RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of you know, my street sweepers finally arrived via UPS last week. I'm waiting for a warmer day to install them, but my question is this.

I have the pipes, but right now I don't have the power commander or the AIS kit. I plan on getting both before spring, but once I install the street sweepers can I safely start the engine and listen to the exhaust without potentially causing damage to the engine? I'm not planning on riding it. I just want to start it up and listen, maybe rev it a few times.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
You will certainly not damage the engine by running the SS without a PCIII or AIS blockoff. Now if you ran the bike with no headers at all, then that could potentially cause some damage. If you are really anal, you can bump the ECU couple of points before installing the exhaust, and that way you will have a much richer idle and therefore be in a much safer zone.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Hey scoper, are you going to install the PCIII by yourself. I have never done it, but I also need to get mine done over the winter. From the research that I have done, it looks to be pretty easy. What is the actual advantage to the AIS blockoff, besides eliminating the pops? Sorry for partially stealing your thread.

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
Scoper50 said:
As some of you know, my street sweepers finally arrived via UPS last week. I'm waiting for a warmer day to install them, but my question is this.

I have the pipes, but right now I don't have the power commander or the AIS kit. I plan on getting both before spring, but once I install the street sweepers can I safely start the engine and listen to the exhaust without potentially causing damage to the engine? I'm not planning on riding it. I just want to start it up and listen, maybe rev it a few times.

No worries bud!! Iwould even ride around the block on a warmer day. I'm running the stock header with a 3" tip at the end... no baffles/muffler.I simply bumped the ECU up 3 points and after a full summer of riding the plugs are a bit black so I'm gonna back it down.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
davidd said:
Hey scoper, are you going to install the PCIII by yourself. I have never done it, but I also need to get mine done over the winter. From the research that I have done, it looks to be pretty easy. What is the actual advantage to the AIS blockoff, besides eliminating the pops? Sorry for partially stealing your thread.

Yes, I am going to install it myself once I save up enough money to buy one. Should be a couple months.The install looks pretty easy if your mechanically inclined. It requires removal of the gas tank, which is intimidating to some people. As far as the AIS block off kit, as far as I know the only reason to remove it is to get rid of popping and back firing. If your engine is popping and back firing you are eventually going to cause damage. AIS which stands for Air Injection System is basically a smog pump used for emissions. So by removing it you would think you would gain some horsepower. But I honestly don't know. Generally emissions related items choke the engine and sacrifice power. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong. But I would appreciate it if this thread would stick with the original subject. Almost all my threads get hijacked.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
AIS injects fresh air into the exhaust stream to burn of any remaining hydrocarbons, thus reducing emissions. Blocking it will often reduce the deceleration popping, but never completely. You will also gain zero HP by blocking it off. You will gain HP by installing a VBAK. As far as installing a PCIII, it is a very easy procedure, but you want to follow Frankenstein's method of "Perfect INstall." Do a search and you will find the thread with pictures. This metthod allow you to do a digital ground which will give the PCIII a more stable throttle position thru the sensor (TPS) and it will also help get a more accurate custom map.

·
Registered
3,343 Posts
I've had Bub Chambermaids on my bike since Yamaha MFGinstalled them at the factory. I didn't do the AIS blockoff until I put in a VBAK. As far as PCIII goes, never even thought about installing one and just bumped the ECU up. I'm sure that I could get a little more power, but I'm okay with the setup I have. If I'm too cheap to get a PCIII, you know a $$$ custom map is going to be tough.

·
Registered
692 Posts
RX_Warrior said:
AIS injects fresh air into the exh As far as installing a PCIII, it is a very easy procedure, but you want to follow Frankenstein's method of "Perfect INstall." Do a search and you will find the thread with pictures. This metthod allow you to do a digital ground which will give the PCIII a more stable throttle position thru the sensor (TPS) and it will also help get a more accurate custom map.
This only applys to the older PCIII's they have since updated the TPS (throttle position sensor) connector so the perfect install to get the digital ground is not needed as it has been incorporated into the design by Dynojet. Here's the fun part - they didn't change the P/N so if you order one ask the dealer if it has the newer TPS connector. If it does your all set, if you happen to get an older model Dynojet will upgrade you for I believe a small fee if you send the PCIII to them.

Check with fuelmotousa.com for PCIII's. They have best price I have seen and they know PCIII's and should be able to guarantee you the latest model.

Also I started mine up as soon as I got my pipes on (and before the PCIII) cause I just couldn't wait to here it. Shouldn't cause you any issues

·
Vendor
4,401 Posts
I have ground pounders and nothing else on the bike. I have it all..VBAK PCIII AIS block,,just sitting in the boxes.. I rode all summer long no probs...

·
Registered
999 Posts
You will not hurt it. I have HK American classics, and No pc3. I rode like the for awhile before I did the ais removal. The ais removal did remove alot of the popping, but not all of it. It runs great the way it is. I did also bump the ecu a few points.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts