RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking of having a couple coats of clear put on my rear fender.Has anyone done this?I had a new fender installed under warranty and find that it is getting slight scratches already.It seems like if there is any clearcoat on it then it is minimal.A buddy of mine is a painter and said that it is no problem to do,but just wanted to check with you guys before doing it.Also am going to have my lower cowl done to help prevent any rock chips.
Let me know what you all think about it.
Thanks Dwayne..

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
If it were mine I would try to buff it first.

Score a bottle of Mcguires # 3-----Bout 10bux
Ace hardware has a 5 or 6 inch buffing pad mounted to an arbor for your 1/4 inch drill---about 5 bux. Works real good on bike size parts.

Almost impossible to burn the paint with the #3, just follow the directions on the bottle.

Cover the rest of the bike with a bed sheet or what ever to keep the splatter off everything.

Buff it twice then use your fore arm to touch the fender & feel the temperature of it. The under side of your arm between the wrist & elbow is much more sensitive to heat. If the fender is getting warm & it needs another buffing wait untill it cools off.

Clean it up & wax it.

The lower cowls really take a beating, mine needs repaint already. Another coat or two of clear will chip off just like the color does when rocks hit it.

There is some clear stick on paint protector available & I'll do that to the cowl after I repaint it. Don't recall the name right now but maybe another rider will chime in here with the info.

·
Registered
209 Posts
quote:Originally posted by Churchkey

There is some clear stick on paint protector available & I'll do that to the cowl after I repaint it. Don't recall the name right now but maybe another rider will chime in here with the info.

Well, not a "rider" <g>, but it's not for lack of desire! Anyway, I do get the chance to collect a lot of info. Here are a couple of the "plastic paint-protection" products for your consideration.

http://www.autosupermart.com/shop/3m84853.html

Hope that helps...

·
Registered
395 Posts
quote:Originally posted by ydoc

quote:Originally posted by Churchkey

Well, not a "rider" <g>, but it's not for lack of desire! Anyway, I do get the chance to collect a lot of info. Here are a couple of the "plastic paint-protection" products for your consideration.

http://www.autosupermart.com/shop/3m84853.html

Hope that helps...

Custom made to fit the Warrior gas tank:

http://www.thetankslapper.com

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Church,I will have it buffed before putting any clear on it.I was just thinking it would help protect it better than whats on it now.I agree on the clear plastic for the lower cowl.I actually have a piece now that I will try on it.

Thanks for the links Ydoc and Fredster.

·
Super Moderator
8,496 Posts
Too much clear won't help. The material used in clear coats is too soft and any time you repaint without baking the finish on you're always setting yourself for more problems. I'd follow churchkeys advice, buff out the hazieness and give it a good coat of wax. He's right about chipping too, the more clear you have the deeper a chip is when it occours; less is better.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts