RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I suppose we have been lucky or unlucky enough to have this whole recall thing drop in our laps, that being said,I have a few suggestions for those of you that have been offered upgrade labor for free.

Most dealers aren't crazy about installing parts you bring to them in a box, right, wrong or indiffrent it really doesn't matter. I can totally see thier point. Even if you take the money issue out of the picture I still think their concerns are valid. Here's a guy ordering his first (cam kit, piston set or whatever) and bringing it in the shop.
"Did he order it correctly?"
"Did he order everything we'll need to finish the job?"
"What if there happens to be a problem with the part is he going to be the one to rectify the situation with the vendor?"
"Who will I call for technical advice/information?"
"I'm willing to stand behind my labor and install but being that I didn't source the parts should I (the dealer) stand behind them as well if something during the install went wrong? (but hey, it'll be easy to blame the parts he brought in in the paper bag)."
"How long are we going to have to wait for this guy to bring his parts in to get installed, his bike has been here for 3 weeks already?"

You guys know I am not trying to hose you, just let you know how SOME dealers might feel. And you guys also know that Orient Express is a "mail-order" vendor but we also are a distributor and ANY Yamaha dealer can buy from us without a problem. The dealer might even be able to offer you a better price than we do! The dealers are going to be swamped with Road Stars and Warriors in for tranny work so scheduling the work is going to be a real priority for them, we find it best to work directly with the dealers so we both can schedule our work that's coming in and out and if there is a question they can call us directly regarding time frames ect.... Sure we don't make as much money selling to the dealers, but in the end it almost always make for a better realtionship between you and your dealer and between OE and your dealer.

We're not going to stop selling to you guys by any means, I just want to make getting the most out of your recall an easy and painless experience for everyone. If your dealer is cool with you bringing suff in more power to them and your Cam Kit is on the way! LOL.

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
I've decided to let the dealer do the recall with no mods. I wll make sure that I have no problems with the work for the 90 days. Then I can do the mods myself. I would not want to split the case myself if I didn't have to, but I feel comfortable with doing any top end work and the cams. I can see some new heads, pistons and cams in my furture.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cool gunny, but you see my point, I'm not trying to be a ball breaker just want you guys to have the best relationship with your dealers as possbile.

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
I understand completly. When fixing one problem it's always best not to introduce new Variables.
I'm sure that many dealers would have this attitude. The dealer going to OE for the parts will give many of them more confidence about adding upgrades.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
My dealer definatley won't install parts brought in from an outside source (actually, i got him to once, but that was years ago) and I was hoping they wouldn't give me a hard time about going through Orient.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just have them call we're a full service distributor for lots of stuff we try and make it easy for them to do business with us.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Rob,

If a dealer is not currently selling OE products, but when I tell them about all the great products you have becomes interested, is there good contact information I can give them? Specifically a number and POC for dealers only.

·
Registered
128 Posts
My dealer STRONGLY suggested NOT to go through OE because of a prior bad experience. I am getting the Speedstar kit installed with a bunch of other stuff and I wanted to get the 100mm 12:1 pistons but they advised me not to. They did not flat out say no, but really were throwing caution into the wind. I just figure I'll have a speed shop a little further out add NOS next year.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I spoke w/ several of the dealers in my area (Wash, DC), and most seem reluctant to do any additional work during the recall; coincidentally, the 2 most adamant about NOT doing any additional work are the larger dealers. One (Freestate Cycle) even advertises as "DC's Powersports dealer", yet won't do any performance mods!
Anyone have a mechanic they're comfortable with, between DC and Richmond, VA?

KL

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
I was at my dealer today talking about the recall and they told me no problem to put OE's pistons in for me.They even seemed a bit excited to do it.They like more power too!!LOL.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I went to the dealer today which they did not believe me the Warrior was recalled. Fortunately I had the Technical bulletin printed out with all of the information they then started to believe me. Saving face on their part I we worked out a deal to change the swing arm, rims, and add the pistons with little extra labor charge. Unfortunately they were not able to get to Rob's price on the pistons, but they were close....

·
Registered
34 Posts
I really agree with Rob on this one. I know we spend more time and bandwidth on the bad dealers - sort of like when daddy gets home and mom spends an hour telling him about little Johnny putting the cat in the microwave to dry it off after a bath, and forgetting to mention that little Suzy got a gold star on her finger painting at pre-school.

There are a number of times when I buy products through my dealer that I know I can get a bit cheaper on the net, and not pay local sales tax. But I have a good working relationship with my dealer, and they support my STAR chapter, and it is a small way for me to recognize this good relationship. On the other hand, if they go stupid on a price, I have to go elsewhere, but I first give them a reasonable chance to quit sucking eggs.

As an example, if I need an OE part, and my dealership can get it at near the OE direct price, I go with the dealer. OE gets the business, my dealer gets a markup, and I get the part. As the mob would say, "everybody gotta wet their beak a bit".
/emoticons/emotion-1.gif

Snake

·
Registered
22,677 Posts
ratphlem, any word on how busy your dealer will be there in abilene? I'm thinking I might bring my bike up there to do this work. I'm don't really have a warm fuzzy feeling about my yamaha dealer here in Houston. Besides, my parents live up that way and my dad likes to take her for a spin every chance he gets.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts