RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey there everyone. I just signed up and I've got a question. I have a new 2005 roadstar warrior and I'm having a lot of problems with it stalling. I've had it back at the shop I bought it from for literally 3 months! They did this and that and kept telling me about the complicated diagnostic process. Finally they told me it was a valve sticking and that it was fixed. They also raised the idle from 500 to 900. This seemed to fix the problem, but I got my bike back near winter and didn't have much time to ride it. Now that it's summer again I'm riding more and it's starting to stall again. Should I just live with this from my fuel injected bike or can someone suggest something else to try. My bike only has about 2200 miles on it.

·
Registered
10,143 Posts
They adjusted the idle from 500 to 900? I've never heard of one being set as low as 500. I think it's supposed to idle around 1000 just to provide lubrication throughout the engine while idling. 500 is DEFINITELY way too low. I'd bump it up to 1000. The day after I bought my '05 Warrior it stalled on me about 3 times when coming to a stop. I was used to my old V-Star that never did that and briefly thought about taking it back to the dealer. Instead I just bumped the idle up to about 1000 and learned that when stopping if I just blip the throttle a little bit, I can keep it from stalling out. In the last 5,000 miles or so I've had it stall on me once, maybe twice at most. I've heard several people new to the bike complain about it stalling when coming to a stop, but I don't think that anyone who has ridden the bike a couple of hundred miles or more has the problem anymore, probably at least partially because they've learned to anticipate the possible stall and have also learned how to deal with it. Do a search on "stall" on the forum and see what other people have said. Welcome to the group, by the way.

·
Registered
8,227 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

AS suggested reset your idle to 1K. Set it after you ride it about 20 minutes to insure the engine oil is thourghly warm. The ECU reads engine temps & adjusts fuel mixture & rpm accordingly so the engine needs to be fully warmed up. The idle speed adjustment knob is located under the front of the seat. Its easy to find as its color is gold.

Let us know how you make out.

·
Registered
7,695 Posts
Welcome to the site odinbld. That's great advice that you've got right there, I normally adjust my idle to between 800-1000 rpm and I rarely get any stalls. I do find that the idle screw under the seat can vibrate and adjust itself over time so it might just need a 1/4 turn to bring the rpm back up a bit. As Churchkey said, just warm up the engine, remove the seat and with the bike ticking over, turn the screw until you get the desired rpm. Best of luck.

·
Registered
5,354 Posts
I'm glad I read this thread. My idle was down around 500rpm as well and it had started stalling more and more often too. I think Brit Warrior is onto something. I believe the vibration had alot to do with it because this is something that developed over time. I adjusted the idle to around 900rpm and it seems to be doing fine now.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the info guys, I'll give it a try and see what happens. I'm afraid I'm looking at a couple days of thunderstorms here in Maryland, but I'll see what I can do. I thought the idle had to be set with a computer though. At least that was the impression I got from the dealer. I can't believe how fast I got these responses!! You guys rock. Which is good because I've got a lot of ideas for customizing my ride and can defiantly use the advice

·
Registered
177 Posts
Make sure you let her warm up before you head out, this will help also. I noticed mine will stall if I don't let it warm up some. Also get the idle up around 1000RPM, like previously suggested.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Mine has a tendancy to stall if I start it up and take it out without letting it warm up. Also if I don't run 89 octane or higher it seems to have more trouble as well. Maybe this will help. Welcome and it will get better.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Welcome aboard!
Let the mods begin!
Stalling? Let's see...try a VBAK, AIS block, pipes, PR kit, PC-3, and a custom map. What stall? hehee

·
Registered
539 Posts
quote:Originally posted by gitrdone

Make sure you let her warm up before you head out, this will help also. I noticed mine will stall if I don't let it warm up some. Also get the idle up around 1000RPM, like previously suggested.

Thats exactly how mine runs best.But like churchkey said let that baby warm up good before adjusting idle and what shag said some times you have to anticipate the stall .I have over 3k on my 05 And after doing these things i am much happier.I truley think the problem is the warrior is getting mad when you come to a stop that why it stalls . It wants to run that mean ole warrior[/emoticons/emotion-2.gif][/emoticons/emotion-2.gif][/emoticons/emotion-2.gif][/emoticons/emotion-2.gif]

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
I've had my 03' since it was brand new and it was idling kind of low when I got it too. Stalls were common. Like it has been posted, get your bike good and warm and then adjust the idle up around 800-1000 (mine is about 900) and that should take care of the problem for you. Check is once in awhile because it can vibrate back down some like others have mentioned. Welcome to the 4m and the bike.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
quote:Originally posted by odinbld

I thought the idle had to be set with a computer though. At least that was the impression I got from the dealer.

The warrior is fuel injected so the air fuel mixture is set electronically. The idle is a good ole fashioned screw. As far as complicated diagnostics, this bike is easy in my opinion. You may want to find a different dealer with a more experienced service dept.

And, Welcome to the site!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am new to this site and have just bought my first RSW and had a stalling problem on the way home. As soon as i could pry my self away i came in here and started my search in your 4m on how to fix the problem and found it in less time than it would have taken me to call and talk to the dealer thanks for the help.[/emoticons/emotion-2.gif]

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
quote:Originally posted by refire

I am new to this site and have just bought my first RSW and had a stalling problem on the way home. As soon as i could pry my self away i came in here and started my search in your 4m on how to fix the problem and found it in less time than it would have taken me to call and talk to the dealer thanks for the help.[/emoticons/emotion-2.gif]

Now thats how you use the search function. Welcome refire.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts