RS Warrior Forum banner

61 - 78 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
8,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #61 (Edited)
Overcast & threat of rain I decided to take the 57 to a local car show. Don’t have all of the glass installed so I put a big tarp in the back in case of rain, donned my full face helmet & drove to the show just for grins..

Its about the worse looking car I have ever driven & the sucker wins a trophy for best rat rod = cracked me up!

Did not take a camera pic in my driveway

DSCN0758.JPG (130.2 KB)

Attachments

·
Registered
324 Posts
:Thumbsup:Dunno if you watched the Honeymooners but it reminds me of the episode when Ralph made a Halloween contest and was suppose to be the man from space but the judges picked him as the winner and thought he was a pinball machine. lol

Looks great Church! If you decide not to go any further with it, it’s already a rat rod trophy winner so it’s already win win.

·
Registered
8,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #64 (Edited)
Pecking away @ the build am driving it everyday since I put the windshield in a week after the car show. Got cold out, connected the heater core & put the blower motor etc in = good cabin heat. Cut 1/8 polycarbonate sheet to fit the door window openings wedged in place with wood blocks / shims & clear packing tape = toasty cabin. Time to get the glass in the doors.

Left door window regulator was worn badly at the arm pivot pin, the hole was wallowed out & the pin was worn about 1/2 way through + the spring was broken.

New regulator is + 100.00 & shipping. New spring is 25.00 & pin 10.00 + the ride.

I ground the swedged side of the pin flush with the arm & drift punched it out. Screwed the regulator to a board, centered it under a 1 & 1/4 hole saw in the drill press & drilled a round hole. The pin diameter is 9/16 = a large 1/2 washer fits the pin perfectly. Had to turn the washer OD down a bit to fit the 1 & 1/4 hole then welded it to the regulator body.

Pulled a spring from some GM regulator I had but the center tab was clocked 90* off. Decided to machine a new pin & clock the slot 90* so my spring would work = don't have to purchase a spring & pin. Turned a piece of 3/4 bar stock in the lathe & finished it in the mill then assembly & welded the pin to the arm. Put 3 new rollers & pins on + clean & paint so for 10 bux for rollers & a little time I have a serviceable regulator.

reg 1.JPG (130.7 KB)
reg 2.JPG (130.5 KB)

Attachments

·
Registered
8,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #65 (Edited)
Quick update without pix, got a new PC tower & can't find do-do.

Scored silicone bronze TIG rod & rebuilt the rear bumper ends previous owners probably parallel parked using the braille method. Installed the f / r bumper ends the bumpers are painted semi gloss black.

Right door window run channels, regulators & glass are in its all new stuff. Kind of wish I had put power windows in if I'm not stopped @ a traffic light I can't adjust the right door glass I cannot reach it while driving.

Scored a class 3 trailer hitch for 20 bux & modded it to fit I drag my tag trailer to car swap meets.

Lowered it 1 inch front & rear with all of the aluminum engine parts & radiator it has sat an inch higher than the build datum line I used, ft camber is back to my set up .

Just been driving it put about 3K miles on it the longest run was 100 miles round trip to the big Coker Tire car show south of Chattanooga. Need to put an interior & carpet in it sucker is like riding inside a empty 55 gallon drum with someone beating on the outside of it @ interstate MPH.

·
Registered
8,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
Woddy. It sounds like a dream drive to me!

I remember these cars, yours is a good build. The best builds are mostly DIY plus sweat equity. Yours has both plus solid smart choices. You build solid hot rod bikes and cars. I enjoy following this build!
Thanks Mike, Things have slowed to a dull roar here time to get back to working on the old beast. The next project is to install / connect the cooling fan
circuit breakers, relays & triggers for auto operation. Now if she gets past 210* in traffic I pop the hood @ a traffic light & connect the cooling fan to the + battery terminal with an alligator clip, millennials probably do not understand this procedure :)

Take care

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
my 53 Chevy truck know as the death rattle is more of a primer hotrod. I recently got the heat/ac/ defrost hooked up and in perfect time . it got cold. ive been driving it daily for a while and I love it. its rough but awesome. congrats on your ratrod woody.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
my 53 Chevy truck know as the death rattle is more of a primer hotrod. I recently got the heat/ac/ defrost hooked up and in perfect time . it got cold. ive been driving it daily for a while and I love it. its rough but awesome. congrats on your ratrod woody.
Your truck is a d a m n nice piece, love it. No AC in my junk I finally got the heat working mid last winter I no longer need to gear up in bike leather to drive it on cold days :)

·
Registered
8,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #72 (Edited)
Update:
Cooling fan relays etc connected for auto operation I used a GM grounding switch in one cyl head on @ 212 off @ 195 its a 2 speed Taurus E-fan
am using low speed for coolant will use high speed for AC.

Left door glass is in, cannot believe the cost of the interior pieces now so I made kick panels, door cards & 1/4 cards from 1/8 panel board covered in faux Naugahyde the buttons are boat deck cover snaps. Made the windlace its 3" sticky back felt over 1/2" round foam insulation. All the tack strip was cut from my scrap pile of 1/4 & 3/8 plywood.

As stock the cargo area has a plywood floor with a trap door over the spare tire well then covered in leneoium with metal edging all around, seemed redundant to me the car has a metal floor, I made a cover for the spare tire hole then insulated everything it will get carpeting.

The brake pedal is part of a S10 brake pedal adapted to the 57 brake arm. Stock gas pedal is floor mounted I hate that style pedal scored a Jeep hanging gas pedal & adapted it to the 57 linkage.

Entry level Chevy did not have door pulls I had 58 Olds door pulls on the shelf.

CA8.JPG (128.9 KB)

DSCN0914.JPG (129.9 KB) CA8.JPG

DSCN0914.JPG

·
Registered
8,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
It may have been a Shine runner!!! Car was built @ the Atlanta assembly plant I bought it in middle GA.

Pulled the garnish moldings for the middle & rear side
windows from storage today I need them in place to make the trim pieces.

For longest time I have entertained the idea that this wagon was used to haul moonshine.
It’s a plane jane 150 model that was a 6cyl std shift, what I was somewhat
puzzled about is why did it have an extra main leaf in each rear spring +
coil spring helpers clamped over the rear shocks It had to be hauling heavy
loads, it never had a trailer hitch on it. It was not used as a work wagon
the rear wheel houses are not dented at all. What I discovered today when
looking @ the rear garnish moldings is holes in the moldings along the window
edges for what I deem as locations for tarp snaps. What are we hauling that
needs to be hidden? A quick measurement shows that 64 one gallon jugs will easily
fit in the cargo area with the rear seat folded down. 64 gallons of water @ 8lbs per gallon = 512 lbs which is probably the same weight as moonshine = we need helper springs ?

·
Administrator
28,573 Posts
Prohibition ended in 1933 so after that time there was less need for big hp motors, and the 6 with the manual trans was perfectly capable of hauling six adults. The extra spring capacity with no trailering would have been a stiff ride. Heck I would have loaded up moonshine just to smooth out the ride!

·
Registered
8,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
'68 I was stationed @ Ft Benning GA I went to a NASCAR race @ a 1/2 mile paved track in Macon GA (Petty won) they were selling shine in no lable pint bottles in the men's wash room I chalked it up to crazy hillbilly's. About 10 years later I found out the track was closed by the Feds in the early 70's there was a moon shine still under turns 3 & 4. I had always thought that the "runnin shine" thing was over after the movie Thunder Road.

·
Administrator
28,573 Posts
I like NASCAR because of things like that. Back when it opened, I could get a few sips about a hundred feet from the gate of the track in Avondale AZ there was always a guy with his trunk open in a dirt pull-out shielded by a mound.

Of course now some states allow moonshine sales and its become commercial. But there are plenty of people with stills in their garage and now there are companies making and advertising the stills.

Seems to me the home shine is usually very good. But I still prefer single malt scotch :)

61 - 78 of 78 Posts