RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 11" wide fender for my 250 tire and was trying to figure out a way to widen the stays to fit the fender without spending $$$$$$ to have the stays modified, after all we're only trying to gain 1/4" per side. I used a piece of PVC pipe (1-3/8 ID x 1-5/8 OD schedule 40) to make some spacers. I will probably end up making some aluminum ones that surround the bolt holes later as a final products but these gave me the spacing I need to accommodate the 11" fender.

Here's the piece laying inside the fender stay.

·
Premium Member
2,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh yeah, one other thing. I will most likely be replacing the tubular dowels that are pressed into the fender stay with longer ones to insure proper alignment.

·
Premium Member
8,921 Posts
Pep said:
Oh yeah, one other thing. I will most likely be replacing the tubular dowels that are pressed into the fender stay with longer ones to insure proper alignment.
The hollow dowel pins are easily removed as you are aware and req'd when swapping over to the chrome fender stays.

Anyway, here's an easy solution for little money and lots left over to resell if i did my due diligence correctly

The existing dowels are 14mm OD x 10mm ID x 16mm lg based on the P/N's (Dowel:99530-14016-00 & Bolt 17:92014-10060-00 )

http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/115/131/=i3t3u

50295K322 (Same as 50295K321)
Metric Carbon Steel Seamless Tubing
14 mm OD, 10 mm ID, 2 mm Wall Thickness, 1 Meter
In stock at $16.24 Each

Just out of curiosity, why didn't you use 1 1/4" SCH80 PVC/CPVC pipe with the heavier wall (0.191-0.200)

EDITED: BTW, nice solution to the challenge

·
Premium Member
2,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
AlanH said:
Pep said:
The hollow dowel pins are easily removed as you are aware and req'd when swapping over to the chrome fender stays.

Anyway, here's an easy solution for little money and lots left over to resell if i did my due diligence correctly

The existing dowels are 14mm OD x 10mm ID x 16mm lg based on the P/N's (Dowel:99530-14016-00 & Bolt 17:92014-10060-00 )

http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/115/131/=i3t3u

50295K322 (Same as 50295K321)
Metric Carbon Steel Seamless Tubing
14 mm OD, 10 mm ID, 2 mm Wall Thickness, 1 Meter
In stock at $16.24 Each

Just out of curiosity, why didn't you use 1 1/4" SCH80 PVC/CPVC pipe with the heavier wall (0.191-0.200)

EDITED: BTW, nice solution to the challenge

First of all, thanks for the link to the McMaster Carr tubing. That should do the trick. And thanks for the compliment on finding a solution. It pays to think like McGuyver once in a while. Remind me to show you the parts I made to adapt drag bars to the Suzuki Intruder . No one was making an adapter kit so I went to Ace Hardware with the triple tree and was able to make one for less than $13.00.

Also, the schedule 40 gave me the spacing I need.

·
Registered
44 Posts
hey pep, i was wondering if u could send me the dimensions u used for those adapters. also, are the warrior stays straight or are they tapered in?

·
Premium Member
3,725 Posts
I widened my stays by 30mm and made new spacers and longer dowels which are 100% crucial for security and strength - -especially if you intend to carry a passenger.

.....You may want to consider using slightly longer bolts.

Spacers and long dowels.

Extra long stainless bolts too.

·
Premium Member
2,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Jarv,
I'm a little confused by what I see. In one photo you show the frame with long dowels pressed into a sleeve and in another photo you show long dowels pressed into a sleeve in the fender stay. Can you explain what you did, how you did it and how this all goes together?

·
Premium Member
3,725 Posts
Apologies - yes the pics are slightly confusing. I see what you mean....
One pic shows the dowel and spacer pressed into the frame - and the second pic shows the same dowels and spacers pressed into the stays.
But it is only one pair per side. I can't remember the exact sizes, but for example -The dowel is 40mm long, through the center of the 30mm spacer, allowing 5mm at each end to fit into the stay... and the frame.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts