 bolt .030 over with a 3" arm & 6" rods its 306 cu in. Had Crower custom grind a roller cam with 117 LCA & .488 lift = smooth idle & torque off idle.

Its a 2 dr wagon am building a utility vehicle it will live in black primer & have 15" steel wheels.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Wanna hear a sad shoebox story?

My dad bought a '55 210 2dr post in 1976 (I was 4). Gave it to me in '90 for my HS graduation gift. It had a 350 LT1, balanced/blueprinted, roller valvetrain, high comp pistons, cammed, TH400, 12bolt rear, hooker headers with dumps to side turnouts, etc. basically built to the hilt. Body was straight, interior was mint. Legit show car. I'd bought a 502 crate w/FI setup & 2 Garrett turbos. Kit was supposed to make @2kHP. Sold that stuff off to fund M/C racing efforts. Fast forward to 2002, wife and I were building our 2nd house and during the negotiations I'd bartered the kitchen cabinets for new construction signage for the cabinet co. (I owned a sign co back then). Well wife gets the estimate for how much credit we're gonna have for the cabinets and goes completely overboard ordering the cabinets/countertops.......all the bells and whistles, fancy doors/hardware, soft close, granite.....like $60k worth of stuff. We go to a meeting prior to the closing and learn that we're short on funds for the closing......so I end up emergently selling the Chevy for peanuts just to make the closing......

The new owner sent me this pic (he broke the side mirror and put that auto-zone crap on there):

I'm literally ashamed to reveal what I let it go for......put it to you this way, as I opened the storage facility it was in, I got the door 1/2 way up and the guy shoves me the check and says "I'll take it"......

·
Registered
8,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Nice piece Fasyankee to bad you had to let it go.

My ol lady had a fit when I wanted to buy a mint 55 vert, missed out on the car the witch is now an "X".

·
Registered
8,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Those are stainless? Should look nice sticking under the bumper.
They are stainless & will locate under the car center no f a r t can looking BS. Have stainless oval tail pipe tips that will exit the bumper through the oval back up light holes.

·
Registered
8,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Engine build started.

Block is a 4 bolt 70's era gen 1 350 @ ,030 over bore. Have owned this block since the 80's had it in a deuce coupe with a 671 blower & 2 fours etc.

Current build: Scored a 69 Z-28 302 forged steel arm = 3" stroke = 306 cu in.

New cam bearings & mains installed, pic = checking thrust bearing crank end play.

12-16-16.JPG (129.6 KB)

Attachments

·
Registered
8,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Changed ponies mid stream, decided I needed a stronger mill. Just don't want some youngin in an import with a fart can thinkin he can beat me to the next traffic light.

Had a super wazoo forged steel 350 crank from a 650+ HP oval track engine on the shelf. Scored a set of H beam rods & different bearings. It will be 355 Cu In & should make close to 400 ft lbs torque.

Custom grind roller cam going in.

12-16-17.JPG (129.8 KB)

Machined a ring pusher to square the rings 3/4" down in the hole to check/set end gaps.

1-17-3.JPG (129.1 KB)
1-17-4.JPG (129.2 KB)

Pistons/rods all in today + checked that the cam was degreed in properly.

1-17-5.JPG (129.5 KB)
1-17-6.JPG (129.8 KB)

Attachments

1 - 20 of 78 Posts