RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two days ago I had a strange feeling that the clutch is working incorrectly. Today the effects of malfunction increased. I set up the cable very carefully. Almost rided to home, as suddenly the effort on the clutch lever was gone. While I was on the road, I assumed that I had sentenced another barnet cable (I had sentenced 2 before). But after inspection, it became clear that the cable was intact, but there was no effort on the clutch squeezing rod.

I took the bike to my friend's service. I had several assumptions, but one version was basic. For her, I was prepared in advance. I had a cap gasket, oil residue for the engine, and a release plate bearing. Why? Because I always keep a small stock of parts and consumables, especially those units, with the breakdowns of which I encountered before or heard about them from the nearest environment.

And that's what the autopsy showed. As I expected, the release bearing collapsed. But I could not assume was that the barnett would make the separator plastic. PLASTIC! Which stands against six red springs! Idiocy!

In my case, I was very lucky to face this problem in the city, close to home, close to service. I ran into this in less than 3,000 kilometers!

Barnett, you did ****!

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
On my previous warrior I've used 511-90-10002 plate with gold springs and with green springs for about 70.000km. Had no problems. But my friend had a problem with this bearing then it was with steel separator. That only one story. Other users was happy. But this time with plastic separator :mad: I think I could broke it even with gold springs. In Russia, in Moscow high trafic, we use the "gray zone" of clutch very intensive. But previous version of plate was much more solid than modern with plastic!

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Very doubt in this version. The cost of the bearing is nothing compared to the cost of plate milling. I have already filed a claim on the barnett's site.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
I was about to be buying 3 Barnetts pressure plates with gold springs... Hearing about Barnetts milling of the teeth being too shallow and now this... maybe I'll just buy Yamaha spring clutch instead .....Item number 26 on the fiche.

After reading about a few saying that the 3 plate mod works good with the Barnetts pressure plate, I'm wondering if that mod would work with the Yamaha spring clutch?

Good luck with your repair and Barnett claim freeezzzz .... Something you should never have had to do.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Barnett claim is in process. They said that they don't use plastic anywhere. I don't believe them. I have so many info about installed product, pictures, buying data on Ebay, etc, etc.

This problem I already solved. I've replaced bearing to Koyo.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm not sure about plastic, but not metal exactly. Mass is less, no magnetis and structure is fibrous which is visible even in the photo. I sent all the information to the barnett website, I have all the boxes.

If someone hope forges such a detail with this bearing - this is stupid. Moreover, I have never seen bearings with such separators available for sale. It turns out that if someone had a motive to make a copy a plate, he accurately copied the product of the barnett, all the markings, their location, the color of anodizing. With the same problem of milling, which as I read on this forum and wich I saw my self. Barnett has recognized this and exchanged defective plates, customers told. And plus all, the "fraudster" found a very strange and rare bearing with a plastic separator? :rolleyes: A lot of inconsistencies. I think barnett is not the brand that makes sense to fake. And all the more, the barnett recognized some of their mistakes already.

Mistakes happen to all. The task to get to the truth :confused:

·
Premium Member
8,769 Posts
freeezzzz … sorry to read of your issue with the Barnett supplied Throw-out bearing (TOB). Imho the Koyo branded bearing should do the task fine.
I do remember one forum member some years ago that after a couple of failures replaced the TOB with a $60.00 ceramic bearing but never reported back as to its outcome.
Link/url enclosed below.

As you probably know Bearing Cages/Retainers come in several type materials:
  1. Steel alloy
  2. Non-Ferrous Metal (aluminum, copper & zinc Alloys)
  3. Non-metallic polymers & composite materials such as plastic etc.
barnett coil spring conversion kit throwout bearing replacement

I would suggest that you inspect the Clutch Pull-Rod Face thoroughly for any damage/pitting and pack TOB with proper grease during assembly!

I've had the Gold springs in my Barnett clutch kit for probably +40K miles and have never experienced any issue but don't ride under the same conditions that you do in Moscow.
Lots of my miles were stacked up in Southern California traffic but Lane Splitting was legal ;)

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I remember this topic about the ceramic bearing, I also found it.

Waiting for responses from barnett. How will the new information, I will write.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Barnett Spring conversion truth

Email sent to Freeezeeee..

Petr,
The spring conversion you have for your Yamaha is supplied with gold springs that are rated at 75lbs at installed height. This will give you 450lbs of clamping pressure on the clutch pack. We also list a heavier spring in our catalog and website #501-82-06023, that will increase the clamping pressure to 492lbs. Theses are green in color.
The bearing in the pressure will handle these pressures fine. The red springs that you used are rated at 100lbs at installed height for a total of 600lbs clamping pressure, way above the capacity of the bearing. That is why the bearing failed. The billet pressure plate conversion was never designed to be used with anything beyond the 492lb pressure rating. These are sealed bearings and the 'plastic' you refer to is the seals on either side of the bearing that seals in the bearing lubricant. They became dislodged when the bearing failed

There is no information in any Barnett catalog, website, brochure or literature that recommends using the red springs with this pressure plate conversion. We have never advised the use of the red springs in this application.

Just because there are postings on the Roadstar website or elsewhere that someone has used them, doesn't make it correct.

We will not warranty the bearing failure because you used springs that were not designed to be used with this spring conversion pressure plate.

Barnett Tool & Eng.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Barnett Support

Please, we see many other issues listed that could be simply fixed with a call or email to our tech support.

·
Premium Member
2,717 Posts
Email sent to Freeezeeee..

Petr,
The spring conversion you have for your Yamaha is supplied with gold springs that are rated at 75lbs at installed height. This will give you 450lbs of clamping pressure on the clutch pack. We also list a heavier spring in our catalog and website #501-82-06023, that will increase the clamping pressure to 492lbs. Theses are green in color.
The bearing in the pressure will handle these pressures fine. The red springs that you used are rated at 100lbs at installed height for a total of 600lbs clamping pressure, way above the capacity of the bearing. That is why the bearing failed. The billet pressure plate conversion was never designed to be used with anything beyond the 492lb pressure rating. These are sealed bearings and the 'plastic' you refer to is the seals on either side of the bearing that seals in the bearing lubricant. They became dislodged when the bearing failed

There is no information in any Barnett catalog, website, brochure or literature that recommends using the red springs with this pressure plate conversion. We have never advised the use of the red springs in this application.

Just because there are postings on the Roadstar website or elsewhere that someone has used them, doesn't make it correct.

We will not warranty the bearing failure because you used springs that were not designed to be used with this spring conversion pressure plate.

Barnett Tool & Eng.
This sounds wrong. Their bearings comes with their pressure plate.
The red springs are for their pressure plate.
Their catalog says or used to say you can use any of their springs and even mix 2 different color springs if needed. This does not sound right or make sence.

Well my question is, what application DO red springs go with then?
Ha ha, maybe there for some other manufacturers pressure plate

·
Registered
4 Posts
We do NOT use the red springs with any of the spring conversions. Yes, you can mix the springs that are furnished WiTH the kits. But you cannot randomly take any springs we offer and use them.

·
Premium Member
8,769 Posts
My $.02 on this subject is that the TOB should NOT be sealed.
You'll get better lubrication with an open bearing for this application.

My install back in Dec 2007 and the Manufacturing date.

OEM TOB also open

·
Premium Member
2,717 Posts
We do NOT use the red springs with any of the spring conversions. Yes, you can mix the springs that are furnished WiTH the kits. But you cannot randomly take any springs we offer and use them.
Lmao, No. You can also mix which was stated.
I think I will go and talk to them again since there close by.
I'd like to see this email and not a copy and paste of what is said.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I think this is all news to a lot of us on here. Hate to think how many of us have parts in our bikes that are not warrantied like we assumed they were. Sucks that we as Warrior owners usually stand behind them as a company whether it's for the conversion kit or cables, they're who we recommend. Even when having to send back pressure plates because they didn't work. Also sucks to know that they don't seem to stand behind their product, or don't make a product for the Warrior that is enough quality that the red springs wouldn't be a problem,

·
Administrator
28,394 Posts
Mike39,

As a service to our members and to Barnett, a long-trusted manufacturer, I will telephone Barnett management after the holiday in order to make inquiries on this subject. Toward that, please send me your information by Private Message so I can refer to you as contributor. This will help confirm that you represent Barnett.

Please know that many of us have had telephone conversations and face-to-face conversations with Barnett at motorcycle events around the country over many years.

My own conversations with Barnett on the specific subject of gold green red springs with the SR2 are counter to your statements here. Red springs have been sold with the SR2 shipping at the same time on the same order. Red springs have been listed with gold and green without further comment to where red should or should not be used. Dozens of members here have run red springs for years without commenting on failure or issues. So your comments here appear to be incorrect to those of us who have been around for over a decade.

It appears possible Barnett has made a recent change and has failed to communicate or warn recent buyers and has continued to ship red springs without notifying buyers. Or possibly once we have confirmed that you speak for Barnett (forgive us but at this point we do not know who you are) we will lean more.

In the meantime could you please refrain from further comments here. If you have comments or questions please send me a Private Message okay. Thank you.

Everyone, please also refrain from red-spring-bashing until we get confirmation. I will post specifics here, with Barnett contact information, when known. Thank you.

ArizonaWarrior

1 - 20 of 58 Posts