RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
DO NOT ATTEMPT DIY BAK! THE RETARDED GRIN FROM NOISE, POWER AND JUST PLAIN I-ENGINEERED-MY-DONE-SELF MAY STICK! Think of the children!

I managed to complete a ton of mods in 5 days without buying any kits and the help of the internet. And the best part was it worked the first time!!!
[*]removal of them plastic parts on left and right sides that get in the way of my long @$$ legs
[*]AIS removal and blockoff using homemade plates
[*]Fuel pressure regulator relocation
[*]New Dry break/fuel line reroute
[*]Drain line reroute
[*]Coil/LCV/BAR/MAP sensor relocation
[*]PCV install (aka $5 Krankvent) and used a spare vent line from gas tank to draft to road
[*]Mounting plate cut with a cutting torch (temporary till my buddy can cut one with his plasma cutter)
[*]K&N 1290 Filters!
[*]24 cans of bud heavy!
[/list]

Here's the pics:

Disassembly, notice the pile of crap on the floor:

Reassembly and re-jiggered wiring harness:

Top assembly plate:

Remounted FPR using a cleverly twisted AP sensor bracket:

Completed left side, homemade AIS block and new "Johnson/Evanrude" dry break:

Complete Right Side:

Complete Left Side:

A Moron Riding a bike on a 16 degree day:

[/list]

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Do you have FI Clamps on the high pressure side of your FPR? From the pics it looks as iff there are no clamps. Did you re-use stock assembly between the 90 deg fittings? Also did you re-install the Motor mount, this mount is important. It isn't in your pics. Just checking.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep, on the high side for the fuel system I used the specialty high pressure FI clamps from advanced auto and reinforced fuel hose. I did reuse the stock assembly with the 90degree fittings, I just flipped it vertical and made sure it wasn't rubbing on anything or had too munch tension, or it was kinked.

Now here's where I'm going to ask a stupid question, but probably better to be stupid sound than not to ask. Im assuming thats the bracket, in a previous life, that connected the top part of my frame to the left sides of my jugs. I thought people were running without it, but I definitely don't wanna bungle anything up. Should this stay?

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
You definatly should re-use it. It is the only motor mount stabilizing the top of your jugs. You can trim the excess barcketry off of the bottom of it that previously held the FPR and AIS. Looks good by the way.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
You most likely will have to extend the FPR line with the fittings to get the motor mount on. I ran it in the rear of the round throttle hookup and then bent it below it to the connection to the throttle body. Make sure you use FI hose and FI hose clamps here as well

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Points taken, I guess all the engine torque would be twisting the bottom half of the alum frame otherwise... probably not good for the welds. I'll get er done before I take her out for the inaugural ride. Thanks!

Did you trouble taken out the bolt that connects the motor mount to the softer metal below that held the dry break and fpr and ais reed valve? I can't seem to get it out and I nearly bent my hex wrench around.

·
Premium Member
8,912 Posts
exabrial .... FYI, what you think is the high pressure side of the FPR is actually the Low Pressure sidethat returns the fuel to the auxtank under the seat. The F.I. clamps and F.I.fuel hose is not req'd on this sidebut no harm done.

The OEM fuel line you reshaped with the 90deg elbows and disconnect is the High Pressure side. Be sure that these fittings are snapped completely in place and reinstall the ABS safety clips that fit over these lines. If not done properly this line will eventually come apart and you'll have fuel on a hot engine in a heart beat.

Note: It's possible the fuel flow from your selected dry break will be to restrictive when at highway speeds to the aux tank but i've been wrong before. The proof is in the pudding.

Good Luck

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What I meant by "high side" was anything past the fuel pump, but you're absolutely right, it's return from the injectors, but I did notice yamaha had put high pressure double spring clips that were nearly impossible to get off, so I figured it's better safe than on fire. The ABS clips are in place line from the fuel rail to the fpr. Should be good to go. Ran fine with no leaks tonight, keep my finger crossed the first few drives just to be safe.

About the dry break, looked far and wide in town for 1/2", but gave up. Forum members had reported using 3/8 dry breaks with no problems. The package for them said for use on the 95hp evanrude boat motors, which is about the range our bikes are in if you want to think of it that way... 1/8" less ID translates to 25% less fuel flow... I don't think the our engine was nearly anywhere near maxing out that 1/2" line... Guess we'll see :D Thanks for the input
skybejef Are you talking about churckeys kit? I would have, but I have a serious addiction with taking things apart and figuring things out... And my buddy likes cutting things out of metal. Do the stacks actually buy you anything or they just there to bend the filters downward and outta the way? I was thinking about making some from exhaust tubing.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
The stacks definately add HP. I did DIY's out of exhaust pipe, and added K&N cone filters. I previously had baron's kit, like yours. The difference was dramatic enough to make me smile wide.

·
Premium Member
8,912 Posts
exabrial said:
About the dry break, looked far and wide in town for 1/2", but gave up. Forum members had reported using 3/8 dry breaks with no problems. The package for them said for use on the 95hp evanrude boat motors, which is about the range our bikes are in if you want to think of it that way... 1/8" less ID translates to 25% less fuel flow... I don't think the our engine was nearly anywhere near maxing out that 1/2" line... Guess we'll see :D Thanks for the input
Again FYI, no criticism intended, but you're dealing with a circle and it doesn't work like that at all.

The area of the 3/8" ID hose is 78%smaller than the 1/2" (12mm) hose and the real issue is that the Evinrude dry break you have is restrictive.

The Warrior fuel is gravity feed to the aux tank where as the Evinrude is under pressure so the smaller restrictive orifice isn't a problem.

Bottom line, if there is a problem you'll know at higher sustained speeds and it's not life threatening ..... like i said earlier, i've been wrong before.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah, after you said that, 25% seemed small... It was bothering me last night so I went and looked for an answer... I think both our maths are wrong. Recalling college physics notes (doh!), volumetric flow rate of linear, incompressible flows of ideal fluids is: velocity * cross sectional surface area: Pi*(.5*ID)^2... Velocity is constant (I think), so the change in cross sectional surface area should reveal our answer. So plugging 100*((pi*((1.5/8)^2))-(pi*((1/4)^2)))/((pi*((1/4)^2)) into google gives: -43.75%. Yikes. I'll get out and 'test' it soon as we get some warmer weather.

·
Premium Member
8,912 Posts
exabrial said:
Yeah, after you said that, 25% seemed small... It was bothering me last night so I went and looked for an answer... I think both our maths are wrong. Recalling college physics notes (doh!), volumetric flow rate of linear, incompressible flows of ideal fluids is: velocity * cross sectional surface area: Pi*(.5*ID)^2... Velocity is constant (I think), so the change in cross sectional surface area should reveal our answer. So plugging 100*((pi*((1.5/8)^2))-(pi*((1/4)^2)))/((pi*((1/4)^2)) into google gives: -43.75%. Yikes. I'll get out and 'test' it soon as we get some warmer weather.

ROTFLMAO
... actually we are both correct ... just a matter of perspective ... marking up or marking down in the retail business with %

As i stated earlier, "The area of the 3/8" ID hose is 78%smaller than the 1/2" (12mm) hose ..."

As you stated, "The area of the 1/2" ID hose is 43.75% larger than the 3/8" hose"

This isn't rocket science, it'sbasic trigonometry: A=PI*r^2

The Fluid Dynamics & Bernoulli's Law (Not PressedOlive OIL)have already been calculated by Yamaha engineering, that why there is 12mm hose and a non-restrictive dry break
... for gravity flow: as thecross sectional areadiminishes so does the flow rate and the velocity willincrease over the orifice

I'm out of here ..... if your low fuel light comes on while doing sustained triple digits with a full tank of gas on boardyou'll know what the problem is.... and if not you'll know i was full of $hit

·
Registered
8,293 Posts
"if your low fuel light comes on while doing sustained triple digits with a full tank of gas on boardyou'll know what the problem is".

&THAT ladies & germs is the bottom line.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts