RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everybody ("Hi Dr. Nick"),

My name is Tom and I'm from Huntington Beach, CA. I'm a computer geek (mainly Macintosh) by trade. Used to ride daily about 15 years ago (just turned 40) but haven't really rode since. I have a few friends with Harleys and a brother with a Ducati 999 and Bourget Chopper. I keep seeing them head out on weekends and it's time for me to get out also. /emoticons/emotion-1.gif

After doing some research (and with a recommendation from an aquaintance who works on the Yamaha Road Race Team) I found the Warrior and loved the look of it immediately. Then I found this forum which has kept it in the front of my mind for a month. So now here I sit trying very hard not to just take the day off and go buy an '06 Midnight.

It's one of those "I can afford it but I really shouldn't" kind of things. It's also a central part of my future "get my fat ass off of the couch" health plan.

Anyway, just wanted to introduce myself. If anyone in the SoCal area sees a Dodge 4x4 with the plate HB Hemi that's me. Stop and say hi.

Tom

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
quote:Originally posted by lagalaxy8

Your about to get about 1000 new best friends. Find a nice used one. Also check out the riders forum, you will find a bunch of socal guys.

I have been looking at used ones, but with the 5.9 interest rate the payments on a new one are only about $30/mo more. Besides, if I go new I can pick and choose what to Mod. [/emoticons/emotion-2.gif]

Tom

·
Registered
22 Posts
quote:Originally posted by HB_Hemi

quote:Originally posted by lagalaxy8

Your about to get about 1000 new best friends. Find a nice used one. Also check out the riders forum, you will find a bunch of socal guys.

I have been looking at used ones, but with the 5.9 interest rate the payments on a new one are only about $30/mo more. Besides, if I go new I can pick and choose what to Mod. [/emoticons/emotion-2.gif]

Tom

Yeah, I was looking used also, but that is a great rate for a new bike, so once my VFR is sold. I am either going for a 06 or 07!!!

·
Registered
3,582 Posts
would take the plunge!! Black is nice, but gray is the fastest color!!! buying new does have its benifits, can mod it like you want and dont have to worry about what previous owner did.

·
Registered
7,696 Posts
Welcome to the site Tom, the Midnights are beautiful, great choice. Go on, take the plunge, you know that you will eventually so why wait? You only live once so enjoy it while you can - oh and don't foget to do the Rider Training Course to refresh your riding skills before you try to outride your Brother in the twisties [/emoticons/emotion-5.gif]

·
Registered
4,573 Posts
Tom, Welcome to the Forum. You state "I can afford it but I really shouldn't". Maybe a better queation would be can you afford NOT to do it?

·
Registered
735 Posts
My Warrior is my first bike and I couldn't imagine any other bike I'd rather have. Take the plunge and start livin' Tom!! [8D][/emoticons/emotion-5.gif]

·
Registered
6,075 Posts
Welcome to the site, and congrats on your decision to go get yourself the most fun bike out there. Now you just have to get it. Good luck.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
First update. . .

I went and got my Class M permit this morning and got insured on a bike. My brother has a 1991 Nighthawk 250 that I will take the rider's class on.

Saturday or Sunday should see me at my local dealer trying to get a good deal on the '06.

What does everyone here think about the Jafrum Full Face Flip Up helmet?
http://www.jafrum.com/s.nl/it.A/id.2980/.f?sc=2&category=188

Tom

·
Registered
6,406 Posts
Yeeha! You'll have to post some pics! I always love it when someone gets a new bike.

I picked up an inexpensive flip-up off ebay. It's a decent helmet - but I'd guess the more expensive ones will seal better than the cheaper ones (mine has a lot of interior whistle sometimes). I'd say you found a good deal. You might consider a tinted lens also...

·
Registered
54 Posts
Tom.I think buying any motorcycle comes with that"maybe I shouldn't" feeling. I ignored it, took the plunge, and been happy ever since. Some things in life, you can't put a price on...

·
Registered
159 Posts
Well? What are you waiting for? Just do it!

btw, I'm not a fan of the 'flip-up' helments. You won't find a flip up that SNELL rated. The only rating you will find is DOT, which is a self certificaiton (meaning the manufacturer tests the helmet and attests to the DOT that it passes). SNELL tests are independent, and they test 'retail purchased' helmets and the manufacturer then reimburses them for the cost.

The flip up hinge is right next to your temples, and the manufacturer removes insulation to make the hinge fit, thereby removing some very critical protection in a rather sensitive area.

So, either by a half or 3 quarter, or buy a full face. I own all three types. But in my opinion, avoid the flip-ups like the plague.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts