RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I just recently purchased a 2006 Warrior, and since it's still too cold to ride of course I am going nuts with mods. One of the things I usually change on my bikes is the stock seat. I've had 2 Corbins before and loved them, but I am a little nervous about getting one for this bike because of all the reports of damage to the rear fender, etc. Have they fixed these issues yet?

I would like to have the option of a backrest for a passenger, should I aquire one someday (GF). I know the dual tour and rumble seat provide this option, but I have two issues with these:

- I've read numerous reports of the passenger seat destroying the fender

- they look too big and bulky for the lines of the bike

In the past I've had Corbin reshape and trim down a gunfighter seat for my FZ6 with great results. However, that bike did not have a painted fender under the rear portion of the seat. I am worried that having them trim down say a dual tour may cause even more damage especially with a backrest installed.

The other things I'd like to do are get some saddlebags with easy brackets and some kind of backrest. I am not sure whether it's best to have the backrest in the passenger seat itself or mounting one to the fender stays and modifying to work with easy brackets.

Any advice on which direction I should go would be great, thanks!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the link, however I have already scoured the forums for several days on this topic. It seems as much of the information is at least several years old, and my questions were more of the nature of have the issues been resolved in newer Corbin seats (scratching, denting fender)? I am just trying to find the best combination of rider/passenger comfort, backrest, and bags, without destroying my fender or looking bulky/ugly. This is why I asked for people's opinions today, as the products may have been improved sincea few years back when all the seat topics were originally discussed. Thanks.

·
Administrator
29,681 Posts
OK my apology. You make a good point

I notice a few posts talk about adding clear protective film at the bumper contact points for the dual tour (shown below), but I don't see follow-up that it works, or that the clear film can be removed for solo seat cruising. There's several rubber bumpers around that baby. I'd say your question is a good one. Hopefully some of the guys with the dual tour will chime in.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Really,

Bags,backrest, passenger?

Sounds like you should have bought [ just kidding ] a Goldwing!

You have a thourobred. Why dress it like you're going to pull a wagon. Let that baby run with the wind!

It just amazes me why people by this bike just to make it into a plain cruiser.

To each his own.

Good luck with your transformation.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Why am I doing it? Well, because I'd like the option of being able to go on a road trip for a few days, as well as just making the commute to work easier - I am tired of strapping on a heavy backpack every time especially when it's hot. I know that I am more likely to ride the bike like this. Also, getting someone to ride with me isa lot easier for my piece of mind and for hers with a backrest, plus you can tie down more luggage to it if needed for trips. I don't plan on running the bags every day, so I'll use easy brackets. I think I found the perfect solution for me, posted by "bstewart" a few years back. I'll probably use some rounder, more modern bags though. The Custom World backrest seems to work well with Corbin solo and pillion, which is probably what I'll do because I think with a seperate pillion and no integratedbackrest, damage to the fender would be minimized. Correct me if I am wrong, though!

·
Registered
3,821 Posts
I keepreading and laughing at the "why ruin the lines of a great bike" comments sinceI think it's one of the great strengths of the Warrior in that it can be a 6300 mile cruiser for me last July or a Boulevard bomber all the rest of the time with a simple change of seats and windshield.

Leanne Tweedon, in a mag article, likened a ride on the back of a Warrior to being worse than a gynecological exam so considering a change of passenger seats is probably a good option:} I have an 02 which is slightly different to yours of course but I am very happy with my YoungGuns and DualTour seats. Be aware that Corbin quality control is less than non-existent so call often after you place the order to make sure it hasn't changed. If the seat isn't rock hard when it arrives, it's been made wrong. After 1500 miles your seat matches your 'seat' and will be amazingly comfortable.

I have put some very thick 'clear bra' where the DualTour sits on the fender and it has held up well so far.

I used the backrest from an 1100 vStar (sssshhhhh don't tell anyone!!) and it works perfectly. It's higher than the Chrome World one so will support whatever bag you use. I have the Kuyakyn Throw-over bags with EasyBrackets and these are amazingly good. On and off in 10 secs or less:}:}

Fully loaded on our 6300 mile trip last year. Handled incredibly well except on I-80 in Wyoming trying to pass trucks at 90 mph with high cross wind.

Memphis Shades BigShot, DualTour seatplus V-Star backrest and rack

My Sport Tour Warrior

This doesn't relate to the seat but it may inspire you to travel:}:} Have fun....

·
Registered
4,961 Posts
I have the Corbin: Dual Tour Sits me too much up and forward.. awesome for butt comfort though

Young Guns Not geared to passenger...very comfortable ..did 1500 miles in 2.5 days

Stiletto/Stinger Again not geared to passenger..probably my favourite for rider position...used on trips

Hollywood solo.. Hard. but good for several hours have done some weekend trips

Hollywood pillion Ok around town for shorter girls...5'9" girlfriend sits back too much for it to feel safe

Tour Pillion ... pretty good for girlfriend comfort... I have one of the older models that accepts backrest but we haven't used it much. I think they discontinued this option due to pressure on the backrest causing denting of the fender. The newer Tour Pillions don't accept a backrest.

I have aftermarket paint and I find the seats will mist up the clearcoat. So with a solo seat you can notice. I think my Young Guns (sort of a solo) would cover the marks made by either pillion but the Stiletto tapers in more and exposes those points.

With solo seat, Tour pillion and a bolt on backrest you might have something somewhat workable . But really you won't know until you try it. I lost 25 lbs and my comfort level on various seats changed. Let me know if you need some pics. some in gallery.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks very much fcwarrior and bruce59 for all the advice, experices,and pics. I'll have to do some research on the 1100 vStar backrest as another option. I wonder if I could have corbin make me a dual tour with about 2/3rds the height so it doesn't look as high on the fender? Either that or I'd like something inbetween a hollywood and regular solo that's more dished out, and a pillion somewhere intbetween the regular and touring as well. Maybe I'm too much of a seat snob ;).

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
Bryman said:
Why am I doing it? Well, because I'd like the option of being able to go on a road trip for a few days, as well as just making the commute to work easier - I am tired of strapping on a heavy backpack every time especially when it's hot. I know that I am more likely to ride the bike like this. Also, getting someone to ride with me isa lot easier for my piece of mind and for hers with a backrest, plus you can tie down more luggage to it if needed for trips. I don't plan on running the bags every day, so I'll use easy brackets. I think I found the perfect solution for me, posted by "bstewart" a few years back. I'll probably use some rounder, more modern bags though. The Custom World backrest seems to work well with Corbin solo and pillion, which is probably what I'll do because I think with a seperate pillion and no integratedbackrest, damage to the fender would be minimized. Correct me if I am wrong, though!

Hi Bryman, My buddy 3youngns has a cool setup for his warrior for when he goes on long trips!For luggage space, he used a set ofFrank Thomas Cargo Sport Saddlebags mounted on Easy Brackets which I think looks pretty clean. Check out the picture below! I think he also has the dual tour seat with the backrest like you are looking for. Just an other option to consider! Good luck!

·
Registered
325 Posts
I went with two seats. I have the Corbin Dual Tour for longer trips and going 2-up. I also have a Yamaha Stilletto for short (<45 min) trips.

I don't like the lines of any of the 2-up seats, so this has worked for me. When I have the Dual Tour on, I'm okay with the bike looking ugly for utility purposes. Once, I did go to a bike night with the Dual Tour on and one comment I heard was, "Wow, that's a good looking bike. . . except that seat just doesn't go."

I didn't get any damage on my fenderfrom the seat. I did keep the clear pads that were under the stock pillion. I cut down two of the rearmost pads so they weren't exposed with the Stilletto on.

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
I went with the Mustang vintage seat on my 06 It says it is only for 02-03. But you get the inner fender and front seat latch. And drill new holes in your fender you can make it fit.

I have had extremely good luck with it. I rode it for 2000 miles in 5 days. I was a little a little sore, but you will be sore from that on any seat.

My wife really likes the seat. She feels its really comfy.

Here are some pics:

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks guys for all the pics, advice, and different options. Don't really like the idea of drilling my fender, but I do like the mustang seat and how the pillion becomes part of almost a driver's backrest. I am thinking of having Corbin build me a seat similar to the Mustang, but at maybe 2/3rds the height. Of course, I'll have to save my pennies for a while first ;).

·
Registered
325 Posts
Well, since you mentioned driver's backrest. Another nice thing about the Dual Tour that I forgot to mention eariler, is that you can put a backrestfor the driver aswell. Here, I have the backrest in the front postition. I put a post in the rear slot and used that to anchor my barrel bag. Corbin also has a backrest that has cutouts to give the passengers legs a litt more room.

·
Registered
24 Posts
No need to drill the rear fender at all for modding up the Mustang seat. Took me about 30 min to get it fully installed in my 06 Midnight and that thing is as secure as I need it to be.
Safely sits someone on the rear when you need it, good back support, looks decent for a comfy 2 up seat too.

Although being taller than stock it does put you more in the wind which is a bit of a pain given that I drive mine on a 75mph (so average about 90mph) 70 mile round trip to work each day.

Its hard to explain, I went into purchasing my Mustang seat with the intention of drilling the fender but decided it didnt need it. Wasnt scared of drilling it as i'm an aircraft mechanic just didnt see any need for it.

·
Registered
881 Posts
I've had my Mustang on for a while and believe me those two bolts that hold the rear pillion on is all you need. The wife loves it too!! No holes drilled here!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts