RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just changed my oil and the filter. When I went to put oil back in I put in 5 quarts and followed the owners manual for instructions. Now after putting all 5 quarts in, the oil does not even reach the dipstick after letting it idle for a couple of minutes. There are no leaks by the way. I did a search and found that everybody was putting in 5 quarts, so are there any ideas about what i did wrong, or should i just keep adding oil even though the owners manual only calls for a little more than 4 quarts.

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
First you need to get the oil up to operating temperature. Take the bike for a quick ride. Then remove the seat and check the oil with the bike upright and the dipstick just resting in the top of the oil tank. Do not run the engine like this or you will have an oil shower.

·
Registered
7,926 Posts
Run your bike for a few miles, not minutes. Let it warm completely and you will get accurate readings. You're ok.

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
I dump in 3 qts start it then after I shut it down add 2 more.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Five quarts here w/ filter change. Maybe even a little more. But ya gotta run it untill it's completely warmed up. Then let it sit (off) for 10 min. before you check it.

·
Registered
4,619 Posts
quote:Originally posted by MrWilson

Five quarts here w/ filter change. Maybe even a little more. But ya gotta run it untill it's completely warmed up. Then let it sit (off) for 10 min. before you check it.

i dont belive there is a need to wait at all after you shut it down.... the oil your checking is the oil level in the tank. with the bike off, the oil pump isnt turning, so all the oil in the heads, cylinder and what not, that drains to the bottom is going down to the sump, it wont effect the reading at all....

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the help everyone. I rode for a while then checked the stick again and the oil is all the way at the top.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts