RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2005 Road Star Warrior Midnight edition.

I got her about 2 -3 months ago with 2,069 Today I reached 5,500 Miles wen't on a camping trip with some club members and all of a sudden my RPM gauge was stuck with 3 solid bars they did not increase or decrease they stayed lit up at about 69 MPH. Kept going for about 3 minutes and the bike completely died out while doing 70 MPH went black....
Pulled over checked all my fuses non were blown, Turns out the battery didn't stay charged ? I replaced the battery and it started up just fine and all Guages working. Now my question is should I check my stator / or Starter to see if its bad or is there a common issue I should be looking for ? I did use the search button but too many things came up haha.

Much love <3 Any advice is great before I start just ordering **** parts.

·
Administrator
28,594 Posts
Did you do any recent modifications or repairs? Is there any reason your battery POS or NEG could be loose or badly corroded?

Did all the other lights keep working?

Are all of your front and rear lights stock? In particular do you have stock front running lights / turn signals in each housing? And what about the stock license plate light, is it still there?

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did you do any recent modifications or repairs? Is there any reason your battery POS or NEG could be loose or badly corroded?

Did all the other lights keep working?

Are all of your front and rear lights stock? In particular do you have stock front running lights / turn signals in each housing? And what about the stock license plate light, is it still there?
Only thing I added was a trickle charge, Everything went black no lights period, Dead / Dead. Had a buddy jump me with the old battery still hooked up but as soon as we disconnected the jumper cables my bike would just die again. Installed new battery today checked out the terminals nothing was corroded and I followed them up under the tank to double check. Front light has a HID conversion kit installed stock turn signals front / Rear end has Blaster X tail light installed and Integrated tail light.

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Only thing I added was a trickle charge, Everything went black no lights period, Dead / Dead. Had a buddy jump me with the old battery still hooked up but as soon as we disconnected the jumper cables my bike would just die again. Installed new battery today checked out the terminals nothing was corroded and I followed them up under the tank to double check. Front light has a HID conversion kit installed stock turn signals front / Rear end has Blaster X tail light installed and Integrated tail light.
Now prior to this when I first would turn over the engine it would take a second to start and the check engine light appeared for a brief second every time.
But for the past 3 months never had the issue etc.

·
Administrator
28,594 Posts
This sounds dumb but could you turn on your key and see if the front running light bulbs illuminate? Not the blinkers but the running lights. They should be incandescent bulbs sharing two filaments: running light and blinker in same bulb. We only care that the running lights work.

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This sounds dumb but could you turn on your key and see if the front running light bulbs illuminate? Not the blinkers but the running lights. They should be incandescent bulbs sharing two filaments: running light and blinker in same bulb. We only care that the running lights work.
They do now but when the issue happened no lights when key was turned.
New battery installed everything is working fine but my concern is that the stator or something along those lines weren't keeping the old battery charged because when I say old battery it was from 2019 so not old, I don't want it to happen again with the new battery.

·
Administrator
28,594 Posts
Okay good. Your bike battery did not go dead because of click-of-death (cod). That is good. Moving on.

Tell me about the trickle charger hardware, and its connector adapter you installed. Also tell me about your battery, is it AGM or Lithium?

Read-up on how to test a battery for Parasitic Drain. Mostly it can come from items added onto the bike. But ignore that and keep an open mind. Especially if the bike had prior ownership. We want to see if something is bleeding the battery when its key-off and parked.

Also I am assuming all other bullets above were checked verified blah blah right!

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay good. Your bike battery did not go dead because of click-of-death (cod). That is good. Moving on.

Tell me about the trickle charger hardware, and its connector adapter you installed. Also tell me about your battery, is it AGM or Lithium?

Read-up on how to test a battery for Parasitic Drain. Mostly it can come from items added onto the bike. But ignore that and keep an open mind. Especially if the bike had prior ownership. We want to see if something is bleeding the battery when its key-off and parked.

Also I am assuming all other bullets above were checked verified blah blah right!
This is the trickle charge that I installed

The battery is this guy here had to get it on the fly Since I was stuck on the side of the highway so not many options near by

·
Administrator
28,594 Posts
Keeping this separate:

AFTER testing for parasitic drain (to keep your brain on one new thing) it may be necessary to test the Rectifier-Regulator and its tricky to understand. Please also learn to do that testing by itself. The basic steps are in the manual. If I am unavailable (am traveling next couple days) then no worries the talent resources here are abundantly at your call!

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Keeping this separate:

AFTER testing for parasitic drain (to keep your brain on one new thing) it may be necessary to test the Rectifier-Regulator and its tricky to understand. Please also learn to do that testing by itself. The basic steps are in the manual. If I am unavailable (am traveling next couple days) then no worries the talent resources here are abundantly at your call!
Thank boss man much appreciated, I'm going to get her all patched back up tomorrow and I'll do the Parasitic drain test and see if anything is causing it to drain and report back !

·
Premium Member
3,536 Posts
One thing to always check is the wiring. So when you did the Blaster X was the wiring stock or was it boogered up? This is something that the previous owner might have been sloppy with and can cause a problem.

Like Arizona said the positive and negative cables never get any love. They can and do corrode from the inside so check to see how they feel like does it crack and crackle when you bend them? Do they have clean contact points?

Also recheck that HID headlight and make sure nothing funny is happening inside your headlight bucket. I did have a friend of mine who installed a check conversion and that thing put out so much heat it start melting some wires inside his headlight bucket unbeknownst to him.

Finally when you regain some patience give the wiring a quick go thru and just check to make sure it all looks good and nothing is spliced, burnt, corroded or just plain funky. Try all the free but time consuming stuff first before you start dropping money into her. Next would be checking the rectifier-regulator.

·
Registered
635 Posts
testing the regulator is quick and easy though if you have a multimeter.. though checking the wiring is a good idea anyway

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Keeping this separate:

No Parasitic drain hooked up everything today.
I think the old battery from prior owner was bad because, I noticed the trickle charge now turns green and old battery never indicated green.
When I start the bike the check engine light shows for a brief moment but goes away when the motor turns over that's normal right ?

·
Registered
629 Posts
I installed a HID off Ebay and it took out my generator! Had to replace the stator. Check the HID first. I'd install an LED. I just ran across the smallest form factor I have yet to see. I may replace my Cyclops with their version. https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07WNN6P9W/?coliid=IIZTMJSHC35IS&colid=NO4ERB1YEOGK&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it The entire fan goes into the reflector leaving only the terminals outside the spring clip.

·
Premium Member
225 Posts

I got her about 2 -3 months ago with 2,069 Today I reached 5,500 Miles wen't on a camping trip with some club members and all of a sudden my RPM gauge was stuck with 3 solid bars they did not increase or decrease they stayed lit up at about 69 MPH. Kept going for about 3 minutes and the bike completely died out while doing 70 MPH went black....
Pulled over checked all my fuses non were blown, Turns out the battery didn't stay charged ? I replaced the battery and it started up just fine and all Guages working. Now my question is should I check my stator / or Starter to see if its bad or is there a common issue I should be looking for ? I did use the search button but too many things came up haha.

Put a meter on the battery and read the sitting voltage, then start the bike and see if it changes, should be at around 14 volts when it's running

1 - 20 of 21 Posts