RS Warrior Forum banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Thanks!!!

Awesome response, gang. Way more advice than expected....glad I found this forum.

I ordered two keys from a guy on eBay this morning and even sent him the VIN number to make sure they were right. He said I needed the key code to have them cut, even though the guy at the Ace Hardware store looked at the original and didn't think he'd have any problem cutting new ones.

No sh*t in the dealership ripoff. The clown wanted me to pay $48 (plus tax) to get a blank, and they don't cut keys there, so obviously would have to go to another place and pay for the cut. I'm sure there are morons who don't know better (or care) who open their wallets and hand the cash over.

·
Vendor
7,301 Posts
Also, bring the bike with you to get them cut. Make sure they work in all locks before you leave (Ignition, GasCap, Seatlock). Each of my 6 didn't work in one lock or another. I went back in and the guy "cleaned up the cuts". The next try, only one didnt work in the gas cap. Took it back in and he ran it under the wire wheel for a bit and it worked like a charm afterwards.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I was told $24. for the blank and $20. to punch it from my vin #. I got the key and a few other throw in free because the silly tech at the dealership forgot to tighten up my exhaust and caliper bracket bolts when doing the TPS & pick up coil recalls.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
I was riding with my ex-bro in law when I noticed I was way ahead of him. I pulled over and when he caught up he said "PULL IT OUT...WHAT IS IT?". I looked down at his leg and saw a small stream of blood leading up to a key stuck in his leg like a knife. I pulled the key out and noticed it was the spare key for the bike. I hit a bump while in front of him and lost the magnetic key holder that was inside my rear fender. The holder shattered and guess where the key went.

Just and fyi on magnetic key cases.

·
Registered
787 Posts
I went to a local feed store that cuts keys and the guy used a key blank for an old Toyota. He even let me take it home and try it before paying for it.
The only difference is there is a little lip on the outside edge of the key but it still works like a charm!
Price was about $3, plus gas back to pay for it a couple days later.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Administrator
28,152 Posts
This sounds promising because these days its not possible to identify the key based only on the VIN, and a number of years ago Yamaha USA said they no longer allow employees to access factory records to identify the key code (that comes on the little punch-out slug when new). Yamaha's national (USA) key vendor cannot do it either, they need a key to cut a key.

If possible, could you post the Dealer info so we can have another place to go because if they can cut a key solely from a VIN then we are all very very interested in having access to them!

I realize it might be that they still archive key codes from sales files and therefore might only have codes for bikes they sold. That seems rare these days but dunno. Back when we were all trying to figure out what to do when guys lose their only key, it turned out that everyone here who was working on it discovered their dealer no longer archived key codes (and similar) and had not for years. Something about a bunch of lawsuits where thieves were stealing buyer info from files and nobody noticed until LEO's did the math and came knocking at the dealership. The thieves made keys and went around targeting and stealing those bikes still at the buyer's file address. I forget the particulars.

But if that dealer has access to Yamaha factory (Japan) key code files then I for one want to know!

I was told $24. for the blank and $20. to punch it from my vin #. I got the key and a few other throw in free because the silly tech at the dealership forgot to tighten up my exhaust and caliper bracket bolts when doing the TPS & pick up coil recalls.

·
Administrator
28,152 Posts
You planned it that way didn't you . . . :eek::D

I was riding with my ex-bro in law when I noticed I was way ahead of him. I pulled over and when he caught up he said "PULL IT OUT...WHAT IS IT?". I looked down at his leg and saw a small stream of blood leading up to a key stuck in his leg like a knife. I pulled the key out and noticed it was the spare key for the bike. I hit a bump while in front of him and lost the magnetic key holder that was inside my rear fender. The holder shattered and guess where the key went.

Just and fyi on magnetic key cases.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
I wish I was that good. I wouldn't have believed it if the key didn't work on the bike. Would have been a long time before I noticed it missing. I forgot it was there and it took me a minute to realize what happened since the key was a copy key and looked nothing like the original.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had same problem as yours

You have to search om www.amazon.com I've bought a couple of blank keys by only $11 so go ahead it's cheap and i'll get them cut after I recieve them
I'm a newbee here, so be gentle please (spit on it first, okay??)...

I just purchased a '07 Warrior Midnight with 15K miles, drag bars, pc3, custom exhaust (not sure of manufacturer), custom grips, stainless braided cable covers, new battery & rear tire - totally enjoying riding this monster.

I only got one key from the guy and want to get a couple of extras, just in case. Went to a local dealer (Parker Yamaha, Parker AZ) and they want $48 for a blank (& they don't cut keys there!!). Went to the Ace Hardware and found what looked like the right blank in the reference book, but not on the rack. Ace guy said he could order, but would have to order an entire box of keys. Checked eBay and every posting was not compatible. That gives me concerns about having Ace Hardware order a box and find out they aren't right ones.

Any suggestions on where to get the right key blanks? Can these keys be cut on a regular key machine (old school, manual type)?

·
Registered
276 Posts
This sounds promising because these days its not possible to identify the key based only on the VIN, and a number of years ago Yamaha USA said they no longer allow employees to access factory records to identify the key code (that comes on the little punch-out slug when new). Yamaha's national (USA) key vendor cannot do it either, they need a key to cut a key.

If possible, could you post the Dealer info so we can have another place to go because if they can cut a key solely from a VIN then we are all very very interested in having access to them!

I realize it might be that they still archive key codes from sales files and therefore might only have codes for bikes they sold. That seems rare these days but dunno. Back when we were all trying to figure out what to do when guys lose their only key, it turned out that everyone here who was working on it discovered their dealer no longer archived key codes (and similar) and had not for years. Something about a bunch of lawsuits where thieves were stealing buyer info from files and nobody noticed until LEO's did the math and came knocking at the dealership. The thieves made keys and went around targeting and stealing those bikes still at the buyer's file address. I forget the particulars.

But if that dealer has access to Yamaha factory (Japan) key code files then I for one want to know!

Cyclesport Yamaha
8544 East U.S. Hwy 6
Hobart, IN 46342

219-962-4770 / 866-6yamaha
www.cyclesportyamaha.com

·
Registered
997 Posts
Here's the one that I got from the previous owner. Unfortunately, it broke off in the seat lock (but that's another story). I personally think the skull and tribal theme tend to be overdone on bikes but I liked this one so much that I wanted the exact same one. It took a long time for me to find a replacement. I could only find two sources on the 'net and, stupid me, I took the cheaper route. The two that I purchased look (almost) as good but there's a definite difference in quality. The new ones are lighter and not as well made. I don't know what they're made out of but the old one felt like pewter - heavier and more solid. (sigh) You get what you pay for I guess.
0501121245.jpg IMG_3493.jpg

I know you already got replacements but for future reference, here's another site that has some pretty cool keys. If I couldn't find the skull key, I was considering the switch blade key. Kinda pricey though.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Story Continues...

So I ordered and received 2 key blanks via eBay. I ran some errands (not on the bike) last week and one was stopping into the Ace Hardware store in Blythe (31 miles from home) to get some larger metric bolts for the bike (backrest - original owner had used a variety of bolts and it looked crappy) and get the keys cut. Young woman cut them for me and off I went (no charge).

Got home that evening and neither key would work in any lock - ignition, fuel or seat release). Got my saddlebags the other day and while installing them realized that bolts purchased were not long enough for the brackets. Rode the bike down to Blythe today (**** cold....46 degrees!!) and different young lady said that the new keys were cut to skinny. She found a blank and make one, but it didn't work either. Did get longer bolts for the saddlebag bracket mounting, so not a totally wasted trip, and actually a nice ride in the desert.

Just ordered two more blanks via Amazon this time (the black 'original' Star keys). I did look at some of those custom stiletto and skull keys but didn't feel like sheckling out the coins for one yet....will put one on my Christmas list.

Again...thanks for all the great advice from all of you.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I'm looking for keys too glad I fell upon this one. I ride to sandiego a few times a year, twice now. It's a nice ride. Good luck. You'll love the beast.

·
Premium Member
3,936 Posts
FYI - I remember posting a long time ago, a company that could duplicate your OEM key from a picture. As it turns out, our keys have only 3 or 4 "peak" options, for 3 or 4 positions. They can surmise the key from a picture. You have to provide them a Driver's license and registration before they will provide a key (proof that your not stealing it).

I believe it was a steel key for $60.

Zona, did you save this in the stickies somewhere?

21 - 40 of 42 Posts