RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to share this, as it might make me feel a little better!

As you all know, is quite difficult for us on this side of the pond to buy goodies. They just don't exist over here.

For another forum member to help out and put themselves to all that trouble with shipping etc, is beyond the call of duty and we all really appreciate it.

A very good friend on the forum has helped me a few times with parts from US suppliers. For simplicity he shall remain nameless - but needless to say, has been a great help.

He recently got me a set of Big Johnson bars from Phats and is in the process of getting me some risers and cables.

I inspected the bars on arrival - they were very well packed - and they were fine.

I fitted them to the standard risers while I am waiting for the new ones and I spent most of yesterday internally wiring them. And we all know what a job that is!!!

I did the R/H side , no probs, I managed to get the L/H side almost all the way in, but decided to raise the bars at an angle - to allow me to see a little better.

As I held the bar next to the clutch mounting, I felt a piece of foil on my thumb.

Imagine my horror, when I saw a chrome covered thumb print and a bare patch of handlebar! - - It was actually about 3/8" square and about an inch from where the bar narrows for the controls.

There must have been a small area of chrome that had not adhered properly and as I pressed it with my thumb, it lifted off.

I felt SICK! - - It was like that moment in Thriller - where the camera zooms in!

Anyway the point of this post (apart from helping me to feel a little better), is to say that I have to accept that I am unable to do anything about it..

Had I been living in the US I would have still been in a tricky position, having spent all that time soldering the wires and all the grief associated with fitting the bars - I may have been reluctant to remove them. (I think), But I may have called Phats for a chat about it.

When you consider the fact that it cost me over $90.00 just to get them here!

Sending them back is not an option.

That's the risk you take when you buy things this way - Anyway, I love the bars and can't wait to complete the set-up.

I has not put me off - I would do the same again tomorrow.

If anyone has any suggestions for stopping the rest of the chrome from lifting I would like to hear them.

There is no moral to this tale - except to say $H*T HAPPENS!!!!

Now..... what else can I buy............I feel better already!

I will post some pics tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
1,482 Posts
Jarv,

I feel your pain.....

I had a problem with some TT bars I bought from the states. I got them fitted only to find they were twisted slightly.

Had to take them off and tweek them in a press, but managed to get them right without damaging the chrome.

If you leave your bars as they are, knowing they are faulty is gonna bug you no end.

It's worth letting the manufacturers know you have a problem, they may not be able to do anything for you, but it may save others experiencing the same thing in the future.

Any chance of getting them rechromed? or maybe get a cable clamp made that will cover it up.

Nick

·
Registered
188 Posts
There is a fix for this problem. i like many others have ordered parts that are chrome. when they arrive, before the chrome can flake off, i take them right to the sandblaster and blast that shiny stuff right off. Then I take the parts to get them powdercoated black. I know there are a lot of folks out there that love their chrome, but once you go black you never go back.

Joking aside, i can't imagine ordering parts, paying for the crazy shipping and then have them be defective. I would be a bit pissed. But at least over there you don't have Obama bankrupting your country and turning it into the Old Soviet Union.

If there is anything any of us ca ndo over here let us know. i'm sure there isn't one of us who wouldn't go the extra mile for a warrior brother.

·
Premium Member
5,858 Posts
MuDfReAk said:
But at least over there you don't have Obama bankrupting your country and turning it into the Old Soviet Union

we've got a 'one eyed idiot'[quoting clarkson whilst in Oz] doing a grand job of running our country.. so far up it's own a!se it doesn't dare say boo to anything in case we get nicked for being terrorists spys!..

Apparently every child born here now, has a debt of £17,000 from his first breath..

Ya can get shot in the head 7 times here, for wearing a rucksack and having the wrong face!! - Our Gordon Brown and his sleazy partner in shafters Blair make your Statesmen look really real [rant over]

Can any one put a handle on this good chrome bad chrome thing..i always thought USofAstuff was so much better than our rubbish - triple plated and the like [renthol uk stuff comes to mind for real bad]...but i did buya Barons 'device' plate for the handlebars last June .. and even covered in gt85 hasn't made past this winter [rusting underneath a treat]

I'd just like to add a big thanks to you guys state side for all the help and kindness on a daily basis...[*]

Jarv ...that's just a mean thing to happen.. and i believed it only happened to me...how ya going to stop the rot?

·
Registered
188 Posts
i really think it is who the supplier is for the parts. sometimes they may be american compaines who buy crap from china. i can't think of name brand on my TT bars, but i have drilled, tapped and done everything to those bars and they still have nice chrome....soon to be removed.

send me pics of yours and maybe we can trade bars. i'm just going to remove the chrome anyway.the reason i put holes in mine was to hide the wiring, other than that they are innear perfect condition. i think USPS international shipping is not as bad as others. i quoted sending pipes to a guy in new zealand and it only came out to be around $65.

·
Premium Member
3,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Nick, the clamp is a good idea. Deserves a bit of serious thought. The only problem is the bars are quite tapered at that point.

Due to the work involved with the wiring etc I wont be taking them off yet...... Prob at the end of the year and I will powder coat them.

I will post a couple of pics tomorrow - - now that I have recovered from the shock!

My wife has hidden all the rope and sharp tools in the garage!

PS. It will bug me but....... It's just a shame... .. I have painted the scab with clear laquer - don't know if that will help

·
Premium Member
3,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
mmmmmmmmmm............. Handlebars........ Chrome............. Politics - - How did THAT happen?

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
I would go with taking them to a good chromer and seeing what he says, but also contact the manufacturer and see if they will help you out. Some suppliers will go the extra kilometer.

·
Registered
114 Posts
jarv said:
Thanks Nick, the clamp is a good idea. Deserves a bit of serious thought. The only problem is the bars are quite tapered at that point.
Due to the work involved with the wiring etc I wont be taking them off yet...... Prob at the end of the year and I will powder coat them.

Can you get your hands on aluminum tape? While it's nowhere near as bright as chrome, you could mask/seal the wound with a small piece.

·
Premium Member
3,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:

Can you get your hands on aluminum tape? While it's nowhere near as bright as chrome, you could mask/seal the wound with a small piece.

Thats a thought - it wouldn't look too bad compared to the current situation.

Heres a picture (not a very good one) showing the patch. It looks misted around the edges - but that's where I have painted over it for now with clear cote.

The bars look filthy but it is just fingerprints and poor light making it all look worse than it is. You can get an idea of the size and position of the patch.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Duck tape the b**ches and ride. B**ch about it later.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Hi mate. It may not be what you want, but you could always strip themand powder coat them black or cherry red etc! How many of us UK riders have chrome. Be different. Powder coating is the new chrome...? plus it won't break the bank.

Another alternative would be to get a good quality skull/yamaha tuning forks/a.n.otherpvc stickermade up and slap that on.

·
Registered
747 Posts
what about getting some of alsacorp chrome stuff? mask and fix. probably would look better than it does now. www.alsacorp.com

worth a shot?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts