RS Warrior Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SO this winter tearing down the body panels and the tank to fix some dragon damage. While im doing that Im also going to add some new "features" to the beast. I want to change the air induction. Now I like the induction on the left side of the bike, so I dont want to get rid of it. I like how it gives the bike a wider design. But I do want to put induction on the right side and ditch the cover. Has any1 ever done or heard of taking another air induction (from the left side) and flipping it and mounting another one on the right side? Obviously there would be some modding involved, but I wanted to know if it has ever been done b4? If not, that will just give me more drive to do it......

"You can say it can't be done, just don't interrupt me while I'm doing it..." -MDFDWarrior

THanks guys!

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
You can by the speedstar one for both sides. Check through the galleries, a few guys on here have it already done. These are however for looks only.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Correct and they cost. I think $150 per side... to much for just looks IMHO. i Have been looking for something to fill the right side as well and will probably cut some plate Aluminum into a neat shape just to fill in. Who knows. so much to do so little money

Aaron

·
Registered
45 Posts
Check out this link:

http://rswarrior.com/forums/t/29278.aspx?PageIndex=1

it gives a detailed walkthrough on how to make a bracket so that you can attach the same air cover on the left side to the right. Although as stated previously its just for looks. It will not do anything except hide something if you wanted to put it in there. I have been meaning to do this, I've had the cover for some time but haven't gotten to it yet. If you do this, you will need to change to a different air system such as the V-BAK. Also note that the left side cover is not perfectly symmetrical but ends up looking alright anyhow.

·
Registered
820 Posts
There have been a few guys on here who have modded the left side cover to the right side but it would be nonfuntional, for looks only to have matching sides. Do a search.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the help guys. Its just what I was looking for. Thanks for the link Kyle! Ill make sure I put some pics in my gallery after I do this this winter!

·
Registered
45 Posts
no problem. I'm hoping to get to mine in the next few weeks depending on how lazy I am...or busy. keep an eye on ebay and this site, you should be able to find a spare left side cover for around 50 bucks or so. Good luck.

·
Vendor
7,301 Posts
Questions...

Is the purpose of this mod to increase the amount of air that is available to the intake?
If so then a VBAK is MUCH better than any funnelled air system you can buy
Is it to provide positive pressure to "force" more air into the intake?
You would need to have a large scoop of some sort with piping that speeeds up and compresses the air efficiently enough tomake a difference at speed -remember the air filters will create resistance to airflow. Turbo setup would provide the best solutionIMO.
Or is it just to have matching covers on both sides of the bike?
The speed star air scoop for the right looks similar to the AIS scoop on the leftbut it only marginally inceases air flow and is more for looks than anything. There is the ability to put the left scoop on the right but a custom bracket needs to be made to do it.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
RobRiguez said:
Questions...

Is the purpose of this mod to increase the amount of air that is available to the intake?
If so then a VBAK is MUCH better than any funnelled air system you can buy
Is it to provide positive pressure to "force" more air into the intake?
You would need to have a large scoop of some sort with piping that speeeds up and compresses the air efficiently enough tomake a difference at speed -remember the air filters will create resistance to airflow. Turbo setup would provide the best solutionIMO.
Or is it just to have matching covers on both sides of the bike?
The speed star air scoop for the right looks similar to the AIS scoop on the leftbut it only marginally inceases air flow and is more for looks than anything. There is the ability to put the left scoop on the right but a custom bracket needs to be made to do it.

? 1. Everyone has said that putting a scoop on the right side is for looks only, however I was planning on trying to see if there was a way to make it functional. Ive seen alot of people talk about the VBAK, what is it?

? 2. Id like to increase the amount of air that enters the intake.

? 3. I saw the link on how to build the custom bracket, kyle provided the link to it for me.

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
dualxhst289 said:
? 1. Everyone has said that putting a scoop on the right side is for looks only, however I was planning on trying to see if there was a way to make it functional. Ive seen alot of people talk about the VBAK, what is it?

VBAK stands for Velocity Big Air Kit this kit includes velocity stacks. there is also a BAK without the velocity stacks. A VBAK basically removes your entire airbox and replaces it with a velocity stack attached to a K&N filter there are two of them, one for each throttlebody. lots more airflow than the box and one of the best "bang for the buck" mods you can do for the warrior

·
Vendor
7,301 Posts
I think it stands for VERY Big Air Kit but I like Velocity better.

Anyway, One of our members makes the kit. (Churckey). It is arguably the best way to get more air into the engine (without a turbo). Add anAIS blockoff and AkitaDog (another member here) Coil Relocation plate and it allows you to not only add performance, stop some of the 'popping' or backfiring but it also cleans up the frame and engine very nicely. Then if you want to put a fancy cover back or something nice just for show you can do that rather easily. Or not and leave her naked.

·
[Retired Admin-SuperMod]
30,555 Posts
The stock left side scoop is the AIS cover. If you flip one onto the other side I don't think its symmetricalfrom the front (could be wrong it's been awhile since I saw one). There's pics here someplace.
joshuaerdman said:
There have been a few guys on here who have modded the left side cover to the right side but it would be nonfuntional, for looks only to have matching sides. Do a search.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Smash, Rob and AW....thanks for the help. I guess ill be getting in contact with churchkey for the vbak and with akitadog for the ais block. All the insight you guys are helping me with is truely appriciated. Im hoping to get alot done to the bike this winter and then ill be able to show you guys come Warrior Fest!

·
Registered
3,899 Posts
here's an interesting note...

I recently took apart the speed* scoop cover to clean it. I noticed that there was a bit of dirt that collected on the inside in such a way as to pattern a stream of airflow into and up the snorkel...I have the Patrick Racing VBAK and I reused the rubber snorkel from the stock airbox to connect to the speed* scoop. I would venture to say that it looks like air is making it's way into the scoop, up the snorkel and directed into the area of the K&N filters...Just how effectively, I do not know but the dust and dirt patterns show apparent signs of the airstream and path....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts