RS Warrior Forum banner

21 - 40 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
8,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Heads are 89 Vette with Manley SS valves & Crower springs .020 milled off.

Had a set of head studs, used them.

Stuck for now had to order 7.2 (Vette length) pushrods.

2-17-1.JPG (130.4 KB)
2-17-2.JPG (130.2 KB)
2-17-4.JPG (130.2 KB)

Attachments

·
Registered
8,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Its @ 9.9 & more than I wanted for a regular fuel driver. Heads have 55cc chambers but they make good torque. Will run premium fuel with the carb & set the mechanical advance for 24 crank degrees. When the Vette TPI goes on it will have knock sensors, running regular fuel if spark knock occurs they will kill timing before the pistons melt.

Fun huh?

·
Registered
8,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Valves are lashed, oil pressure with a cross drilled crank, .0025 @ the inserts & .020 rod side clearance is 60# = good. Hope to button it up today.
2-17-6.JPG (129.1 KB)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,257 Posts
Should be a fun ride Church. :)

We ran a 3.75 crank in a 307 block last year in our 360 sprint car. Pulled HARD, the tricky part was to get it geared right.

·
Registered
8,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Did you disassemble the oil pump and clean the burrs up and smooth her out prior to install?
Yep, new pump with adjusted .003 gear/rotor to housing clearance.

Had to modify a pickup to work with an early 5 qt pan that clears the rear steering. The pickup now sits 3/8" off the bottom.
Push in pickup tube is welded to the pump + I made a weld bracket from the screen that bolts to the pump cover.

Rear main cap oil galley is enlarged + the main feed passage to the block is radius ground at the entrance to it.

Also put baffles in the oil pan. Just a carry over from my early oval track wet sump motor building days.

·
Premium Member
3,060 Posts
Awesome work so far. It is the little things that make a difference in the end.

I am kinda glad I am done with the mustang build and just enjoying it more.

·
Registered
8,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Motor build complete. BTW when reworking the oil pan I welded a bung in the left side for a oil temp gauge.

Reworking the trans, speedo drive is being changed from electric to cable.
TCC lockup changed to engage in 4th gear only + it will have a dash switch to kill TCC lockup.

2-17-9.JPG (129.4 KB)
2-17-10.JPG (129.1 KB)

Attachments

·
Registered
8,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Going to call this mill George installed it on Washington's B-day.

Got lucky on the headers no mods necessary they fit out of the box.

2-17-16.JPG (128.8 KB)

Attachments

·
Registered
8,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Back to my build spent a month on Warriordog's truck.

Could not find a rear disc kit with a caliper piston size to correspond with the front calipers in use. A Wilwood piece meal kit was an option but pricey.

Got 80 Trans Am WS6 calipers & rotors, oval track weld brackets @ 10 bux each. Modified the brackets to fit the axle housing & corrected the installed height.

Left side is done right side gets welded in the AM.

4 wheel disc set up mimics 80 Trans Am with the WS6 brake option they
stop 60 to 0 in 146 ft.

Faced the axles, hub register OD reduced = new rotors fit without enlarging the center hole. Rotors are indexed to each axle, LR @ .0015 run out, RR @ .0025. Close enough for a DD (daily driver).

4-17-8.JPG (129.7 KB)
4-17-10.JPG (129.9 KB)

Attachments

·
Registered
8,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Have not updated this thread in a while.

Custom zero offset front hubs with Trans Am brakes.
Stock asbestos insulation removed from roof then cleaned, painted & new insulation.
Dash is done with SW gauges except am using a stock fuel gauge. Tach will be installed later.
Tilt column is in, radio will live in the glove box, hang on AC under the dash.
It’s a function over form build.
Had this fuse panel left over from a street rod build.
Rebuilt a stock distributor, changed mechanical advance springs & weights, converted it to electronic.
Moroso wires are from my last oval track car. Set the base timing using the starter to spin it over.
Carb gets a rebuild today.
4-17-14.JPG (130.2 KB)
5-17-2.JPG (129.4 KB)
5-17-6.JPG (130.1 KB)
6-17-5.JPG (129.8 KB)
7-17-3.JPG (129.6 KB)
8-17-1.JPG (128.8 KB)
8-17-2.JPG (129.6 KB)

Attachments

21 - 40 of 78 Posts